Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Factory Tow Hitch Kit for Gen 5 Explorer c/w Video

ieee_raider

Reaction score
City, State
Paris, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I haven't done this mod yet, but wanted to share what I found in case anyone was interested.

You can add a factory trailer hitch after the fact. Now, this doesn't include the oil cooler, but it does include the new bumper pieces so you have the full factory look:
Ford Part # BB5Z-19D520-AA
Youtube Video of Installation: (no longer available)

Here's the cheapest price I've found online so far ($227.15): http://www.levittownfordsupercenter.com/ford-explorer-trailer-hitch-class-p-284.html
Plus you need the wiring harness: http://www.levittownfordsupercenter...ler-hitch-wiring-harness-connector-p-283.html

I know this doesn't give you the full ability of a factory install, but at least you get the look instead of the dropped down hitch!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That link says its a Class I hitch... Is it a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver?
My factory receiver is a Class III 2" receiver.

That link says its a Class I hitch... Is it a 2" or 1-1/4" receiver?
My factory receiver is a Class III 2" receiver.

Yeah, it looks like Class I is the only available after-market from Ford...
Which makes sense. Without the other things that come in the factory package, you should be limited to 2,000 lb towing capacity, which is Class I category.
So, having said that, people shouldn't be installing Class III hitches aftermarket because you shouldn't be hauling class III weight anyway. I'd bet that was Ford's line of thinking.

This is for boneheads like me who didn't get the factory hitch but still want to be able to tow small loads. My only regret with my Ex.

OK, looks like I found the assembly for the factory hitch...
I can't tell if it can be installed "after the fact" though... tough to say!
http://www.lakelandfordparts.com/p/ford__/hitch-asy---trailer-t/9267915/bb5z17d826a.html

65020405A.jpg

Thoughts??

2011-2015 Ford explorer Class III Trailer Hitch Install -VID-

when i installed my hitch i decided to do a little fun video of it, im sure it might come in handy for someone else. I decided to replace my stock wiring hardness with a OEM 7 pin wiring harness as well to give it the 100% factory install, im very happy how it turned out.

The hitch comes with the manual and comes with the tow hitch cover and some extra bolts to mount it.

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the whole process and you can DIY.

Great video Boss302R! Thanks for sharing

Hitch size

Is the hitch set for a 2 inch receiver?

when i installed my hitch i decided to do a little fun video of it, im sure it might come in handy for someone else. I decided to replace my stock wiring hardness with a OEM 7 pin wiring harness as well to give it the 100% factory install, im very happy how it turned out.

The hitch comes with the manual and comes with the tow hitch cover and some extra bolts to mount it.

Hopefully this will give you a better idea of the whole process and you can DIY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkllIGbjV7s

Boss302R, do you have the part number for the OEM 7-pin Trailer Wire Harness??
Thanks

Sooo from all you experts how much is it reasonable to tow..? I am downsizing from an Expedition to a 15 sport however still need some ability to tow a car trailer with a 73 dart once in a while and also to pick up a car here or there and also my class II compact tractor with bucket and hoe from time to time short distances.. .. Any coments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkllIGbjV7s

Do you happen to have the part number for the Factory 7 pin connector? Also is it a 4/7 pin opening or just a 7 pin?
Am debating whether to just add a Curt or the OEM hitch and trim the bumper... Although the aftermarket ones appear like they are well build, the OEM Ford one just looks more robust and appears to be held in place by a few extra bolts also...

Do you happen to have the part number for the Factory 7 pin connector? Also is it a 4/7 pin opening or just a 7 pin?
Am debating whether to just add a Curt or the OEM hitch and trim the bumper... Although the aftermarket ones appear like they are well build, the OEM Ford one just looks more robust and appears to be held in place by a few extra bolts also...

I've tried looking for the OEM 7-pin trailer connector with no luck, so I went ahead and ordered the following:

http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Ford/Explorer/2011/118272.html?vehicleid=201132660

I'll be trying this out to see if this works or not, as well as plugging in the 4-pin trailer connector at the same time to see if I run into any issues or if everything works.

Boss302R, I'm looking to do exactly what you did. I'm set to pull the trigger and buy the hitch, but what was the part number of the wiring harness you got? Where did you get it from? Also, when I watched your DIY video I noticed you drilled several holes in the rear side of the bumper before cutting out the hitch area. What were these holes for? To mark where you'd be cutting on the front? I was confused by that but otherwise the video was an AWESOME DIY! Thank you for taking the time!

I too am wondering about the part number for the trailer connectors. I want the full factory setup and wondering what wiring and connectors I'll need. I've found the hitch and the tow button and trim panel. Just needing to know about the wiring.

So after doing some digging and making phone calls, this is the correct part for a 13-15 Explorer, w/backup sensors, w/tow and w/o blindspot. It has the 4 and 7 pin connectors on the harness. Hope this helps others.

Part number is DB5Z-15K868-D

sorry guys, here is the harness i used Db5T-14N139-LB but i think they are making the new part number now according to explorer82 its DB5Z-15K868-D

Best advice i can give is ask the dealer to make sure 100%. make sure you have or dont have blind spot sensors, because that means the harness has 2 big connectors or 1 main connector.

sorry guys, here is the harness i used Db5T-14N139-LB but i think they are making the new part number now according to explorer82 its DB5Z-15K868-D

Best advice i can give is ask the dealer to make sure 100%. make sure you have or dont have blind spot sensors, because that means the harness has 2 big connectors or 1 main connector.

So did you have to run a wire all the way up front for a brake controller? I'm reading in some other threads that some people had the brake controller plug hidden right on top of the parking brake even though their explorer did not have the towing package. With a 7 pin hookup out back that corresponds and connects to the oem brake controller plug upfront it would make the install very clean. And you would avoid having to drill holes through the firewall to run wires from the battery into the passenger compartment.

So did you have to run a wire all the way up front for a brake controller? I'm reading in some other threads that some people had the brake controller plug hidden right on top of the parking brake even though their explorer did not have the towing package. With a 7 pin hookup out back that corresponds and connects to the oem brake controller plug upfront it would make the install very clean. And you would avoid having to drill holes through the firewall to run wires from the battery into the passenger compartment.

I haven't checked yet, but that panel pulls right off if you want to check.

Sooo from all you experts how much is it reasonable to tow..? I am downsizing from an Expedition to a 15 sport however still need some ability to tow a car trailer with a 73 dart once in a while and also to pick up a car here or there and also my class II compact tractor with bucket and hoe from time to time short distances.. .. Any coments?

If your 2015 Explorer Sport comes with the factory tow package, it can tow up to 5000 pounds, with a tongue weight of up to 500 pounds. This specification assumes you have the vehicle loaded with a single driver weighing about 150 pounds. If you intend to load the vehicle with more than a single driver, you must subtract the weight of everything else you put in the vehicle from the total towing capacity. Also, whatever weight is carried aft of the rear axle must also be deducted from tongue weight capacity.

I have a trailer with a GVWR of 3200 pounds. To play it safe, I always assume the trailer is loaded up to 3200. In reality it's more like 2900, but this leaves me a little margin of error.

From the 5000 pound towing capacity, I must deduct 200 pounds for passengers, and about 150 for additional gear. So I have to take 350 from the 5000 pound towing capacity. 5000-3200-350=1450. I have 1450 in unused towing capacity.

As for tongue weight, my trailer's TW is about 425 pounds. The vehicle can handle up to 500 pounds. That leaves 75 pounds of capacity rear of the axle. So on that spec, I have to be a little more cautious about how I pack the vehicle.

If you are loading your trailer correctly (so as to minimize sway), you will probably exceed tongue capacity before you exceed overall tow capacity.

If your 2015 Explorer Sport comes with the factory tow package, it can tow up to 5000 pounds, with a tongue weight of up to 500 pounds. This specification assumes you have the vehicle loaded with a single driver weighing about 150 pounds. If you intend to load the vehicle with more than a single driver, you must subtract the weight of everything else you put in the vehicle from the total towing capacity. Also, whatever weight is carried aft of the rear axle must also be deducted from tongue weight capacity.

I have a trailer with a GVWR of 3200 pounds. To play it safe, I always assume the trailer is loaded up to 3200. In reality it's more like 2900, but this leaves me a little margin of error.

From the 5000 pound towing capacity, I must deduct 200 pounds for passengers, and about 150 for additional gear. So I have to take 350 from the 5000 pound towing capacity. 5000-3200-350=1450. I have 1450 in unused towing capacity.

As for tongue weight, my trailer's TW is about 425 pounds. The vehicle can handle up to 500 pounds. That leaves 75 pounds of capacity rear of the axle. So on that spec, I have to be a little more cautious about how I pack the vehicle.

If you are loading your trailer correctly (so as to minimize sway), you will probably exceed tongue capacity before you exceed overall tow capacity.

Not entirely correct. The tongue weight is the only weight that affects your GVWR. On the 4WD 3.5 Explorers you should have close to 1300 pounds of available payload... Realistically, as long as you aren't putting anyone on the 3rd row and leave the back fairly light (a suitcase or two should be fine) you can easily get a 500 pound tongue weight trailer in the back) and a full 5000 pound overall trailer weight. The max axle rating for the back is close to 700 pounds of payload I believe...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't checked yet, but that panel pulls right off if you want to check.

Ill play with it today when I get home if I have a chance. It would be great if the wiring is there and provides full 7 pin wiring functionality.

Back