going for the gusto... | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

going for the gusto...

No I am lifted, but I have messed around with shims and it is a pain to find the right angle if you don't know what you are doing and I don't.

Flipping the torsion bars looks easy enough, but you may beable to find a performance or lowrider place that will do it for you?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yeah that'd work great

try an independently owned alignment/tire/suspension type shop. they're not only more likely to do the job, their prices should be more reasonable.

i went to big-o-tires in seymour. the mgr. there used to be really cool and has lowered countless vehicles "the wrong way" (heating springs for example). when i told him what i wanted done to the rear, he got kinda ishtty. he tried to tell me it wouldn't work and why. after i told him why he was wrong, he got even ishttier. he told me he'd charge $100 minimum, more if he had ANY trouble. i told him that was crazy. he replied" no, lowering a car is crazy!". i had a good comeback, but it would have been a low blow, so i just shook my head and left.

Seymour Alignment charged me $20. that's a reasonable price i was glad to pay to avoid messing with it myself.

i lowered the front myself.

are lowering blocks needed in the back for about a 1.5 inch drop? or can something just be switched around? My front sets at 6" from the wheel to the body, but the back sets at about 4"

yes. 4 doors require blocks in the back. Sounds like you want to go pretty low. I used 1" blocks in the back and lowered the front 2.5". now it sits level.

... are 1.5 blocks made? or do i just need to use 1 inch blocks?

you can search around for em. I got my 1" blocks at 'the zone'. they didnt have 1.5". if they did, i might have gone for em. search around. if you have a local pepboys, try them.

This maybe a stupid question, but here goes nothin. Can you do this to a 4wd? Probably not but its worth a shot.

todd, I did it to my 4X4. BTW, IamChris

I just want to say thanks to Godfather for the detailed pics. I actually got 4 inches from the front and with 3 inch blocks in the rear with my stereo, got 4 inches all the way around. On the next sunny day here, I'll get some pics to put on here.

It's good. I have to slow down on bumps because the truck will hit the bumpstops, but i think I'm going to take those stops off. All they are ( I think ) is little hooks up front that it's hitting.

ummmmmmmmmmmmmm don't cut the bump stops

don't judge my truck from this pic <-----------------. but i am sitting on my bump stops right now, and cutting them off won't be a good idea, it is bad enough that when you drive too fast and hit a nice speed bump or something that will throw your fron end up in the air, it can take the weight off your torsion bars, and slide them out of their slots. that is what happened to me, it was scary, thank god i was going straight and not on a turn. if you ever happen to jack your fornt end up again and get the front wheels off the ground, go ahead and tug on your torsion bars and you'll see what i mean. the only thing that keeps them in place is the weight of the vehicle.

So that's what happened the other night. I was going around a turn and hit a little bump in the road and felt like i lost control and was scared for a sec. Ummm, that sucks. So is there anything I can do to stop that from happening besides slow down?

fastazz... how much are you lowered? I've got 2.25" in the front and I cut about .5" off the bump stops. I occasionally hit them. Do you think I am at risk of what you are talking about?

go to the 4 th page of this thread and scroll down to the middle

that is my truck after lowering with the TT adjuster swap. i would say about 4" total in the front from stock is what was dropped.

that is my truck after lowering with the TT adjuster swap. i would say about 4" total

What do you mean about an TT adjuster swap?

jsut like godafather did to his, using the 2-3 arm puller and pulling the torsion adjuster off, and turnign it around. i am not talking about letting the bolt out some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

o ok. I did that. I just didn't know it was called a "TT adjuster swap". LOL

Back