Time for tires | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for tires

Which to choose?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Alenza plus not in stock till end of June on tire rack....and my tire place said the same thing...about a month till they can get them..are they really this new?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Alenza plus not in stock till end of June on tire rack....and my tire place said the same thing...about a month till they can get them..are they really this new?
It isn't even shown on 1010tires.com which is a Canadian site. I sent them an email to ask about it.

Peter

It isn't even shown on 1010tires.com which is a Canadian site. I sent them an email to ask about it.

Peter

Crazy they were on the market..now seem to be backordred a good ammount

You might be the first person I know to say that they have liked the OE Hankooks. I've never personally had them as I have the 18" rims with the Michelans, but my friends that have the Hankooks can't wait to get rid of them. They do ok in the summer but when our Minnesota winters hit they said its all over the place. I'm going to have to try one of their Ex's to see for myself now. I've told them to go to winter tires but you'd be surprised how many people up here DO NOT use winter tires (myself included currently as I haven't bought them for the new car :D). Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to take a page out of Canada's book and require winter tires during the winter months.

I am so far very impressed with the Hankooks (20").

This comes from a person that is very critical in judging tires. I have no problems chancing tires brands right after buying a new car if I do not like them; and have done so several times. Not with these Hankooks. When I bought the car I was skeptical at first, but experiencing them now, I think they are an excellent balance in dry traction, quietness, and comfort. They are actually among the quietest tires I experienced.

I cannot judge driving in the rain, or cold weather. I probably will never do so as its 99% of the year dry here, with temps between 65F and 125F max. After some rain, the roads are as slippery as ice, due to all the oil settlements; no tire does good here when it rains. Also, they are only 2500 miles now, so long term judgement is still open.

toyo at II bottom line nothing better out there right now
nitto terra grappler if you change it up
same company though
personally the at II looks better same rubber compound and tread wear

My Alenza Plus are great in the rain...haven't had snow yet to try but so far seem great

I purchased a set of Alenza Plus's and did not like them. Very loud and rough riding - felt like snow tires. Swapped them out for the Ecopia's. Very quiet tire! Now, too the defense of the Alenza's - I put a set on my wife's Edge and they were quiet and smooth. So, did I get a bad set on the EX? Not sure. Regardless, I am happy with the Ecopia's.

Shumax

If anyone is considering the Blizzaks for a winter tire, tirerack is discounting the DM-V1 because Blizzak released the V2. I bought the 18's and saved around $45 per tire.

The V2's are supposed to have 15% more "block edges" but the DM-V1's have been a very well reviewed tire and having used them myself, love them. Nice to see them on special/closeout.

Just wanted to let everyone know a couple of things.

1. I got 66,500 out of the OEM tires on the 2011 Ex. Thought that was outstanding, and could have probably gone another 4-6,000, but...

2. Firestone was having a sale. Buy 3, get one free. Put a full set of Destination LE2's on today, and what a difference! Smoother, and you can't even hear them at highway speeds, much less in the city.

Everyone has their favorites, but these are worth looking into. Got great reviews on Tire Rack.

I replaced the OEM's with the same size: 245/60/18. Thought about going a little narrower, but decided against it at the last minute.

Just my $.02

Got the same tires and the same deal and am very happy with the Firestones after 2000 miles. They are highly rated on tire rack as well.

If anyone is considering the Blizzaks for a winter tire, tirerack is discounting the DM-V1 because Blizzak released the V2. I bought the 18's and saved around $45 per tire.

The V2's are supposed to have 15% more "block edges" but the DM-V1's have been a very well reviewed tire and having used them myself, love them. Nice to see them on special/closeout.

I have the same tire, mounted on rims, been through 2 winters with them
I find them fine.

Brian

We put some Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus on a couple of thousand miles ago and they are much quieter than the Hankooks ever were. They can howl a bit in aggressive turns (which my wife gets after me for doing) but the car is not a sports car and the tires hold tight and ride smoothly. The big test will be if we have another icy winter in Dallas. I will report back with some comments if (when) we get some slick stuff up here as to their all season winter prowess.

LTX_Michelin..

http://www.michelinman.com/US/en/tires/products/premier-ltx.html

60,000 Mile Manufacturer's Treadwear Limited Warranty
These MICHELIN® tires carry a 60,000 mile limited warranty in addition to the standard materials and workmanship warranty for treadwear or mileage.

Available on: Premier® LTX® Speed Rating: (H, V)

New AS Tires -

Just re-tired my truck with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, getting rid of the Hankooks. I think for Chicago, these will serve me well after talking to two people who had done the same last year with their 2014 Explorers. I'll post updates here after the season's snowfalls and tell you how they performed for me over the Hankooks. Buying a dedicated snow tire was not an option for me.

P1010823%20Large.jpg

P1010824%20Large.jpg

P1010828%20Large.jpg

Just re-tired my truck with Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus, getting rid of the Hankooks. I think for Chicago, these will serve me well after talking to two people who had done the same last year with their 2014 Explorers. I'll post updates here after the season's snowfalls and tell you how they performed for me over the Hankooks. Buying a dedicated snow tire was not an option for me.

How did these do in the snow we got about a week and a half ago? I'm trying to decide between the two tires below. Seems like there are pros and cons for each (obviously) and people that will swear by one or the other. I'm interested in your opinion as we live in the same area.

Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus
Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

How did these do in the snow we got about a week and a half ago? I'm trying to decide between the two tires below. Seems like there are pros and cons for each (obviously) and people that will swear by one or the other. I'm interested in your opinion as we live in the same area.

If you check out the Tire Rack site you'll see both are rated 4.5 out of 5 by customer reviews. It seems the Pirelli has more 9/10 than Bridgestone with the lowest scores being deep snow traction and ice traction.

Peter

Lucky me...I was out of town and my truck sat in the garage. It's still early though, so I'm sure we'll be hit again soon. I got mine at the Discount Tire in Oak Lawn, BTW. Jeremy there was experienced with these and the 2014 Explorer.

If you check out the Tire Rack site you'll see both are rated 4.5 out of 5 by customer reviews. It seems the Pirelli has more 9/10 than Bridgestone with the lowest scores being deep snow traction and ice traction.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I saw your numerous posts throughout this thread telling people to go to Tire Rack or 1010tires for reviews. I took you up on those posts but having a person with the same car as me in my same city is much more valuable than other people form Texas and such.

Thanks again.

I made it to 70,000 on the Hankooks and switched to the Pirelli tire a few weeks ago. They handled way better in the rain the past couple of days. I'm happy so far with the performance of these tires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are 2 groups of people that should be repeatedly punched in the throat.

1. Hankook for making such a pos tire and
2. Ford for actually using them on an Explorer.

Not all Hankooks are bad, I'm talking specifically about H426 used as oem tire on our Explorers. Just see reviews on Tirerack. Did you ever see worse reviews for oem tires?? Looks more like a cheap "made in some basement no brand name" tire you get when you have no money to spend.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Hankook&tireModel=Optimo+H426

They are ok (not great, just ok) when it's warm and dry out. When it's wet they are crap, when there's a little tiny bit of snow they are down right hazardous.

Front wheels spinning was a normal thing to me, something that just always happens and I'm not a spirited driver by any means.

2 times when it snowed I almost caused an accident.

Once when there was barely any snow on the road, just enough to cover the pavement driving on city street at about 15 m/h, red light comes on, car in front of me stops, I try to stop but car just keeps on sliding. Keep on pressing/unpressing brake pedal yet car acts like brake pedal doesn't even exist. So now I'm honking like a maniac for the car in front of me to move up. Thank god guy understood me and run that red light avoiding me hitting him in the rear. When I finally stopped I was in the middle of intersection. What a nerve wracking experience that was all while driving no faster than 15 miles on barely any snow at all with at that point almost new tires.

Second time I was coming back from mountain snowboarding and it just started to snow. My 4x4 could barely keep me on the road. (And believe me, I was driving veeeery slow and careful) Sliding everywhere, not being able to break,not being able to turn the way everyone else did, every single front wheel sedan went passed me without an issue when I acted like drunk guy that put on ice skating shoes for the first time in his life.

Who at Ford signed off on installing these on a car that's supposed to be this great 4x4 "takes you everywhere you need to go no matter the terrain" EXPLORER???? Why even have snow option when tires aren't able to handle even a bit of snow??

Back