2016 Sport WiFi | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport WiFi

tmay245

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Parked in my garage with the router on the other side of the wall, the sport doesn't connect to wifi.

The ssid was found on search, I type in the secret password, and it says:

Wi-Fi connection fault
Failed connection to network
Please check the security key settings and try again.

I dropped the wifi connection on my iPhone and was able to reconnect.

Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe reboot the router for good measure and try it again just the way it is.

(If your home wifi is running N mode, MFT prob wont connect.)

If no connection;
Turn off wifi securty and try connecting MFT.
If ok, then turn on weakest wifi security which is called WEP.
Try connecting.
If ok turn off WEP, choose 'normal' wifi security, WPA, and try it.

You do know that once connected to your home WiFi there is no added MFT functionality right?

You do know that once connected to your home WiFi there is no added MFT functionality right?

I agree!!! No functionality.

Actually, I was keen to connect to wifi thinking that it's just for MFT updates and nothing more. I'm not sure if there will ever be updates.

Great clue on N mode, and I'll look at WPA. You got me on the right track, good stuff!

Actually, I was keen to connect to wifi thinking that it's just for MFT updates and nothing more. I'm not sure if there will ever be updates.

That was the original plan back in 2011, but when MFT completely fell apart that functionality was abandoned as basic stability was the only priority. Now that SYNC3 has WiFi updates I doubt legacy MFT systems will see anything close.

As SGT1411 eluded to, the MFT system does not update via WIFI and never will. The only way it updates is to use the USB updating.

yeah, the whole wifi thing has been a hoax since launch back in late Dec 2010

I wonder if there will be an upgrade path to Sync3 without swapping out the entire vehicle...

Back