Rear strut replacement, 03 Eddie B. Model | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear strut replacement, 03 Eddie B. Model

NotAFordGuy

Reaction score
City, State
Boyers, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Ford Explorer
I'm pretty damn good with my tools and take on any thing when it comes to suspension on my vehicles. Having said that, I asked my mechanic if he would like to have the job of replacing the rear struts in my 03 Eddie B. model Explorer. He refused the work, saying he thought he'd have to lift the body off of the subframe to get them out. I think he's wrong. What do you guys think?

I watched a YouTube video of a guy changing rear struts on an 02 Explorer. Didn't look that bad to me, but I thought Ford did some redesigning after 02....don't they call it the 02 and 1/2? We have an 03. How bad is it to change the rear struts?

Also, where is the search function for this forum? I'm sure someone's got some good info and has had this come up before. Thanks for any help, guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The search function is just below the picture of the three Explorers.

The rear struts are easier than the front. Been some time, All I remember, is doing it myself, I used a 2x4 as leverage by sitting on it. That's all I remember.

Edit: oh yeah, now I remember why I've mentally blocked this moment of my life out. There are rear (useless) rubber bumpers (1 per side) where the top nuts are. I couldn't get a socket in there and had to use a hack saw to cut through the rubber until I could gain access to the nuts.

Rear struts are pretty easy. I also have an 03 EB. Just did the rears in July.

Hardest part was the 3 nuts on the top. They were super rusted and it was a very slow process getting them off.

As Number4 said, you will a long piece of wood or pry bar to pull down the LCA to clear the bottom of the strut.

It took me about 2 hours per side in my driveway. I imagine I could do it half that time or less in a shop with proper tools.

My advise would be to use ratcheting wrench's to get the nuts off the studs through the strut mount. It is very close to the body but there is enough room to get it apart without having to lift the body off

My advise would be to use ratcheting wrench's to get the nuts off the studs through the strut mount. It is very close to the body but there is enough room to get it apart without having to lift the body off

x1000. That's the one tool I wish I had when I did it.

Back