• Register Today It's free!

Front side accent lights stay on

johnnnyo

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
Hi all. Just picked up my new 2016 Explorer sport and I'm loving it. Looking forward to learning and sharing info here. I was wondering if anyone knew how to turn off the front side accent lights. The ones that wrap around the headlights. We like to go to the drive in but I cant find a way to turn them off with the car in aux mode with the radio on. Just sitting with the car running and all lights turned off those lights on the front sides still stay on. Thanks for any guidance you can give.
Sorry about the duplicate post. I posted in the wrong area yesterday and don't know how to delete it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. Just picked up my new 2016 Explorer sport and I'm loving it. Looking forward to learning and sharing info here. I was wondering if anyone knew how to turn off the front side accent lights. The ones that wrap around the headlights. We like to go to the drive in but I cant find a way to turn them off with the car in aux mode with the radio on. Just sitting with the car running and all lights turned off those lights on the front sides still stay on. Thanks for any guidance you can give.
Sorry about the duplicate post. I posted in the wrong area yesterday and don't know how to delete it.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
Do you have the 'Aux' on so that you can have the radio on? If so, unless they have changed things with the 2016 model, you don't have to have the 'Aux' ON. That should turn the lights off.
The radio can be turned ON even with every thing else turned OFF. You don't even require the Fob to be in the area.

Also it would help if you added the 'model' (Sport) to your profile so it appears in the margin when you post.

Peter

It's a sport model and if I'm at the drive-in and I want to turn on the car for heat or a/c I cant because the accent light will not turn off. I cant even turn them off with it in aux mode. I don't see any switch to turn them off.

Guess I have to go back to the dealer to see if they can figure this out.

Guess I have to go back to the dealer to see if they can figure this out.
There is no way to turn them off with the vehicle running. It's not designed to be able to turn them OFF as far as I know.

Peter

Just out of curiosity... applying the parking brake, any difference? Our VW works that way.

Tried the emergency brake but no luck. Just got back from the dealer and they have no clue as what to do about it. I guess I mught have to pull a fuse. Now to find out which fuse it is, hmmm.

I'm not sure how's those lights are wired but it sounds like a stuck or broken relay but I would imagine that the mechanics would have check that out

I'm not sure how's those lights are wired but it sounds like a stuck or broken relay but I would imagine that the mechanics would have check that out
There is nothing wrong with them. That is the way they are designed to work.

Peter

Tried the emergency brake but no luck. Just got back from the dealer and they have no clue as what to do about it. I guess I mught have to pull a fuse. Now to find out which fuse it is, hmmm.

Try fuse 70 in the engine compartment fuse box.

Trailer tow left-hand and right-hand stop
and direction indicator lamps.

Looks like the fuse boxes have changed a little on the 2016 model.

Peter

Google "Police Dark"
I've read that a dealer can program the explorer to turn lights and chimes off , as needed by Police so They can be stealthy.
I'd like to try it to see if it gets rid of the dang double honk warning .

Google "Police Dark"
I've read that a dealer can program the explorer to turn lights and chimes off , as needed by Police so They can be stealthy.
I'd like to try it to see if it gets rid of the dang double honk warning .
I checked that yesterday and it looks like that just disables the interior lights.

Peter

I checked that yesterday and it looks like that just disables the interior lights.

Peter

I have yet to see any pics of a 16 PI utility with the front difused LED lighting. I believe they are closer to the base explorer, which also doesn't have the LED accents.

I asked the dealer about the police package for the interceptors with the "Dark Car Mode" and the tech said he didn't see it in the computer. Not sure if #70 would be for those lights (Trailer tow left-hand and right-hand stop and direction indicator lamps) trying to see where the plug is for the lights but everything is so tight in there.

I asked the dealer about the police package for the interceptors with the "Dark Car Mode" and the tech said he didn't see it in the computer. Not sure if #70 would be for those lights (Trailer tow left-hand and right-hand stop and direction indicator lamps) trying to see where the plug is for the lights but everything is so tight in there.

The direction indicator lights I believe are the same as the parking lights which are the ones staying on, I believe. Perhaps I'm misinterpreting what you mean by 'accent' lights.

Peter

The thin strip of lighting that runs around the outer edge of the whole headlight assembly.

The thin strip of lighting that runs around the outer edge of the whole headlight assembly.
Gotcha. I forgot the 2016 has a new headlight structure. I don't recall seeing any fuse designated specifically for that. In fact I don't see any fuses for the headlamps at all!

Peter

Yeah, neither did I. Just got off the phone with Ford and they cant help either. Gave me a case# and that was it. The person I spoke to searched her data base for awhile but no luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks for the help and if I find out anything I'll update. Maybe others with this issue can call Ford and get a case# and start something up for a fix. Ford contact# 1800-392-3673.

Back