• Register Today It's free!

Upgrading from 2006 to 2015?

nleipziger

Reaction score
City, State
Langhorne, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
Hello all, I have a 2006 EB that I've had for 9 years with 176k on the ODO. I love this SUV and it's been an incredible ride. I'm thinking of giving it to my daughter and getting a 2014 or 2015. Any opinions from anyone that upgraded to the newer SUV from the older style? Comfort, quietness, features? Thanks for your input.

Neil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I went to the 2016 from the 2006 Eddie Bauer edition, I like most things about it, but miss the back window not being able to open separate from the lift gate. To me it feels more like a mini van than a truck.

I had a '04, '06, '08. and '10. The '14 I have is certainly a girly car compared to them. It's fine to drive, just don't plan on taking it off road...it gets ugly quick!

I have an '09 Sport Trac and my wife drives our '15 Sport as her car. What I don't like on the '15 is there isn't as much leg room for your left leg as there is on the older generation models. Didn't notice that on the test drive but for me the '09 is more comfortable.

I have an '09 Sport Trac and my wife drives our '15 Sport as her car. What I don't like on the '15 is there isn't as much leg room for your left leg as there is on the older generation models. Didn't notice that on the test drive but for me the '09 is more comfortable.

We went from a 01 to a 15 sport and this is my only complaint...didn't notice it till I drove it an hour home from the dealer..a lot less footroom for your left foot.

We went from a 01 to a 15 sport and this is my only complaint...didn't notice it till I drove it an hour home from the dealer..a lot less footroom for your left foot.

I went from an '03 to a '14 and my wife still drives her '07 EB.

I'm not sure the 5th generation is an upgrade...it's a very different vehicle.

Hello all, I have a 2006 EB that I've had for 9 years with 176k on the ODO. I love this SUV and it's been an incredible ride. I'm thinking of giving it to my daughter and getting a 2014 or 2015. Any opinions from anyone that upgraded to the newer SUV from the older style? Comfort, quietness, features? Thanks for your input.

Neil

I have the '15 Limited, and I did not have the previous generation Explorer, but had 3 Expeditions, so I still feel capable of giving an valuable answer.

I think the '15 is a superb SUV overall, that feels smooth and rides very well, VERY quiet, even compared to my BMW, much better than the usual box on frame... except: Ford does not do a good job of building them.

We have the full option... the one thing as example that it lacks is Auto fold mirrors; despite that it has power fold mirrors... you have the pull the switch each time (very strange!!!)

But once you have rectified the multiple build issues that you may encounter during ownership, and accept some odd design features, its a fantastic car to own, and I think you gonna love it.

Neil
Hi Neil. I think the best thing to help determine your course of action is to take a test drive in the model(s) you are interested in. What one person likes or dislikes may not be the same for you. For instance, I never had any issues with the left foot space and feel that the vehicle is more than capable of some light to medium off road driving as some videos have shown. The 5th gen has many more up to date features and is no longer a body on frame. Depending on which model you are considering, it is also loaded with many electronic features. Go check them out in person and see what you like or dislike.

Peter

X2, in both drivers and passengers. My wifes previous 2012 Escape had a wider space for your feet. However not as bad as the many conversion vans I've driven. Also I've been use to my F150 so when I drive her Explorer or ride in it, I just have to be a bit cramped.

However, still a lot more overall than the 2012 Escape. I use to get claustrophobic in that car worrying if I would get trapped in it and not be able to move. The Explorer is Much, MUCH more roomy and comfortable. I just have to put my feet a bit closer to each other.

I do think the new explorer has more hip and shoulder room than my late 2008 Sport Trac. The unibody allows designs that the ladder frame on a truck inhibit such as interior room.

We went from a 2006 xlt to a 2016 xlt. It definitely a bigger vehicle in the garage. It is very smooth and quiet. We love the kick liftgate (except when I try to squeeze by in between it and the garage door and it open into the garage door :mad:) panoramic roof the kids love. If you want a nice clean street vehicle that can haul a lot of people comfortable this is it. We did notice the cargo area is a bit smaller it seems. I think it mostly because of the bubble shape vs the square shape of the 4th Gen

We went from a 2006 xlt to a 2016 xlt. It definitely a bigger vehicle in the garage. It is very smooth and quiet. We love the kick liftgate (except when I try to squeeze by in between it and the garage door and it open into the garage door :mad:) panoramic roof the kids love. If you want a nice clean street vehicle that can haul a lot of people comfortable this is it. We did notice the cargo area is a bit smaller it seems. I think it mostly because of the bubble shape vs the square shape of the 4th Gen

You got it, it's a bigger (much wider) vehicle on the outside, but there is a lot less cargo space. I can't even put golf bags in across the back it's so narrow. I have to lay them in on an angle. My Murano, which is a much smaller vehicle will take 4 golf bags with no problem.

Ford blew it with the cargo room.

You got it, it's a bigger (much wider) vehicle on the outside, but there is a lot less cargo space. I can't even put golf bags in across the back it's so narrow. I have to lay them in on an angle. My Murano, which is a much smaller vehicle will take 4 golf bags with no problem.

Ford blew it with the cargo room.

This is disappointing! My 09 Edge accommodates 4 golf bags. I've got to check this out. I MAY have to go back to an EDGE/MKX or Expedition. When I ordered my 16 Ex Platinum, I told my dealer I wouldn't accept a vehicle that had bad fit up margins with the doors, etc. He helped me decide on options so he could quickly sell it if I don't like it. He's a golfer so he will understand if this is the case for me (I believe).

TW

To compare an Explorer built in early 2000's to a 2015 Explorer is unrealistic. Of course its not the same vehicle. Its way more refined not to mention better engineered and safer.

The difference is simple, if you had the same head on collision in a vehicle built in 2006 and a vehicle built in 2015 you may die in the 2006 Explorer but likely walk away with a scratch in the 2015 Explorer.

Everything in the 2015/16 Explorer is better and safer, it's just whether or not the changes are acceptable to you. True its a light duty off road vehicle and that change is part of the safety improvements. That alone may push you into a higher, more rugged, off road jeep style vehicle.

Its the same thing when I hear police officers complain because Ford stopped making the Crown Victoria in 2011 because Ford would have had to spend millions to have it pass the new roof crush standards. They ended production because the vehicle was no longer going to pass any of the tougher safety standards we have today, no different than the Explorer. Even if they engineered it to pass the roof crush standards, they would need to re-engineer everything else to catch up.

Hey they might be bringing the Bronco back soon so there's an option.......

New to 5th gen The XP, not new to Ford

I had a 99' expedition EB and loved it. I could fix anything myself. Did the plugs, heatercore, self leveling shocks and pump, brakes, battery cables, front wheel bearings, alternator, odometer light repair, lower ball joints, rear hatch struts, cruise control update, belts, hoses, coolant, windshield, and all oil changes my self. (now that I listed it all it seems like alot). It never left me stranded and she was a tank. Not to mention the a/c would freeze me out. Its why I bought another Ford(I also own a Dodge and Nissan)I was a tech for Cadillac and VW back in the mid 80' early 90' so wrenching was something I was used to. Now lets move on to my new to me CPO 2011 Explorer limited 4wd. I'm scared to touch it. I used to carry 4x8 sheets of plywood/ drywall in the back of my Expe but not this one. I'm afraid of what it would cost to fix anything. I do love not having to break my back lifting the third row out, let alone storing that truck couch somewhere. This new CUV is not a truck. I used to just point and push the gas in the axle deep snow! I feel it lacks power and it reminds me everyday of how much I miss that gas guzzler V8 (13 mpg on a good day). My new Exp not that great either( around 17mpg around town). I miss stepping out onto the floor boards. I'm short so I will probably wear the side bolster out sliding in and out. Someone in another post stated Ford does not build these well. If you could see the list of stuff Ford has fixed in the first year of ownership I would have to agree. To be fair, some of the problems have been with their OEM suppliers. But design has alot to do with it. As an engineer my mind thinks about how all these gadets work. My wife just thinks of the Exp as something that gets her from point A to piont B. She accepts the rattles, clunks, and mechanical defects of my Exp. My point is what kind of person are you? If your more like what I call a sheeple, the quirks will just go over your head. If you think quality is in the details then look at the latest model of this 5gen. I go to the dealer alot waiting on my vehicle and I've checked out the 2016 on the showroom floor. I have noticed Ford has really made an honest attempt to redisign the known problem areas and complaints 2011-2014 owners have stated. BTW 4wd is a must. I can't stand driving my friends xlt front wheel drive exp in the snow. Its hard for me to deal with all the electronic stuff on these new vehicles. I feel like I can't work on this CUV. Everything out there now is this way. There's allot to chose from out there. Look around. I'm glad your reading this forum. I wish I had found this forum before I bought so I would have a better idea on what to look out for. Research, research, research. Good luck!

Back