Knocking/thumping noise from front wheel. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocking/thumping noise from front wheel.

richard300

Reaction score
City, State
South Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Liberty RX
My 1998 4.0 Auto has a thumping noise coming from the passenger side front wheel (my car is a RHD car).... Sounds almost like a flat tyre and speeds up with speed. Its the same when coasting or accepting. It even at one point turned into a squealing very briefly but that quickly went (assuming it was related) now its back to the thumping noise (like a flat tyre) that can faintly be felt as a vibration through the cabin....?

i recently redid all the bearings and seals in my front differential, and so I thought I'd put two brand new CV shafts while i was at it. One of the brand new shafts was bad right from the start. it kind of thumped and squealed on the first test drive, my wife said she could hear me coming down the road it was squealing so bad. I was a very unhappy camper having to take it back off....

I could tell it was bad when I jacked up the truck off all 4 wheels and ran it. It was obvious then that the CV shaft was bad, I could see it shuddering as it rotated.

Proves that NEW stands for Never Ever Worked, as Ron Ananian would say.

Thanks for the feedback - I also noticed that if the car goes over a bump or a dip at an angle all seems fine - If i go over a bump or a dip head on (say like a speed bump) there is creaking and grinding... Oh, and i was driving down the road and a couple of potholes/indents in the road (that just happened to be spaced apart the same as the wheel track) almost sent the car off the road.... It literally felt like one wheel went one way and the other wheel went the other way?:(

A few pics of my recently acquired 1998 XLT

OK, here she is..... The car actually needs a really good clean so i was surprised the she looked so shiny in the pics. I had made a quick attempt at the interior before i took the pictures but don't want to spend to much time on the car just now. Mainly because it seems to have a couple of suspension issues i want to rectify before spending money elsewhere

Anyway, here she is:

20150913_150044_zpsihwzzlp3.jpg

20150913_145740_zpsfxatyfvo.jpg

20150913_145649_zpsqhnx8i26.jpg

20150913_150106_zpsnde8aagi.jpg

20150913_150217_zpsb2pv82hb.jpg

20150913_150249_zpsrgpwvlxh.jpg

Back