Ran out of gas today!

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
I am stuck on i95 shoulder as I type lol. I left UMBC right when it hit 0 miles left and I reached right before the exit 29A to 212. So it was an extra 20 miles of range. Right now, I can't find that little white funnel to put gas in so I am so screwed lol. Well, now this answers people's question about how much is left in the reserve. By the way, the engine ran out of gas so smoothly. The only way I knew was the low oil pressure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am stuck on i95 shoulder as I type lol. I left UMBC right when it hit 0 miles left and I reached right before the exit 29A to 212. So it was an extra 20 miles of range. Right now, I can't find that little white funnel to put gas in so I am so screwed lol. Well, now this answers people's question about how much is left in the reserve. By the way, the engine ran out of gas so smoothly. The only way I knew was the low oil pressure.
Unless you have moved it, the funnel is in with the Spare tire. I believe mine was affixed to the jack.

Peter

A couple years ago, I had to run my Explorer past empty when a storm knocked out power in a wide area. I only went a dozen miles past empty til I found an open station.

Unless you have moved it, the funnel is in with the Spare tire. I believe mine was affixed to the jack.

Peter

Edit - the following was incorrect. See Post 20 & 21 below
Depends on whether or not you have tow package. No spare with the tow package, at least on the '11.

My '15 limited has the Tow package and a spare. The funnel was attached to the insert inside the rim of the spare next to the jack.

Peter

Thanks Peter. Managed to find it with your help. We tried using one of those gas cans that were designed to go in like a regular pump but when i poured the gas without the funnel, it all dripped to the floor from the inside. Managed to find the funnel and pour it in that way but the funnel was extremely difficult to use. Since our gas can had a solid plastic tube that you had to pull back to let the fuel out, we just got gas all over our hands. Terrible design of the gas can but I wish the gas funnel could have been bigger to allow the fuel to go in.

The car started right up as normal. Good thing it wasn't a diesel.

Why would you keep driving when it showed you had 0 miles left?

Why would you keep driving when it showed you had 0 miles left?

I had no form of payment whatsoever that gas stations accepted. Wish gas stations accepted apple pay. I was also in a rush to get to a meeting... that I never got to. Worse part is that the people I had to meet with ended up coming to bail me out with the gas tank.

Well this is definitely a lesson learned. I'm going to always carry cash on me and just never let my tank drop to below 1/4th.

Depends on whether or not you have tow package. No spare with the tow package, at least on the '11.

A couple years ago, I had to run my Explorer past empty when a storm knocked out power in a wide area. I only went a dozen miles past empty til I found an open station.

My 2011 has the tow package AND a spare tire with the funnel just like Peter mentioned.

That blows. But it's nice to know how many miles left you have after hitting 0. I've always been paranoid that the car would die as it hit 0 lol...

Edit - see post 20 & 21 below

My 2011 has the tow package AND a spare tire with the funnel just like Peter mentioned.
Do you have the factory tow package with the factory trailer hitch and removable plastic cover in the bumper over the receiver, and a spare tire?

What was your build date?

This is not correct said:
My May, 2011 build did not come with a spare tire.

It came with the "mobility" kit, which is an air compressor and bottle of sealant.

Do you have the factory tow package with the factory trailer hitch and removable plastic cover in the bumper over the receiver, and a spare tire?

My May, 2011 build did not come with a spare tire. It came with the "mobility" kit, which is an air compressor and bottle of sealant.
That 'kit' was discontinued a few years ago.

Peter

My May, 2011 build did not come with a spare tire. It came with the "mobility" kit, which is an air compressor and bottle of sealant.

I think they got shammed. I have the air compressor kit, and a spare tire.

Yes the factory tow package. Build date was early May 2011, arrived at dealer on May 25 2011. It has the spare tire and it also has the compressor kit stored under the drivers seat.

I've found that in most of my other vehicle you get around 50 miles after it says empty or 0 miles left. Not sure about the EX.

I've found that in most of my other vehicle you get around 50 miles after it says empty or 0 miles left. Not sure about the EX.

I got the exact route in which it started at 0 miles to completely dead. I only went 17.6 miles and I was going around 65 - 80 MPH. The reserve tank seems to only have 1 gallon and that's it. So expect a range around there if you ever get it to empty.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39....@39.0550104,-76.9284188,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

I got the exact route in which it started at 0 miles to completely dead. I only went 17.6 miles and I was going around 65 - 80 MPH. The reserve tank seems to only have 1 gallon and that's it. So expect a range around there if you ever get it to empty.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39....@39.0550104,-76.9284188,16z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

Yikes! That's not much reserve at all. There is another thread that talks about what the EX is missing and I'd say a larger gas tank! Has anyone ever installed a reserve tank :D

Well, hopefully you learned your lesson...
Next time you taking a gas can with you, make sure you have a funnel and make sure your gas can has some kind of hose that goes into the funnel. I bought a plastic can with a hose in the cap, works very well.
Moreover, no one wants to run out of gas as it can damage fuel pump and it might be costly to replace. I hope there is enough protection in modern engines and lack of fuel will not damage one's engine, but you never know.

There is a 5 page thread on how much gas is left when reading empty;

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317305&highlight=gas+left

Peter

For those who may have the 'mobility kit' if it's like the one in my Chevy the sealant will have an expiration date on it. When mine expired I chucked it and bought a couple cans of fix-a-flat (which I should probably now check for an expiration date.)

But the compressor is a nice, handy thing to have on board!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has a 3/2011 build date, I have the kit under my seat and a spare tire with factory tow.

20150913_105413_zps9hjz5iea.jpg

Back