• Register Today It's free!

Heat won't turn off

Ironic

Reaction score
City, State
Columbus, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford EXP Limited 4WD
So it's been a mild couple days here in Ohio. Today its 65 out so no need for a/c. I've set the ventilation system on my 2011 exp to LO and mediun fan on face vent(again no a/c). In EVERY car I've owned when the a/c is not on and the temp is set to low, the car just blows fresh air from outside what ever the temp is outside. My exp is blowing 90 degrees. Thats a 25 degree difference. Took it to My local dealer were I bought this CPO vehicle 11 monthes ago and they said it was normal. WHAT? This is the craziest thing anyone has ever told me. So now I'm dealing with a truck that adds 20 to 25 degrees to the incoming air. I now drive around with a digital temp. probe in the vent. Most say just open the windows but with my allergies and days it rains that is not an option. How could anyone tell a customer thats normal with a straight face. I've thought about going to another dealer but jumping dealers can be a disaster. This all started after my dual zone system went out of wack. Any ideas would really help. The dealer is lost as well. Goes back this Tues..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine acts exactly like it should when the AC is on. If it is cool enough outside not requiring the AC and I set it to 65, it will blow 65 as long as the air is that cold outside. It does not blow 90 degree air on a 65 degree day with the thermostat set to 65 degrees.

How do you know it's blowing 90 degree air?

You might have the blend actuator door problem. It was a common issue in the earlier Explorers.

How do you know it's blowing 90 degree air?

I have a digital temperature probe sitting in the vent above the touch screen at all times. Will post Youtube vid. soon. I have a great water splashing out my door vid. and a whistling sun roof vid. Things my dealer also either told me they could not duplicate or was normal. Will be out of warranty by end of month so it's time to push past my service advisor to the service manager. I'm glad some people's systems work fine. It just further proofs that that my system is not normal. Don't get me wrong, I have video of it working correctly, which again just proves something is not right. Looking at one of my last repairs the dealer replaced two door motors. Then the next repair there was a firmware update they forgot to do when the two door motors were installed. Now I'm beeing told its normal.

This all started after my dual zone system went out of wack. Any ideas would really help. ..
What do you mean by your dual zone system "went out of wack"?

Without any other info, my first guess would also be the blend door actuator failure.

So it's been a mild couple days here in Ohio. Today its 65 out so no need for a/c. I've set the ventilation system on my 2011 exp to LO and mediun fan on face vent(again no a/c). In EVERY car I've owned when the a/c is not on and the temp is set to low, the car just blows fresh air from outside what ever the temp is outside. My exp is blowing 90 degrees. Thats a 25 degree difference. Took it to My local dealer were I bought this CPO vehicle 11 monthes ago and they said it was normal. WHAT? This is the craziest thing anyone has ever told me. So now I'm dealing with a truck that adds 20 to 25 degrees to the incoming air. I now drive around with a digital temp. probe in the vent. Most say just open the windows but with my allergies and days it rains that is not an option. How could anyone tell a customer thats normal with a straight face. I've thought about going to another dealer but jumping dealers can be a disaster. This all started after my dual zone system went out of wack. Any ideas would really help. The dealer is lost as well. Goes back this Tues..
Don't you have the 'AUTO' setting? That should automatically adjust to whether you require cold or warm air. On my previous 2011 Ltd I just left it on that setting. The only thing I would adjust, if required, was the temperature. This was normally when the season changes. On my MKT the A/C setting has been on most of the Summer but the other day it was really cool out and even with the setting on A/C, the air coming out of the vents was warm because the cabin temp was below the temperature settings on the MLT.

Peter

When I mentioned the dual zone system went out of wack, the real problem was I was getting cold air on the driver side and warm air on the passenger side with the dual zone OFF. Some days it was vice versa. So I may have used the incorrect wording on that problem. It was like the dual zone system was on when it was not. The dealer said they replaced two of the five blend door actuators . That got the system to blow the same temp air on both sides with dual zone off like it should. Now the system blows hot air on both sides if the temp is set to LO, no a/c, on a 63-75 degree day and when I mean hot, I mean like 90 degrees, according to my temp gauge in the vent. Doesn't matter if I turn on the recirculate button either. Peter I understand I should just run AUTO but why run the a/c on a 63 degree day? People say just open the window. But what about rainy days? There have been days where it's 65 out and the car blow 65 with temp set to LO and no a/c. So I know it can work, but it's rare. Even on cool days the inside gets hot sitting in the sun. Getting in and turning on the a/c cools the inside and duct work down quick but as soon as the inside is same as the outside I turn the a/c off and leave the fan on. The air from the vents then gets hot even though I did not change the temp setting. In every car I've owned the climate system blows what ever the ouside air temperature is if the temp is set to LO and a/c is off.

Check out youtube video:
"2011 ford explorer heat won't turn off part 1" and "2011 ford explorer heat won't turn off part 2"

When I mentioned the dual zone system went out of wack, the real problem was I was getting cold air on the driver side and warm air on the passenger side with the dual zone OFF. Some days it was vice versa. So I may have used the incorrect wording on that problem. It was like the dual zone system was on when it was not. The dealer said they replaced two of the five blend door actuators . That got the system to blow the same temp air on both sides with dual zone off like it should. Now the system blows hot air on both sides if the temp is set to LO, no a/c, on a 63-75 degree day and when I mean hot, I mean like 90 degrees, according to my temp gauge in the vent. Doesn't matter if I turn on the recirculate button either. Peter I understand I should just run AUTO but why run the a/c on a 63 degree day? People say just open the window. But what about rainy days? There have been days where it's 65 out and the car blow 65 with temp set to LO and no a/c. So I know it can work, but it's rare. Even on cool days the inside gets hot sitting in the sun. Getting in and turning on the a/c cools the inside and duct work down quick but as soon as the inside is same as the outside I turn the a/c off and leave the fan on. The air from the vents then gets hot even though I did not change the temp setting. In every car I've owned the climate system blows what ever the ouside air temperature is if the temp is set to LO and a/c is off.
What happens if you actually set a temperature instead of having it on low. If you set the temp at a degree or 2 above the outside temp does it still blow 90 degree air?

Peter

Check out youtube video:
"2011 ford explorer heat won't turn off part 1" and "2011 ford explorer heat won't turn off part 2"
Hello Ironic,

How did it go at the dealer? Also, what’s the mileage on your vehicle? I’ll be happy to check my resources on this end!

Tricia

Mine will do this on occasion, randomly. It usually clears up after turning the car off and leaving it a while. (Just turning off the climate, or cycling the dual control does nothing for the problem.) The A/C works fine for all the vents except for the front passenger, which is blowing not just warm, but MAXIMUM heat. The vents get so hot you can barely touch them. Happened last Sunday again but cleared up after leaving the car for a while. Recently replaced the blend door behind the glove box due the the dash clicking noise, but the problem has happened before and after that.

Back