Debut of 2016 Explorer | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Debut of 2016 Explorer

No I feel you. When I walked outside in the lot yesterday and saw the expeditions, mustangs, navigators, ext... with Sync 3 I def wasn't happy. I thought it was just the Escapes now but I was wrong. Just don't get how they release a new model without building the new Sync right into it from the get go_Oh well I guess Ill drive myself nuts if I don't shift my focus elsewhere lmao. Looking forward to those massaging seats :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For those of us anxious for any press, pictures and videos of the Platinum Explorer, they are finally coming out. There's a cool video on YouTube where they take a white one off road. It's titled 2016 Ford Explorer Off Road Review: We take the road less traveled. It's 7:54 minutes long and well worth watching. It's by the Fast Last Truck people. There evidently is a press tour going on from Canada down through some of the National Parks in the US. Other new videos with beautiful scenery are also starting to pop up on YouTube as of the last day or two.
There are also some reviews where press has driven the vehicle and give their opinion (mostly positive). You can google those by searching 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum and then hitting the NEWS link. One was posted 4 hours ago by Left Lane News. Another one was posted by the The Car Guide on 09/14/15. Another good one was posted on 09/15/15 by BallerStatus.com.
Hope you all enjoy. There's some good pics out there too.

For those of us anxious for any press, pictures and videos of the Platinum Explorer, they are finally coming out. There's a cool video on YouTube where they take a white one off road. It's titled 2016 Ford Explorer Off Road Review: We take the road less traveled. It's 7:54 minutes long and well worth watching. It's by the Fast Last Truck people. There evidently is a press tour going on from Canada down through some of the National Parks in the US. Other new videos with beautiful scenery are also starting to pop up on YouTube as of the last day or two.
There are also some reviews where press has driven the vehicle and give their opinion (mostly positive). You can google those by searching 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum and then hitting the NEWS link. One was posted 4 hours ago by Left Lane News. Another one was posted by the The Car Guide on 09/14/15. Another good one was posted on 09/15/15 by BallerStatus.com.
Hope you all enjoy. There's some good pics out there too.
A link to the YouTube video would have been nice.:(

Peter

They also show a white, but it won't be here till mid-October. I am about a week away from forgetting the 2016 and wait for the 2017 with gen-3 my sync and 9 speed trans. also hope gas tank is uped from 18 gal.

Where did you read the 2017 Explorer is getting a new 9 speed transmission, that's the first I have heard of that. Do you have a link to the article?

My info is the major drive train doesn't change until a completely new design for 2018 or 2019 whenever they decide it's rolling out.

17 might possible see the new Adaptive EPAS system but thats not drivetrain.

I'm sure the 2017 model will have some nice new features but if the 2016 is just now starting to trickle out, I don't really feel like waiting a whole 'nother year for the 2017.

Does Ford ever update models mid-year? I know Dodge makes half-year changes from time to time (or they used to).

As stated above, they have made changes mid year. It is called Job 2 or Job 3. Essentially when a vehicle first starts getting built, it is considered Job 1. Then if they decide to make changes, those changes then make it a Job 2 vehicle and then if they make more changes, it will be called a Job 3 etc.

As stated above, they have made changes mid year. It is called Job 2 or Job 3. Essentially when a vehicle first starts getting built, it is considered Job 1. Then if they decide to make changes, those changes then make it a Job 2 vehicle and then if they make more changes, it will be called a Job 3 etc.

Good to know, thank you. IDK if it's accurate but we always used to call our Dodges "2001.5 model year," for example.

If you google 2017 Ford Explorer, 1 of the articles mentions the 9 speed tranny which it says is new. If you can't find i will get it for you.

If you google 2017 Ford Explorer, 1 of the articles mentions the 9 speed tranny which it says is new. If you can't find i will get it for you.

If you're taking about the future car release dot com page, the broken English makes me think it's just a bunch of auto-generated crap as opposed to a fact-based article from an industry insider.

aggie, that is the article but no one including them knows what Ford is going to do for next year.

I don't think the 9 speed exists. GM was developing one and the partnership between Ford and GM didn't really go anywhere (GM = 9 speed, Ford = 10 speed). I believe you will see the 10 speed that the F150 and Superduty's are getting put into the redesigned Explorer.

I also don't believe 2017 will be the "all new" model.. I believe it to be a 2018 or 2019 model.

We have discussed about transmission here already
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=416750&page=19
starting from post #368

It is purely just speculation at this time as there were no word heard from Ford about new transverse tranny, but no one can deny it is in development. It may come in the middle refresh cycle, lets say 2017 or may be postponed to Ex gen 6

Internet source:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2014/12/exclusive-inside-look-fords-new-10-speed-transmission/
"General Motors has officially partnered up with Ford to use this design in the future (its about 10R tranny). Ford appears to be leading this design effort, and in return GM appears to be leading the design effort for the 9 speed FWD transmissions."

Another source speculates that Escape and Explorer will get 9-speed:
http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...-to-get-a-10-speed-gearbox-ar165019.html#main
"Slightly updated for 2015, the fifth-generation Explorer will receive its mid-cycle refresh for 2016, with revisions will include new front and rear fascias. A completely new iteration is due in 2017 for the 2018 model year. Like most Fords, the Explorer too will receive the company’s nine-speed automatic transmission."

Based on the info in this thread, I'm glad I just got a new 15 with the six speed. I had to get rid of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee due to terrible transmission performance. It was the new ZF nine speed in that vehicle. It was the first SUV with a nine speed transmission in it. If I may offer some advice to potential buyers of the future redesigned Explorer with a nine speed. Wait and let Ford iron out any problems with it before just jumping in and buying one when they first come out. That's the mistake I made with my Jeep and it was terrible. That's why I now own an Explorer with a proven drivetrain. It has taken Chrysler a couple of years to finally get most of the nine speed transmission problems ironed out. Please don't bash me, I'm just trying to save someone from having some bad issues. Sometimes no matter how much engineering a company puts into a totally new transmission design, it takes a year or two for any major problems to show up and be solved. That's just my opinion after going through various transmission issues with my 2014 Cherokee.

Based on the info in this thread, I'm glad I just got a new 15 with the six speed. I had to get rid of my 2014 Jeep Cherokee due to terrible transmission performance. It was the new ZF nine speed in that vehicle. It was the first SUV with a nine speed transmission in it. If I may offer some advice to potential buyers of the future redesigned Explorer with a nine speed. Wait and let Ford iron out any problems with it before just jumping in and buying one when they first come out. That's the mistake I made with my Jeep and it was terrible. That's why I now own an Explorer with a proven drivetrain. It has taken Chrysler a couple of years to finally get most of the nine speed transmission problems ironed out. Please don't bash me, I'm just trying to save someone from having some bad issues. Sometimes no matter how much engineering a company puts into a totally new transmission design, it takes a year or two for any major problems to show up and be solved. That's just my opinion after going through various transmission issues with my 2014 Cherokee.

Totally agree with you, but was exactly wrong with that Cherokee's tranny from ZF, unlogical shifting, roughness or altoghether?

My XLT order is scheduled for production 09/23. What job number will it be?

Sounds like you may know the VIN. If you do PM it to me and if they have the vehicle info entered I can look it up.

Totally agree with you, but was exactly wrong with that Cherokee's tranny from ZF, unlogical shifting, roughness or altoghether?

At about 850 miles harsh shifts and clunks when shifting. Brought it to the dealer and they did TSBs to update the trans software. This happened numerous times over the year and a half we owned it. It seems I would get harsh shifting and sometimes also such hard downshifts that you thought you got rear ended (really). I would then bring it in for another TSB (there were numerous trans TSBs during the 1 1/2 years I owned it. After each TSB it would be ok for a while then after a couple of months its like it forgot the new software and would start shifting roughly again. Then Chrysler would come out with a new TSB to "improve the shift quality". It would work for a while then start shifting crappy again. Finally it also started having poor throttle response. At about 10 to 20mph if you stepped on the gas gently to accelerate it would not respond at all and then if you stepped harder it would peel rubber and take off. No middle ground and it drove "nervously" back and forth like the trans was trying to find a gear. On a forum for the 2014 - 2015 Cherokee some owners were actually having to have complete transmission replacements on new vehicles with only a few hundred miles on them. Finally we gave up on ours at about 6,500 miles and traded it in on the Explorer. The Jeep could have been a great vehicle. It had the off road suspension, was a 4x4, had a four low gear and hill descent control with a select terrain knob similar to the explorer's. But some owners were actually getting stranded due to trans issues and I didn't want to be one of them. That would have been really bad on some off road trail in the middle of nowhere. If you do a search and read reviews you will see that the nine speed in that vehicle was not ready for prime time and some of us that purchased it were like lab monkeys in an experiment. It was my first and last Jeep. Sorry for being too long but I wanted to try and answer your question fairly. Now we are a two Ford family and I should have bought an Explorer from the start. Lesson learned. Our Explorer drives great and we also have much more room than the Cherokee had.

Do you have your VIN? If so, have you printed your window sticker? Here's a link to instructions on how to get your window sticker:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=308458

Once you have your window sticker, look at the very bottom, toward the right side. You'll see a 13-digit sequence of numerals printed in bold-face type.

The first digit specifies the Job Number. So if the first digit is a "1", your Explorer is a Job 1 vehicle. If the first digit is "2", your Explorer is a Job 2 vehicle, etc.

The next eight digits specify the Build Date. You said your XLT is scheduled for production on September 23 this year, so you should see 20150923 after the first digit in the sequence at the bottom of your window sticker.

The final four digits specify the Blend Number. This is used by the factory to make sure all the correct pieces come together ("blend") to enable production of the exact vehicle you ordered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

At about 850 miles harsh shifts and clunks when shifting. Brought it to the dealer and they did TSBs to update the trans software. This happened numerous times over the year and a half we owned it. It seems I would get harsh shifting and sometimes also such hard downshifts that you thought you got rear ended (really). I would then bring it in for another TSB (there were numerous trans TSBs during the 1 1/2 years I owned it. After each TSB it would be ok for a while then after a couple of months its like it forgot the new software and would start shifting roughly again. Then Chrysler would come out with a new TSB to "improve the shift quality". It would work for a while then start shifting crappy again. Finally it also started having poor throttle response. At about 10 to 20mph if you stepped on the gas gently to accelerate it would not respond at all and then if you stepped harder it would peel rubber and take off. No middle ground and it drove "nervously" back and forth like the trans was trying to find a gear. On a forum for the 2014 - 2015 Cherokee some owners were actually having to have complete transmission replacements on new vehicles with only a few hundred miles on them. Finally we gave up on ours at about 6,500 miles and traded it in on the Explorer. The Jeep could have been a great vehicle. It had the off road suspension, was a 4x4, had a four low gear and hill descent control with a select terrain knob similar to the explorer's. But some owners were actually getting stranded due to trans issues and I didn't want to be one of them. That would have been really bad on some off road trail in the middle of nowhere. If you do a search and read reviews you will see that the nine speed in that vehicle was not ready for prime time and some of us that purchased it were like lab monkeys in an experiment. It was my first and last Jeep. Sorry for being too long but I wanted to try and answer your question fairly. Now we are a two Ford family and I should have bought an Explorer from the start. Lesson learned. Our Explorer drives great and we also have much more room than the Cherokee had.

That is great write up!
Well, that is bad and looks like Chrysler did not ever road-test this 9-speed.
Having in mind that GM is responsible for developing this 9-speed transverse tranny which will end up in future Explorer, who knows, may be you are right and it is better to stay away for a few years after change.
I owned Ford Escape 2009 and had zero issues with 6F35
Here is what I found though on Wikipedia regarding current 6F35: Prior to 2009, this transmission had issues caused by a very weak 3,5,R wave plate, which made this transmission prone to failure in GM products. Updated wave plates were released for many clutches in 6T70. The old design wave plates weren’t stress relieved and could break with use.

Back