My Explorer Overheated | Page 15 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

My Explorer Overheated

...While the vehicle is 5 – 6,000kms over the 60,000km warranty; doesn’t seem reasonable that this repair should be our problem given the history and negligence to address the known issue’s. In the meantime I’ll be sitting here reading through what on earth I paid all the extra money for ESP & Interior Coverage. (lesson learned – READ READ READ haha) Waiting for a follow from Area Service Rep; appreciate the assistance from Peter and Brittany :)

My colleague Brittany escalated your concern to the CSM, 4Buckster. According to the case notes, you've been a loyal customer to your dealer. Also, your CSM is actively working with your dealer to assist. Please let me know if you need anything.

Kwasi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Kwasi, I appreciate the acknowledgement and the assistance. Found this forum to be very helpful :)
Have a great day!

Final Outcome

I wanted to thank everyone for their assistance along with details regarding the final outcome. I'll summarize in point form to try and keep things simple :) ..
(Vehicle overheated Tues (Sept 16), towed to closest dealership)

- CSM contacted me Monday (Sept 22), confirmed 3yr/60k warranty expired May 5, 2014; ESP Plan purchased FMPP expires May 5 2016 (or 100,000kms). CSM indicated they would contact dealership where it was purchased, they'd call me back Wednesday (Sept 24).
- Dealership (towed to) called mid day Wednesday Sept 22, vehicle repair Complete ahead of schedule; no one from the purchase dealership or Ford CSM contacted them. They did contact the purchase dealership about when the last oil change was and it was due to be changed within 1,000kms. Requested oil change - went to pick it up. (Total Invoice $641)
- CSM called and left voicemail while en route to dealership to pick up vehicle (voicemail forwarded to my email)
- Dealership to pick up; Invoice now $742. Informed that the increase was due to the oil change (?!?) Told them I confirmed with my paperwork, Ford & Ford CSM that we had FMPP (Maintenance Plan). They said no, FMPP expired May 5, 2014. Frustrated / defeated, decided to just pay the invoice and follow up with the CSM.
- Returned home and contacted the CSM who confirmed (again) yes I have the Ford Maintenance Protection Plan (FMPP) and shouldn't have been charged BUT the CSM would again need to contact the dealer. ---

At this point the CSM further clarified that "unfortunately" as I had already paid the invoice the only "assistance" they (Ford Customer Service) could provide from this point going forward would be a "Coupon" because I paid to get my vehicle back before customer service could assist me. Now that I paid, Customer Service could not provide any financial solution because I'd paid the dealer ... again said they would need time; they'd call me back Friday (Sept 26).

CSM called Friday. Said first off I shouldn't have been charged for the Oil Change, and provided the name(s) of the S'vice Manager & Ass't S'vice Manager at the dealership indicating I can contact them to discuss a refund. Secondly, I was reminded again that as I paid the dealer, customer service had few options to assist me. As such, the CSM offered me "Coupon" that I can use for future service work (their words) at any dealer, in the amount of $300. The coupon comes with a few minor caveat's; 6 to 8 weeks to receive it, 1 Time - must be used in full within 12 months of their sending it, must be used by me and for the Explorer only.

As I'd indicated in previous posts, I'm wasn't here to bash or complain :)
Just wanted to relay the facts in the hopes it may assist others in the future.
Thanks again to all for their assistance and advice.
Cheers
Bucky

From what I can gather, the only thing you shouldn't have had to pay for was the oil change. That would have been covered by the FMPP. The maintenance plan however would not cover the cost of new fans. That cost would be your responsibility. Not sure why the oil change was $100 unless perhaps they used full synthetic, which I doubt since the Owner's Guide call for regular oil. That usually costs me about $40. ESP and FMPP are 2 different plans. You have the maintenance plan, not the Extended Service Plan which would have covered the fan replacement. FFMP covers maintenance, ESP is a warranty.
You haven't added the model you have to your profile. It just shows 2011. I know it isn't a Sport.;)

Peter

Hi Peter, good call yes the actual cost for the oil change was like $64.95 (or there abouts). I didnt mention what I was trying to 'convey / capture' was my confusion as well (ie: how did it go from $641 to $742). While I didn't go forensic accounting level, I'm pretty sure the original $641 the service advisor gave me on the phone excluded GST. ��
My Explorer is a Explorer is a Ltd. Edition . My confusion regarding ESP vs FMPP; my error I suppose in not reading everything properly; but I would note that my signed agreement identifies FMPP under "ESP" (including a couple images)

That said, the fact that I'd contacted the dealer twice regarding my specific concern on fan issues that I believe we're directly related to prior & future Service Bulletin's ... to be informed that "those issue's do not apply to your vehicle, make model & year" (when they clearly did)? Well on that, we'll just agree to disagree on who should be financially responsible for the failure of that fan motor

updated with a couple links to my dropbox folder :) ...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/49419386/ESP Info 1.png
ESP%20Info%202.jpg

Thought I would post the final outcome regarding my issue and overall Service.
Paid out just over $740; repair A/C fan motor & oil change. (In spite of having "FMPP").
Regarding the Fan - Customer Service Rep. indicated the only assistance they could provide; mailing me a $300 Coupon for use at a Ford Dealership; valid for myself only, for 12 months from date I agree to accept the coupon. (1 month ago, nothing has arrived yet)
Regarding the Oil Change - CSR agreed, shouldn't have been charged yet again Customer Service could not assist me; provided me the phone number for the Service Manager at the dealership. Emailed Service & Manager, left 2 voicemail messages requesting a refund for the oil change. Recieved a cheque with refund, Fri Oct 17th (around 3 weeks later).
Currently requesting the balance of refund for the FMPP Plan. At a cost of $1,840 for the what has amounted to 7 or 8 oil changes; after all of this my guess is I'll have to pay them 4 or 5 grand to get the balance of refund haha.
Best of luck to all and thank you to the folks offering advice and assistance.
Cheers

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with the towing package that overheated to max on the gauge and loss of coolant occurred in May of 2014 in heavy traffic. I was eventually able to get out of traffic and the air flow of driving cooled down the engine. I took the vehicle to the dealer and explained what had happened. The dealer replaced both electrical cooling fans and said the fan control module was the cause of the failure but they had to be replace the complete fan assembly as a unit.

This past weekend on Sept 06th 2015 again I had an overheating problem. The car is now in the dealer again and after diagnostics testing, I was told the fan assembly needs to be replaced for a second time! At this moment an upgraded fan assembly is being installed under my extended warranty and I have to pay a $100 deductible fee. I'm really disappointed that this problem is re-occurring for a second time in only a little more than a years time.

I have a 2012 Ford Explorer with the towing package that overheated to max on the gauge and loss of coolant occurred in May of 2014 in heavy traffic. I was eventually able to get out of traffic and the air flow of driving cooled down the engine. I took the vehicle to the dealer and explained what had happened. The dealer replaced both electrical cooling fans and said the fan control module was the cause of the failure but they had to be replace the complete fan assembly as a unit.

This past weekend on Sept 06th 2015 again I had an overheating problem. The car is now in the dealer again and after diagnostics testing, I was told the fan assembly needs to be replaced for a second time! At this moment an upgraded fan assembly is being installed under my extended warranty and I have to pay a $100 deductible fee. I'm really disappointed that this problem is re-occurring for a second time in only a little more than a years time.

Hi Timato2,

Has everything been taken care of since your last post? Please let me know, along with your mileage, and I'll look into this.

Meagan

Hello Megan,

Everything at the Ford dealer was taken care very promptly by replacing the fan assembly with a new part number. So, I was told and assume that the fan assembly has been upgraded. The cooling fans now work very well again. The vehicle as of today has 56064 miles on it. The deductible cost I ended up paying was $109.50 that included all of the taxes. Thank you for telling me you will look into this problem. :)

Hello Megan,

Everything at the Ford dealer was taken care very promptly by replacing the fan assembly with a new part number. So, I was told and assume that the fan assembly has been upgraded. The cooling fans now work very well again. The vehicle as of today has 56064 miles on it. The deductible cost I ended up paying was $109.50 that included all of the taxes. Thank you for telling me you will look into this problem. :)
Please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so that it shows in the margin. That can be very helpful info. Thanks.

Peter

Hello Megan,

Everything at the Ford dealer was taken care very promptly by replacing the fan assembly with a new part number...
Hello Timato2,

Thanks for sharing the great news, and I’m glad to learn that the dealer resolved your concern.

I’ll be sure to let Meagan know, and enjoy the rest of your day! :D

Tricia

This thread was started in 2011. Are all these documented overheating issues been fixed in the later years, 2014-2016?

This thread was started in 2011. Are all these documented overheating issues been fixed in the later years, 2014-2016?
In checking out the model years in the margin, it would seem so.

Peter

Back