03 Explorer rear turn and lower brake lights dont work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

03 Explorer rear turn and lower brake lights dont work

NABRIL

Reaction score
City, State
MIAMI, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 XLT
Hello
My wife's turn and rear lower brake lights dont come on, but the third, center light comes on fine.

The bulbs look fine (filaments not burnt)
There isnt a fuse to check for rear/turn lights.
The front turn signals blink fine.
I tilted the steering column up, but the issue remains.
I removed the rear bulb socket assemblies, and cleaned them out.

What else can I look at?
Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would suspect your brake pedal relay. It is inside the Battery Junction Box. You could swap with another just for a simple test.

The relay should pick up when you activate the brake pedal but does utilize the ABS module.

The high mount brake light does not go through this relay.

Thank you. But that relay has nothing to do with the turn ligjts, right? Since both turn and brake lights are failing, I'm thinking that something bigger is broken.

One circuit powers the rear lights for brake purposes through the brake relay.
Another circuit goes through the flasher and power up the same bulbs when selected for turn. Both circuits power through the Multi-function switch which is a potential cause.

It's amazing how us do it youselvers overthink things sometimes. I replaced the bulbs, and everything works fine.
Thanks to Fordfool anyway.

Easy fix to simple problem :)

It's amazing how us do it youselvers overthink things sometimes. I replaced the bulbs, and everything works fine.

Most definately ... had the same issue last week but checked the bulbs with a multi meter & found only the one filament was good in both bulbs, namely the tail light filament :(
A couple of replacement bulbs were sourced & tested ... all good BOTH filaments were working ... fitted into the lights and *voila* ... stop lights & indicators all working again :)

Back