Help! How do I change these bulbs!! 2002 limited EX | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! How do I change these bulbs!! 2002 limited EX

mercer21

Reaction score
City, State
NEWFOUNDLAND CANADA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 EXPLORER LIMITED
Hey I got all LED replacement lights bought for my interior and also my puddle lights, but I tryed to change both the interior lights, I took off the plastic piece and it seems impossible to get my hand or fingers even in there to repose the bulb?? Any one know if I'm doing something wrong?? Or do I have to take the whole over head colum down???

Next question is the puddle lights I have tryed to remove the plastic with a flat top, but so far have just cracked off little bits around the edges and I'm afraid if I try anymore I'll ruin it all together?? Is it just me or is the plastic extremly hard to remove on the puddle lights???

And just one more thing anyone know where to buy the halo fog lights I have seen on some EX's on car domain?? And will they fit right in or is there some customizeing involed?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the whole overhead needs to come down, it just held on by metal clips over plastic studs, get a flat head in there and gently do some prying. while its off kill those plastic pieces, the resualt will be much better light dispersment from the LEDs. the puddle lamps have a little tab you compress and then the whole cover just pops down, if your talking about the license plate ones, the whole piece comes off, pry between the rear door and the cream colored plastic.

I have a set of halo housings laying around, but for hte halos to work youd have to get some LED's and do some wiring. If not you can check up on ebay, thats where i found mine. i must forwarn you that they totaly dont mesh with how the explorer looks, and eventualy you will feel "riced" out, i first killed the halos, then eventualy put the regulars back in, then put billet infront of them, and still get good light dispersment.

heres a pic

CIMG0097.jpg

CIMG0102.jpg

CIMG0100.jpg

Next question is the puddle lights I have tryed to remove the plastic with a flat top, but so far have just cracked off little bits around the edges and I'm afraid if I try anymore I'll ruin it all together?? Is it just me or is the plastic extremly hard to remove on the puddle lights???

Check out this thread for the puddle lights. The whole thing is a good read but if you start reading at post #59 you will get your answer for removing the lens on the puddle light.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88559

Before you attempt to remove the puddle light lens I recommend checking out your other thread about electrical issues. You might not have a burned out bulb in your puddle light.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282932

Hope this helps out. :salute:

I went ahead and ordered some other bulbs searching for warm white option and will post back when they get here. I'll be just replacing my dome lights, puddle lights and backup lights for right now.

One thing I really wish was available would be an aftermarket high beam reflector to make them less floody and throw down the road further. Really like the beam pattern for the low beams and fog lights, but not too happy with the high beams.

My smaller LED's showed up and I've swapped out all six of the overhead interior lights fairly quickly and while I would have preferred a warmer light like the original incandescents at least it's acceptable and not overly green unless looked at in a side by side comparison.

The mirror mounted puddle light are a different story and I'm going to look for both higher output and warmer tint, but they were very quick and easy to swap out, especially after I had taken out the first one, I knew exactly how to approach the second.

On my 2005 the cargo lamp is the one I can't get open. Does anyone know how to?

On my 2005 the cargo lamp is the one I can't get open. Does anyone know how to?
The one all the way in back gave me the most trouble I guess, but I just pried up an edge, then once I had the ability to squeeze my fingers in between the lens and headliner I just worked my way around and around until it finally clicked loose, pretty much the same as the middle one with the 3 bulbs in it, but a little harder.

Whatever you do don't buy the halo foglights from ebay! The output sucks on them and most of them have only 2 leds to light up the halo, there are some with leds all around but they still suck and the output from the foglights is crap! If you add a hid bulb in there it's even worse, I'm going to custom make mine and just buy the halo and open the assembly lol :D

Whatever you do don't buy the halo foglights from ebay! The output sucks on them and most of them have only 2 leds to light up the halo, there are some with leds all around but they still suck and the output from the foglights is crap! If you add a hid bulb in there it's even worse, I'm going to custom make mine and just buy the halo and open the assembly lol :D

For Foglights you want "Hella".

Back