• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust Upgrade Question

SickSix

Reaction score
City, State
Dirty South
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
Just talked to a local shop about adding Flowmaster mufflers to my Ex and the guy said I probably wouldn't notice a major sound difference unless I cut out the stock resonator too. Has anyone here done this? Is it a good idea? I know removing the resonator on some vehicles makes it sound really bad.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I asked this question a few days ago and have yet to get a reply on it.
I thought about just removing the resonator and leaving the stock mufflers....
Or vice versa, keeping the resonators and totally cutting out the muffler.

Im leaning towards the first option there though!

Ill talk to the guy at the shop next week about your ideas and let you know what he says. I'm pretty sure no mufflers is not a good idea though.

Just talked to a local shop about adding Flowmaster mufflers to my Ex and the guy said I probably wouldn't notice a major sound difference unless I cut out the stock resonator too. Has anyone here done this? Is it a good idea? I know removing the resonator on some vehicles makes it sound really bad.
My personal experience does not correlate at all with your muffler shop guy's comments. I was looking solely for a sound improvement (not a performance gain) and after checking the few available YouTube videos, researching the systems available and consulting with the guys at Ripley's muffler here in Houston, I left the system stock except for deleting the final mufflers and replacing them with Magnaflows. Ripley's carries both Flowmaster and Magnaflow, but after talking with me about the sound characteristics I was after, they recommended Magnaflow (they had both in stock, so they weren't pushing one over the other). Huge improvement in the sound and absolutely no drone. My experience and result with replacing only the final mufflers is not the only one. You can find the details on my muffler replacement and a couple of others at this thread. I have pics on page two and three of the thread.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427183

I discussed at length with the guys at Ripleys about removing the resonator. They've been doing performance exhausts for a long time in Houston and I trust their opinions and experience. They have had several F150 ecoboost guys in that demanded the resonator delete and every one of them returned to have the resonator reinstalled. If I understand correctly, the F150 exhaust system configuration is completely different from the XS, but I imagine a resonator delete while retaining the remaining stock system or swapping mufflers only would bring some drone issues in the EX.

The 3.5 v6 twin turbo is never going to sound like a v8 and that is probably what the f150 guys were after. It does, however, sound like a really high-pro v6 sports car. That's what I was after and I love it. Very subjective however, so YMMV.

Thanks for the comment. It's interesting that your exhaust shop said Magnaflow over Flowmaster, and mine said the opposite. My shop sells/installs both, but said the FlowMaster is generally louder. I've used both on other vehicles in the past and I like both, but I think I'm leaning toward Flowmaster because the Ex is so quiet right now. Also, I have a Ex Limited, not the Sport, so our results will definitely vary.

When I talked to the shop last week, the recommended adding the mufflers first, driving around for a couple days, then come back to get the resonator removed if it's not loud enough, so that's probably what I'll do. Worst case, it's only $40 to get the resonator cut out, and they will put it back on for another $20 if I really don't like it.

Thanks for the comment. It's interesting that your exhaust shop said Magnaflow over Flowmaster, and mine said the opposite. My shop sells/installs both, but said the FlowMaster is generally louder. I've used both on other vehicles in the past and I like both, but I think I'm leaning toward Flowmaster because the Ex is so quiet right now. Also, I have a Ex Limited, not the Sport, so our results will definitely vary.

When I talked to the shop last week, the recommended adding the mufflers first, driving around for a couple days, then come back to get the resonator removed if it's not loud enough, so that's probably what I'll do. Worst case, it's only $40 to get the resonator cut out, and they will put it back on for another $20 if I really don't like it.
You're welcome. Your shop is saying pretty much what mine did regarding Magnaflow / Flowmaster. My shop really didn't recommend Magnaflow over Flowmaster in a general sense, their recommendation was based on what sound characteristics I said were important to me (not too loud, deep tone, "contained, tight" sound). Good advice regarding the resonator. I even kept the stock mufflers in case I didn't like the Magnaflows after trying them. After having the Magnaflows for a while now, I know I'm never going back to stock :thumbsup:. Good luck with your project, looking forward to the outcome!

Got the work done a couple weeks ago, and finally getting around to posting the results here. Upgraded my mufflers to FlowMaster 40 Series. No change to the rest of the exhaust system, yet. So far, it was money well spent. It's obviously louder than stock, and there is some noticeable drone noise inside, but not too bad. It has a beautiful growl when the engine first starts.

My 3 yr old daughter said she doesn't like it though because the noise "will hurt people's feelings". Kids... :p:

BEFORE: (completely stock-mufflers)

FJPAS7vl.jpg

BEFORE: (completely stock-resonator and cats)

YhtnwGBl.jpg

AFTER: (new FlowMaster Mufflers) Sorry for the blurry pic.

g1SSa96l.jpg

Got the work done a couple weeks ago, and finally getting around to posting the results here. Upgraded my mufflers to FlowMaster 40 Series. No change to the rest of the exhaust system, yet. So far, it was money well spent. It's obviously louder than stock, and there is some noticeable drone noise inside, but not too bad. It has a beautiful growl when the engine first starts.

My 3 yr old daughter said she doesn't like it though because the noise "will hurt people's feelings". Kids... :p:

BEFORE: (completely stock-mufflers)

FJPAS7vl.jpg

BEFORE: (completely stock-resonator and cats)

YhtnwGBl.jpg

AFTER: (new FlowMaster Mufflers) Sorry for the blurry pic.

g1SSa96l.jpg
Hiya SickSix the exhaust upgrade looks pretty nice and I just had a few questions.
How much did the two muffler installation cost? Were they welded or clamped? Are the exhaust tips stock and re-welded to the new mufflers? Did they weld something to the mufflers so they can use the OEM hangers?
Thank you very much, have a wonderful day!

Hiya SickSix the exhaust upgrade looks pretty nice and I just had a few questions.
How much did the two muffler installation cost? Were they welded or clamped? Are the exhaust tips stock and re-welded to the new mufflers? Did they weld something to the mufflers so they can use the OEM hangers?
Thank you very much, have a wonderful day!
Sorry, I don't remember how much the install was, maybe around $200-300 or so. They are welded on, and the stock tips were cut off the stock mufflers and welded to the Flowmaster mufflers, to keep the look consistent. As far as I know, the hangers are in the same spots on both mufflers, so they were basically plug-n-play.

Really old post but did you ever record a sound clip? I did the center resonator delete a while ago and it sounds cool when I am out side on a cold start but its just too quite.. Ive been looking at doing the 40 series for a while but haven't found many sound clips on the NA motor.. I have the same, Ex Limited non turbo.

I have the 3.5 n/a and have tried a couple different exhaust systems. On both, the drone was just too much, especially if you're going to have passengers. My mother rode somewhere with us on an hour trip and wouldn't stop *****ing. Even tried adding an extra resonator and it helped a little but drone was too annoying. Would have been tolerable but the drone was right at the most commonly used rpm's. About 1700-2000 rpm. I finely gave up and put a new stainless steel oem style system back on which looks really good compared to factory by the way. I'm curious what it would sound like if you kept the resonator but deleted the mufflers? On the 17 expedition, a bunch of us owners have deleted the ugly muffler at the rear and kept the big resonator. It sounds really good and there's zero drone.

^ Please don't. Every state has their own nuances about it, but for the most part it is illegal to remove, do without a muffler.

^ Please don't. Every state has their own nuances about it, but for the most part it is illegal to remove, do without a muffler.

Not necessarily.. I live in CA and so long as you stay under the required +DB, you can modify exhaust all you want. What I cant remove in CA is any of the smog essential equipment, mainly the catalytic converter. I can change the mufflers all I want and the resonator in the middle, just under the gear select, is just to remove cabin drone. I've had the center removed for about 3 years now and I do hear more inside the cabin but I dont mind it. I was more concerned about passengers in the back as Adrian mentioned. That back area especially in the third-row, seems to have less sound deadening than the rest of the cabin. I could be wrong in that assumption tho..

^ Your living in CA, does not mean it is a good suggestion for the general population and in this particular case, KY has one of the most restrictive laws possible regarding muffler deletion or replacement. I'm referring to KY not just because I'm there but also Adrian.

Additionally, you're wrong about CA. There is this myth floating around that certain states ONLY have issue with what the noise level is, when this is not true. CA does have law(s) requiring a muffler, both before and after the '19 law change.

CA law 27150. (a): .

More info:

^ Your living in CA, does not mean it is a good suggestion for the general population and in this particular case, KY has one of the most restrictive laws possible regarding muffler deletion or replacement. I'm referring to KY not just because I'm there but also Adrian.

Additionally, you're wrong about CA. There is this myth floating around that certain states ONLY have issue with what the noise level is, when this is not true. CA does have law(s) requiring a muffler, both before and after the '19 law change.

CA law 27150. (a): [/URL].

More info:
[/URL]

Look man, I appreciate your knowledge here and sure I may not be up to speed but if someone wants to modify their vehicle and risk a ticket, by all means, the only reason we are here is to get the advice of those who have done it.. By experience here in CA, its only a ticket that gets tacked onto whatever you got pulled over for.. Officers really dont care so long as its not obnoxious.. Again, appreciate your input.

^ I was also thinking of areas where there are vehicle inspections. Some states will pass that and others won't.

^ I was also thinking of areas where there are vehicle inspections. Some states will pass that and others won't.

Agreed - I know when I installed my CAI, which if it didn't have a C.A.R.B. sticker, wouldn't have passed visual inspection or smog but passes just fine. Sounds good too lol doesn't do anything but make noise but I like it lol

Back