About to let my Explorer sit for 5-6 months, Anything i need to do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

About to let my Explorer sit for 5-6 months, Anything i need to do?

CorryBasler

Reaction score
City, State
Goose Creek, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Mustang GT 5.0
Hello All, Forgive me if this is the wrong sub for this.

I love my new 2015 Explorer, I've got around 2200 miles on it so far since I bought it June. I go to U.S Navy basic in around a month, and my Explorer will need to sit in my grandparents shop for around 5-6 months until I get into a certain stage of my "A" School (Nuclear Field) where they will let me come back home and get it.

I already plan to get my oil changed at ford, using my service plan that was included in the deal, but is there anything else that needs to be done to make sure my new Explorer will still be like "New" when i come back for it? The shop has the ability to be climate controlled, it has central heating/air but I don't think they will want to run it all winter.

I also plan on applying a good coat or 2 of wax, is there anything else I should do for the finish?

Thanks for your responses and help, want to make sure after i pay for this thing for 6 months i come back to it looking just as nice as i left it!

seRhCRvl.jpg

1ngs3kTl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Disconnect the battery
Get a good car cover
Try to leave as much gasoline in the tank, it prevents moisture built-up (someone can correct me if I am wrong)

There are some things you *should do, but I'm about to lock my Escape in the garage of my summer home until end of May and all I will do is inflate tires to 50 psi to avoid permanent flat spotting and and disconnect the negative battery cable.

That's 8 months a year like that and it starts and runs just fine every year. My previous Pathfinder did the same thing just fine for 10 years. Rust driving the beaches did it in.

There are some things you *should do, but I'm about to lock my Escape in the garage of my summer home until end of May and all I will do is inflate tires to 50 psi to avoid permanent flat spotting and and disconnect the negative battery cable.

That's 8 months a year like that and it starts and runs just fine every year. My previous Pathfinder did the same thing just fine for 10 years. Rust driving the beaches did it in.

I was worried about flat spots too, I just got my rims and tires put on about 200 miles ago, at $180/tire i don't want to replace them for a couple years.

Would you recommend leaving the Explorer on jack stands to just keep it off the ground all together?

I was worried about flat spots too, I just got my rims and tires put on about 200 miles ago, at $180/tire i don't want to replace them for a couple years.

Would you recommend leaving the Explorer on jack stands to just keep it off the ground all together?

I would use jack stands. This will keep your tires from flatspotting as well as remove strain on your suspension.

Remove the battery and get a battery tender to keep it charged while your gone. I'd also look a gasoline additive (Stabil maybe) to keep moisture out of your tank.

I would use jack stands. This will keep your tires from flatspotting as well as remove strain on your suspension.

Remove the battery and get a battery tender to keep it charged while your gone. I'd also look a gasoline additive (Stabil maybe) to keep moisture out of your tank.

2nd that advice for using STABIL but make sure you run the engine for a few minutes after you pour it into the tank to make sure it is the fuel line too.

I'm of the "don't disconnect the battery" camp. Instead, buy a "Battery Tender", and leave it plugged in. Get a decent quality one.

Get a car cover, unless it is going to be garaged.

Put StaBil in the tank and run the car for 10 miles to make sure the stuff has found its way into the injectors.

Jack-stands may be a good idea, but aren't crucial. But do be sure your tires are aired up, maybe a little higher than door-sticker (but not exceeding side-wall recommendation).

Have it washed before you park it. Leaving bird poop on it for six months will leave a stain forever.

Do all those things, it will be like the Volkswagon Beetle in Sleeper.

Good suggestions above.

I'm not sure what kind of shop (mechanical, retail, etc) your grandparents have; but make sure your Ex is parked in such a way to avoid it being unnecessarily disturbed. For instance, if it's a auto mechanic shop, try to keep it as far away as possible from customer cars or work environments in case of mishaps or accidents; and from high-traffic areas so no one has to move your car. But also make sure authorized person(s) have your keys in case they do need to move it.

Would also be helpful if you can find out insurance coverage for peace of mind, or make any insurance adjustments to ensure coverage in case of 911 (authorized drivers, location of the car while you're gone, etc).

Thirdly, I would renew auto registration and insurance if they will expire anytime during your absence or if you anticipate not being able to get it done shortly after your return. My state does not require smog test on new vehicles, but Im not sure if you can renew registration so far in advance--but it's worth finding out if you can or how you can do it while you are away from home. My state automatically dings you if you have a lapse in insurance--which in turn results in suspended registration, added fees, and a whole lotta heartache. Check with your insurance to ensure insurance renewal while you're away.

Finally, aside from making sure your financial obligations are being met while you're gone (bills, whatever), make sure your auto financing (if applicable) is good to go. My friend, who was on TDY for two months, almost had his car repossessed when he missed two payments after the creditor tried to automatically deduct his payments from his checking account via his debit card. He received a new debit card before leaving, but forgot to change his debit billing information.

Hope this helps, and good luck with training.

Good suggestions above.

I'm not sure what kind of shop (mechanical, retail, etc) your grandparents have; but make sure your Ex is parked in such a way to avoid it being unnecessarily disturbed. For instance, if it's a auto mechanic shop, try to keep it as far away as possible from customer cars or work environments in case of mishaps or accidents; and from high-traffic areas so no one has to move your car. But also make sure authorized person(s) have your keys in case they do need to move it.

Would also be helpful if you can find out insurance coverage for peace of mind, or make any insurance adjustments to ensure coverage in case of 911 (authorized drivers, location of the car while you're gone, etc).

Thirdly, I would renew auto registration and insurance if they will expire anytime during your absence or if you anticipate not being able to get it done shortly after your return. My state does not require smog test on new vehicles, but Im not sure if you can renew registration so far in advance--but it's worth finding out if you can or how you can do it while you are away from home. My state automatically dings you if you have a lapse in insurance--which in turn results in suspended registration, added fees, and a whole lotta heartache. Check with your insurance to ensure insurance renewal while you're away.

Finally, aside from making sure your financial obligations are being met while you're gone (bills, whatever), make sure your auto financing (if applicable) is good to go. My friend, who was on TDY for two months, almost had his car repossessed when he missed two payments after the creditor tried to automatically deduct his payments from his checking account via his debit card. He received a new debit card before leaving, but forgot to change his debit billing information.

Hope this helps, and good luck with training.

Its their shop from the family concrete foundation business, doesn't get used anymore its just a huge concrete walled building on their property, was used to store trucks and equipment, So nobody should have a need to bump into my explorer at all, ill put it off to the side so they can still use it if need.

My car loan is though Ford Credit, and auto-debts from my Navy Federal account, which is where ill get my Navy pay.

I'm of the "don't disconnect the battery" camp. Instead, buy a "Battery Tender", and leave it plugged in. Get a decent quality one.

Put StaBil in the tank and run the car for 10 miles to make sure the stuff has found its way into the injectors.

Jack-stands may be a good idea, but aren't crucial. But do be sure your tires are aired up, maybe a little higher than door-sticker (but not exceeding side-wall recommendation).

Have it washed before you park it. Leaving bird poop on it for six months will leave a stain forever.

I totally agree with this post. The only thing I would add is to ensure you use the proper amount of Stabil for the length of time in storage. I personally would use the mix for one years storage, but certainly more than just the recommended mix for one month. This will be posted on the bottle.

TW

I totally agree with this post. The only thing I would add is to ensure you use the proper amount of Stabil for the length of time in storage. I personally would use the mix for one years storage, but certainly more than just the recommended mix for one month. This will be posted on the bottle
+1 on both of the above. Across the last ten years in expatriation I've stored a car and a lot of motorcycles / atvs / offroad karts / etc for a year at a time with no issues.

I'm in the 'don't disconnect the battery camp'. YMMV, but for me it would be :

1) full tank of gas
2) 1 year Stabil mix (drive the explo after adding the Stabil to ensure a good mix in the tank and Stabil thoughout the fuel system). For example, add the Stabil at the gas station when you do the last fillup and then drive the explo to its storage location
3) battery connected to a genuine "Battery Tender"
4) elevate on good jack stands just enough to fully unweight the suspension (tires just barely touching the ground) or, as an alternative, air the tires up to 50 lbs or up to one pound under the maximum recommendation on the sidewall.
5) wax the explo with a good quality wax. Do not leave the wax on the explo! (some advocate leaving the wax on, I do not). Wash and wax as normal.
6) use a good, breathable car cover

Regarding the Battery Tender, I use two "four unit" tenders and two standalone tenders. I did have two of the charging units fail on one of the four unit tenders. That's the only Battery Tender failure I've had since I started using them (when they first came out in the late sixties or early seventies, I forget which).

You've gotten all the good advice so let me just add, non sibi sed patriae

and thank you for your service.

first and foremost - thank you for your service and good luck. nuclear engineering can be fun (if that's what you're doing). Navy electrical schools are also very very good experience.

secondly - good advice so far - Like explorersportguy said - put the stabil in the tank, and then drive on it. I won't say you need to keep the car with the tank full, full but over 3/4 is prefered. and the stabil helps with the rest.

Also another +1 for the leave connected and use a battery tender - and yes spend the extra dollars for a good one and you'll have it a long time. Why? disconnecting the modern computerized car isn't exactly a bad thing and you should do it occasionally - as in during battery replacements. but the computers - namely the infotainment stuffs like to run routines during off time - the main car computer likes to keep tallies on itself and systems also. disconnecting doesn't really hurt anything either, but that first reconnect can be a jolt to the system as a whole. now if you were going far longer like year or more - I'd be more willing to advocate battery removal, but honestly it's not necessary. and besides the battery needs MX to. I mean unless you're going to give it to someoene, it needs to be on a maintainer - or you know in a running car. so get the battery tender leave the car normally connected and call it a month.

Car covers - I personally don't like them. They have a place and that place and a use fine but you're already putting it in side. You're washing and waxing the car - I like a good poly wax. Optimum products spray on, or Meguiars techwax, there are others. Car covers lead to the possibility of scratching, scuffing corners, end points etc - oh and the plastics - let's not forget those plastics.

So poly wax (it's a plastic, the paint on your car is also a plastic - stuffs good) is good for all the parts of the car - except the rubbers. I know some say you can use them on rubbers but again I don't like to. but lenses like your clear coat can use some help. so wash good, wax twice (spray wax doesn't even take time) and get your lenses too. Coat your tires if you want to, and coat your trims with suitable stuff for that

If you want to get full bore - tape up body gaps with 3M painters tape. I'll do that in a garage before I put a car cover on it. I know - crazy. Things can decide to nest in a car cover.

Jacking - even for just a month - take the 10 minutes to jack up the car and place on stands - your tires and suspension will thank you.

Check your oil levels before you leave - and go a head and make sure all your lights etc functions.

Again good luck, thank you and oh yeah - duck.

I think one thing was missed in all the good advise/options ... have the grandparents maybe drive it a few times while you are gone (if not on jack stands) just to get the parts moving.

I think one thing was missed in all the good advise/options ... have the grandparents maybe drive it a few times while you are gone (if not on jack stands) just to get the parts moving.

Yeah they just said don't want to run a battery tender down there for that long, worried about keeping something electrical running and catching fire, and also they don't want it on jack stands incase it gets bumped into and falls.

So i guess ill just inflate the tires to the sidewall pressure and hope for the best.

with those limitations in mind - are they going to drive it for you?

if not - the battery will tolerate a month, not much more but it can. if you're that worried disconnect it. but remember to pull both leads - some people only pull the negative - while that does disconnect the car - it can trip the security system, which in most cars has a supercapacitor or battery backup of it's own. I accidentally left a car for 3 and a half weeks on time due to a company trip (2004 GTO) and it was perfectly fine when I got back. one month isn't horrible.

so take both off - when you come back carefully put positive first, then negative. don't be surprised if you hear a beep, and wait 30 seconds before trying to start, unlock the doors etc. OH and if you feel comfortable with it - leave it parked with the doors unlocked.

while common misconception, if properly placed, you cannot knock the car off the stands. not without enough force that had the car been on tires it wouldn't have rolled over - and not without wrinkling sheetmetal. HOWEVER, such is life.

so with that limitation in mind - you can air up the tires if you feel you need to - I would stay below sidewall value - if it says 45psi, put in 44 with the tires cold.

when you take it out of storage - leave that pressure in the tires for about 1/2 mile or so. whatever at least get it out of the driveway. then back up air-down to door placard (or your preferred values)

Again Good luck and thank you for your service. Enjoy the school if you can.

Thanks for your service, good luck, and stay safe.

Don't park the Ex outside for that length of time. Some have had roof leak problems. You don't want to get back to your awesome ride only to find it full of water and mold.

Yeah they just said don't want to run a battery tender down there for that long, worried about keeping something electrical running and catching fire, and also they don't want it on jack stands incase it gets bumped into and falls.

So i guess ill just inflate the tires to the sidewall pressure and hope for the best.

Based on 16 years of leaving a vehicle at my vacation home off season for almost 8 months, I think you will be fine.

I understand and respect all the precautions that have been posted, and some may say I am nuts, but I have had no prob just disconnecting the negative battery cable and inflating to max for 8 month periods over 16 years. Feel free to take some extra precautions, but you will be fine.

Interestingly, in doing it this way I have gotten normal battery life. One battery lasted six years.

And as far as oil goes, I don't bother to change it before the 8 months. Immediately after the 8 months off is when it gets new oil.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on 16 years of leaving a vehicle at my vacation home off season for almost 8 months, I think you will be fine.

I understand and respect all the precautions that have been posted, and some may say I am nuts, but I have had no prob just disconnecting the negative battery cable and inflating to max for 8 month periods over 16 years. Feel free to take some extra precautions, but you will be fine.

Interestingly, in doing it this way I have gotten normal battery life. One battery lasted six years.

And as far as oil goes, I don't bother to change it before the 8 months. Immediately after the 8 months off is when it gets new oil.

Agreed. The advice in most of this thread is overkill and over thinking. It's a modern vehicle, leaving it for 5 months won't hurt anything except the battery needs to be kept up to charge. You'll probably do more damage jacking it up on stands than anything. And what an inconvenience if anyone has to move it during those 5 months. Fuel wont spoil in a sealed gas tank in just 5 months. Put a Battery Tender on it, throw a dust cover over it and that's all.

Back