Resonator Removal on Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Resonator Removal on Sport

Rican219

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Sport
Going to build a custom Exhaust for Wifey's sport later. I'm thinking about doing a Res Delete this weekend to wake it up a little. I have searched but haven't found to much on this.

In all of my other modifed cars (NA and Turbo'd) this is a quick little wake me up mod (Sound and small performance gain). Anyone done it? I can't be the first.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Going to build a custom Exhaust for Wifey's sport later. I'm thinking about doing a Res Delete this weekend to wake it up a little. I have searched but haven't found to much on this.

In all of my other modifed cars (NA and Turbo'd) this is a quick little wake me up mod (Sound and small performance gain). Anyone done it? I can't be the first.
Hi Rican. Be sure to keep the resonator in case there is a problem with drone in the cabin. X-pipe install might help. Some info in the links below. XS exhaust system is really pretty good from the factory from the perf standpoint. Many other exhaust threads here. Just search on 'resonator' or 'downpipes', etc. The real weak performance link is the downpipes.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=432706

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427183

Resonator delete

I did this on 2015 sport. Removed resonator and dual Flowmaster Super 44's. The drone between 65 - 80 is vicious. Startup and Around town and accelerating sounds sweet but highway cruising takes some getting used to. Doesn't bother me a bit but I haven't had a single passenger that didn't think it was annoying. Drives my wife crazy.

Send me your number and I'll send you a sound clip.

I did this on 2015 sport. Removed resonator and dual Flowmaster Super 44's. The drone between 65 - 80 is vicious. Startup and Around town and accelerating sounds sweet but highway cruising takes some getting used to. Doesn't bother me a bit but I haven't had a single passenger that didn't think it was annoying. Drives my wife crazy.

Send me your number and I'll send you a sound clip.
This seems to be the general consensus. My 'Magnaflows only' mod gave me the sound bump I was looking for with no drone at cruising speeds (but with some exhaust tone - different from drone). No perf diff in 0-60 times at all but now it sounds like the real world 5.9s it is turning.

I'll make a few sound clip videos if I can ever get the chance because I'm really pleased with the result.

I'm curious to hear both of your setups! I'm no a fan of drone and this is wifey's car so I don't want her to hate it but she does want more sound. My G8 was in your face loud but didn't drone. I want her to have some sound when she gets on it.

This is Full Exhaust and Gutted Cats on my G8. I used the Solo-Performance no drone setup (J Tubes) and man it sounded stock inside but In your face outside.

I do not want the ricer rasp! Deep Tone nice G35 on 370Z sound would be awesome.

I have heard the Corsa + Downpipes and I hate that sound.

I was told the other day by a tech at livernois. If you remove the resonator you are going to rob the sport of power. Can anyone else confirm? I did ask if there exhaust came with resonators he said yes.

Don't do it! I have a post in here about it, I put borla mufflers on and had removed the resonator, sound great outside, horrible drobe inside. I put the res. back in and it was perfect. Also, huge noticeable loss of low end torque without it. I thought of putting an x pipe in instead of the res. But I was happy the way it turned out and left it.

Don't do it! I have a post in here about it, I put borla mufflers on and had removed the resonator, sound great outside, horrible drobe inside. I put the res. back in and it was perfect. Also, huge noticeable loss of low end torque without it. I thought of putting an x pipe in instead of the res. But I was happy the way it turned out and left it.

This is some of the BEST advise you will ever get.....best regards Plum

Don't do it! . . . huge noticeable loss of low end torque without it. . .
Some of the guys in the XKR forum experienced a similar loss in low end torque when making piecemeal mods to their exhaust systems. I don't have any experience with the Xsport in this regard, but I have lots of experience with NA motorcycle exhaust systems. Without getting into the technical aspects, you can definitely impact your power characteristics in an unexpected fashion with ad-hoc exhaust mods. Many variables here.

I'm wondering what would happen if we welded in aftermarket resonators.

I'm interested in redoing my cat-back exhaust... Ideally I'd like to upgrade to 2.5 piping, aftermarket resonators and mufflers (borla or magnaflow). I absolutely to not want any drone.

Save up your pennies and just get the Livernois Cat-Back...
great sound/perf & no drone!

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=398544

Full custom is nice, but gets pricey. Including the downpipes and labor from my exhaust guy, I'm in about $2300. Power is vastly improved but I do have some drone between 1900-2100 rpms which is right about 75 in 6th gear. Needless to say, I spend more time in 5th unless I'm doing over 80MPH. Because of the crank angle of the firing pulses on a V6, they have much worse drone than 4's or 8's. There is a fix that I learned from the Cummins Diesel guys, it's a dead-head chamber welded into the system that holds specific tuned volume of space. Finding that volume involves the displacement of your motor, the RPM's where the drone is and even EGT's(or so they told me). The result of the right volume piece is astounding, I thought it was hocus-pocus type stuff but a guy in FLA built a sliding inner/outer section that he could loosen the clamp on and adjust and he could change it from works perfectly to works not at all based on adjusting the slide(and volume) of the chamber. Mines not terrible and I just haven't built the chambers yet, but keep telling myself I will:D

Attachments

• 20140209_170225.jpg
    20140209_170225.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 907

I'm curious to hear both of your setups! I'm no a fan of drone and this is wifey's car so I don't want her to hate it but she does want more sound. My G8 was in your face loud but didn't drone. I want her to have some sound when she gets on it.

This is Full Exhaust and Gutted Cats on my G8. I used the Solo-Performance no drone setup (J Tubes) and man it sounded stock inside but In your face outside.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8Ycre1j8x8
Sorry, nothing but noise pollution to me. To each thier own.:thumbdwn:

Save up your pennies and just get the Livernois Cat-Back... great sound/perf & no drone!

But you get that ricer rasp when you add new down pipes correct?

But you get that ricer rasp when you add new down pipes correct?

No. I did catless down pipes only and have just a little more growl along with a noticeable turbo whistle I didn't have before. Nice performance boost, sound wise the most noticeable thing is the whistle...

I think the cat back is what's giving people the ricer sound, which is why I haven't done it...

No. I did catless down pipes only and have just a little more growl along with a noticeable turbo whistle I didn't have before. Nice performance boost, sound wise the most noticeable thing is the whistle...

I think the cat back is what's giving people the ricer sound, which is why I haven't done it...

Nice so do the downpipes and stay with Stock Exhuast. Still a nice gain in power and sound. Sounds like the best bit of advice so far. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told the other day by a tech at livernois. If you remove the resonator you are going to rob the sport of power. Can anyone else confirm? I did ask if there exhaust came with resonators he said yes.
I'm no expert on cars so this is why I ask questions. How does a resonator provides back pressure? Can someone please explain? Thanks!

Back