4th gen to 3rd gen irs diff swap? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4th gen to 3rd gen irs diff swap?

RVAdams

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer
In an effort to save a my '04 X from one of the most egregious design errors in automotive history (and I'm generally a ford guy;), I'm wondering if I can swap in a 4th gen irs diff without too much hastle. That is if 4th gen diffs are any better. I'm under the impresion they are. I can handle a few altercations. It's not worth a grand or the labor to rebuild rear end though, only to have to do it again.
Any body been there, done that?
TIA, Vaughn

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In an effort to save a my '04 X from one of the most egregious design errors in automotive history (and I'm generally a ford guy;), I'm wondering if I can swap in a 4th gen irs diff without too much hastle. That is if 4th gen diffs are any better. I'm under the impresion they are. I can handle a few altercations. It's not worth a grand or the labor to rebuild rear end though, only to have to do it again.
Any body been there, done that?
TIA, Vaughn

I'm new to explorers, whats wrong with the rear end in the 3rd gens?

If you search, yes it can be done. Easily. The only difference is that the 4th gen has one additional mount point. You won't be using the additional mount.

Make sure you match the gearing correctly.

Thanx Joey

that's what I was after. 4rth gen looks the same with one more mount. I was wondering if I could just let the extra mount hang. I'm not sure, but I'm under the impression that the noisy rear end problem was eliminated with the 4th gen. If that's the case, I'll keep my eye open for a low mile used unit or a reman unit and replace my thrashed '04 irs with it. I know I've got to stick with 3.55, my original gear.
Thanx again.
PS. you're writing from experience, right???

Not experience no. I have very much looked into it myself and searched all around. The end conclusion from other people doing this successfully is yes.

Oh here:

You must drill out the hole and thread it for the speed sensor as the 4th gen does not. You must also remove and press onto the 4th gen gear assembly the speed ring for the speed sensor. Then you are good to go. Go search around and you will find everything you need to know. I want to do this swap too.

Or you can rebuild your current housing. I really don't think there is a huge change in the housing to keep the same components from wearing out. A bearing rebuild kit and outside axle seals is all you need. If you keep the ring and pinion all original shims should be able to be reused. Commonly the carrier bearings go out and cause the ring gear whine. If you get to it early enough you can reuse the ring and pinion. If it's to the point it has creates a vibration you need a new ring and pinion to make it quiet again.

Thanx Boomin

I might just do that. I'll have the house mouse crank up a strong jug-o-joe, but I gotta wait till things cool down a bit. Still near 100 here in Apple Valley, CA
Thanx everyone for your replies, I learned a bit from everyone. The power of shared minds/experience...hard to beat.

Back