New Member! Stock>Mod Max tire size Question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member! Stock>Mod Max tire size Question

APOC543

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer XLT Manual4x4
Hello Everybody, just registered right now for explorerforum.com.
And I just bought my new 1994 Explorer XLT 4x4 Manual trans. last week
Still haven't gotten it smogged yet. Gonna change oil, spark plugs, wires, air filter, etc.

Main question is can i fit a set of 33x12.5x15 tires on my stock Ex?

If that's too big for stock height, what a good size up?

Reason that size is because I have those tires on my 75 Ford F100 and the truck is just sitting there. ( 7 MPG ! that's why!)

I plan later on (within a year or two) to do a Front Dana 44 SAS / Rear Ford 9-inch, so I'm not worried about breaking an axle or the TTB.

Thanks for any help and I hope to answer some of your questions and post pics of my build!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What axle gears do you have? That will affect what size tires you can run, also. As far as what will fit, you should be able to run a set of 31x10.5 with no issues other than a little less mpg and a little less power. With longer shackles and coil spacers you could probably run 33x10.5s, but you may have some rubbing if you run 33x12.5. Shouldn't be anything too bad, just may need to trim some of the plastic. If you do go with the 33s, make sure that you have at least 3.55 gears, maybe even lower. There are people on here MUCH more knowledgeable than me, that's just my personal experience! At any rate, welcome to the forum, and I hope you enjoy your 94 xlt as much as I have enjoyed mine!

I think you want at least 4.10 gears if you're going tires like that. Hopefully you have factory 3.73's now. You can't put 33's on a stock Explorer without rubbing issues, see this:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=67200

Even though you have a manual and don't care about the current axles, I'd be concerned about having a low gear ratio (3.27 or 3.53) and the extra stress large tires would put on the transfer case & transmission.

Thnx MayJan, i looked at the rear diff. tag and it has 3.73 gears with apparently a limited slip on it. My 75 F100 had 3.50 gears that were bad and we are currently running 3.73 gears too. So should be ok for now.

Thanks for the sticky natenkiki2004, ill look for a quick an cheap 4inch lift and probably will end up trimming fenders and adding a larger fender flares.

I have the spare 33 for the pickup, that i will post a picture later when i get photobucket, to size up for reference.
Thnx again guys!

Update to this thread on Sept. 8, 2020

I ended up purchasing BFG's 31x10.5x15 KO2s (All-Terrain) in November 2015 during the Black Friday sale at Pepboys.

Saved a lot of $$$, buy 2 tires get 2 free, using their Credit card, I got 12 months 0%interest to pay it off. Cost around $500 with install and alignment.

After about 5 years of daily driving, they are about half their life so I gotta start working on my lift.

These tires are quiet but you can still hear them on the street/freeway, I have taken the Explorer up to 85MPH so they're not that loud like mud tires. The speedometer will be off by about 5MPH constantly, but it's not annoying or noticeable. They do rub when you have the steering wheel locked to one side and going up the driveway or slight incline. So with No Lift, stock suspension/drivetrain, stock Dana35/8.8 axles with 3.73LS gears, 31 Inch tires are the MAX I would personally recommend.

I am going to start my list of fixes and upgrades I want to do before I upgrade to bigger axles and tires. Hope this helps anyone.

Sounds like a nice rig. Do you have any pictures?

Take care and be safe.

This was a morning after picture in February 2019 at Big Bear Lake in California. Went for snowboarding and had a really fun time!!!
20190205_130724.jpg

Sounds like a nice rig. Do you have any pictures?

Take care and be safe.

Nice!!!

Back