• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel peeling

WhatTheFehl

Reaction score
City, State
Pittsburgh, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Anybody else have an issue with steering wheel peel? The top of the wheel on my 2014 Sport is peeling pretty badly, at only 28K miles. I find this pretty ridiculous on a nearly $50K vehicle.

18786_10152924225282864_1715168157541600095_n.jpg

It has spread quite a bit since that. A few inches in length.

I need to make an appointment to get into my dealer, my schedule is pretty hectic at the moment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody else have an issue with steering wheel peel? The top of the wheel on my 2014 Sport is peeling pretty badly, at only 28K miles. I find this pretty ridiculous on a nearly $50K vehicle.

18786_10152924225282864_1715168157541600095_n.jpg

It has spread quite a bit since that. A few inches in length.

I need to make an appointment to get into my dealer, my schedule is pretty hectic at the moment.

What I do is use a steering wheel cover or at least apply some leather protection stuff on it to keep it moisturized. Leather usually breaks down really easy when it's super dry.

Nope. No problems on my 2011. Do you wear a ring with a sharp edge?

Not uncommon for leather coated wheels, I saw this reported on the KIA Optima forums as well .. thankfully not on mine. Ford should stand behind it, but could be considered a "wear" item.

Interior is covered for the 3yr/36k, after that you are on your own so get it in quickly.

No, I do not wear a ring. But that spot is where my hand usually ends up resting while driving.

I find that those cheap aftermarket steering wheel covers destroy the leather underneath. At least looking at older cars that have them, that is my experience.

I do use protectant on everything. I use 303 Aerospace.

Mine was a Certified Pre-Owned and I bought the extended warranty. The dealer also already knows about the steering wheel, I had made an appointment for yesterday that I ended up having to cancel.

No, I do not wear a ring. But that spot is where my hand usually ends up resting while driving.

I find that those cheap aftermarket steering wheel covers destroy the leather underneath. At least looking at older cars that have them, that is my experience.

Mine was a Certified Pre-Owned and I bought the extended warranty. The dealer also already knows about the steering wheel, I had made an appointment for yesterday that I ended up having to cancel.

In the case that the dealer wont cover it let us know and we will give you employee pricing on it. 303 is great stuff!

-Benny

The clear coating on my steering wheel is starting to peel off at the top. This has never happened to me before in another car. I'm REALLY hoping this is covered under warranty. Has anyone else had this issue?

I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum. The leather has started to roll up and peel off. I have 20K miles. Is thie warranty covered? What a shame for a vehicle listed at 54K. I feel ashamed. I worked as an engineer for Ford, 31 years. This is bad for a so called top of the line Explorer.

I have a 2016 Explorer Platinum. The leather has started to roll up and peel off. I have 20K miles. Is thie warranty covered? What a shame for a vehicle listed at 54K. I feel ashamed. I worked as an engineer for Ford, 31 years. This is bad for a so called top of the line Explorer.

Post #6

A protectant isn't a conditioner. Leather needs conditioner periodically reapplied to restore natural oils.

Pretty much self explanatory. It started small, and peels more every day. This is one of the things it's going to the dealer for on Tuesday.
IMG_20180602_190330.jpg
IMG_20180602_190319.jpg

Re: cheap after market SWC...

They’re on older cars cause the owners were too cheap to get their old SW professionally redone, and hide the condition with a cheesy strech on cover. My fav is a “wheelskin’, the Frankenstein stiching looks bloody horrendous.

You guys must have sweaty hands.I have a 85 300ZX, owned since new with leather wheel, still in very good condition. I have never had an issue like this on any car. A SW takes the most abuse, we’ve always got our hands on it! :chug:

Back