• Register Today It's free!

Front end humming?

mmasire88

Reaction score
City, State
Martinsville, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer XLT
Since getting my explorer up and running I have noticed a slight humming, which only appears with a slight turn of the wheel while driving down the road. If I'm driving down the road, and my truck starts drifting to the right and I turn the wheel just slightly to the left, I can hear a descently loud humming and vibration that I can feel in the steering wheel. It's driving me nuts! Brand new tires on the front, not even 5 miles on them yet, brand new rotors and pads as well.

I've seen quite a few posts about this but nobody seems to have come up with a solution as far as I have seen.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a fairly common problem, it probably ties with timing chains.

It's often called infamous, dreaded, blah blah blah.

Most of us call it 'my hub bearing is going bad.'

Typically, it's the bearing opposite the turn. So if you hear it turning left, it's the passenger side bearing. Which ever side it is, it'll be opposite the side you choose to replace. I recommend doing both sides at once.

Really? My bearing on the passenger side has no play what so ever. I'll take it out tomorrow and see if I can replicate it while turning right, but if I recall correctly it only does it while turning left slightly, or going around a bend. Man, that's going to suck! Those spindle nuts on the ends of the hub/cv-axle look absolutely terrible to get off......

The tolerance for movement on these bearings to test for failure is impossible to detect.
Something like .07" deflection and you have to use a pry bar to make it move.

Even the worse looking nuts seem to come off okay.

Here's a video of a replacement which is on an extremely clean vehicle.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402670

the only difference is if its the hub bearing, you don't have to trashcan the truck like you do with the timing chains :p cant think of anything worse than that chain....ugh. well maybe my old stratus with the stupid "internal waterpump" design....that was pretty fail also.

the only difference is if its the hub bearing, you don't have to trashcan the truck like you do with the timing chains :p cant think of anything worse than that chain....ugh. well maybe my old stratus with the stupid "internal waterpump" design....that was pretty fail also.

Yea, I just finished replacing the motor in my truck. Swapped the long block from a newer mustang and in the process I replaced all the chains on the new motor prior to re-installing. It really wasn't a too terrible of a process. Pretty happy with how it turned out, it runs excellent. So, now that's over and done with I'm trying to fix all the small stuff!

Buy Timkin replacements

Buy Timkin replacements

Timkin only makes roller style bearings, so your rear wheel bearings, that's a Timkin bearing. All other bearings Timkin sells are bought outside of their company and are usually white box.

For your front wheel bearings you cannot get a better bearing than SKF.

Back