Tips for a Storm Chaser

NadoChaser2015

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone!
I'm new to the forum, but just got a 2005 Ford Explorer with 118k on it this week. I'm a storm chaser from Toledo, OH and I travel across the country in pursuit of tornadoes, blizzards, hurricanes, etc. I am looking to install a lift kit and larger tires on my Explorer but this is the first vehicle I've done this with. What would you consider is the ideal lift and tire size for off roading (mud and snow mostly) and are there any mods that will have to go with the vehicle along with those? I've purchased a grill guard, 9500lb winch, 2 off road LED lightbars, a full sized roof amber lightbar (like a police lightbar but amber) and am looking for the optimal capabilities to get up close to tornadoes, help those in homes damaged, plow through the snow with no problems to help those that are stuck without having to worry too much about getting stuck. Thanks guys!

Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey everyone!
I am looking to install a lift kit and larger tires on my Explorer. What would you consider is the ideal lift and tire size for off roading (mud and snow mostly) and are there any mods that will have to go with the vehicle along with those?
Brandon

First off welcome to the gang and here are a lot of answers to some of the questions you have asked. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290074

Second, it sounds like you are not going to need a ton of lift to do what you need to do. I would recommend getting the BTF spacers and lifting the truck with those. Here is an install thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279667

After you give it that lift you will need to do a 4 wheel alignment but you should be able to fit 32s on the truck if you really want to go that big. You will also probably need to change your rear end gearing if you go with to big a tire.

I have not lifted my truck yet but I have some 30.5 A/Ts on it and it gets me everywhere I need to go.
KW3gGPpl.jpg

Welcome to the site! I'm only a few minutes North of you in Michigan. Have you gotten to chase anything big yet? I would love to do that on the side as a hobby, but I'm too chicken, I'd be parked miles away watching through binoculars lol

First off welcome to the gang and here are a lot of answers to some of the questions you have asked. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290074

Second, it sounds like you are not going to need a ton of lift to do what you need to do. I would recommend getting the BTF spacers and lifting the truck with those. Here is an install thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=279667

After you give it that lift you will need to do a 4 wheel alignment but you should be able to fit 32s on the truck if you really want to go that big. You will also probably need to change your rear end gearing if you go with to big a tire.

I have not lifted my truck yet but I have some 30.5 A/Ts on it and it gets me everywhere I need to go.
KW3gGPpl.jpg

I appreciate the response all! I definitely think this will be a doable, and easy solution to my needs because if I get too much lift, it compromises my vehicle integrity when it comes to getting close to tornadoes (wind gets under the vehicle and rolls it). I'm definitely not a intercept type vehicle, I like to get close, but I don't want an armored vehicle. I've gotten closer than some intercept vehicles without armor, just depends on how you play it. Armor plating your vehicle is so outdated! haha I'll keep everyone updated, installing the gear, and might wait a little into winter before installing the spacer lift. Wanting to get the feeling of the Explorer first. Also have had plenty of up close encounters.

I also have chased the historic Buffalo Blizzard about a year ago in my Expedition, but the transmission ended up blowing out later in that year getting stuck pulling someone else out. The Expedition handled driving through the snow like a boss (got 6+ feet of snow in 2 days, plows couldn't keep up) hoping I can get the Explorer the same way.

I think you'll be very pleased with how capable these things are. As you can see from my sit, I've had quite a few Explorers, loved them all, easiest vehicles ive owned to work on, and parts are so readily available for them. ...unless you have a 4th gen and want to lower it, but I digress lol

Welp have another issue to fix now, lost my debit card yesterday, went to the parking lot I was in last...looked for it and did a u-turn and nailed a concrete barrier (was a circular one used for an overhead light, now not used for anything) didn't see it under the front end of the explorer...bent part of the front right corner...not sure what it is...but I'm not exactly vehicle saavy. Not too happy about it.

I study meteorology and can understand where you're coming from. AT tires are a must if you want to drive over anything serious, a lift can help clear more stuff.. you're going to want something thick to cover things that can be punctured if you plan on driving over disaster sites (such as recent tornado touchdowns, where sharp pieces of metal/wood can pierce things such as your gas tank..). Brush guard will help protect your front end and allow you to push small things. You can post a picture of the damage you sustained with the barrier, it shouldn't of been too bad if you were going slow. Sounds like it might just be the front bumper cover you screwed up, which you can either leave or replace.

I study meteorology and can understand where you're coming from. AT tires are a must if you want to drive over anything serious, a lift can help clear more stuff.. you're going to want something thick to cover things that can be punctured if you plan on driving over disaster sites (such as recent tornado touchdowns, where sharp pieces of metal/wood can pierce things such as your gas tank..). Brush guard will help protect your front end and allow you to push small things. You can post a picture of the damage you sustained with the barrier, it shouldn't of been too bad if you were going slow. Sounds like it might just be the front bumper cover you screwed up, which you can either leave or replace.

Cool to hear from another WxGeek, but actually no cosmetic damage, it was actually something under that I bent up. I'll have to get a pic

UPDATE: Pretty sure it's the control arm.

Cool to hear from another WxGeek, but actually no cosmetic damage, it was actually something under that I bent up. I'll have to get a pic

UPDATE: Pretty sure it's the control arm.

Yup, currently in my sophomore year studying it. I'm not sure how to fix that but take a look around, i'm sure someone has dealt with it before.

Yup, currently in my sophomore year studying it. I'm not sure how to fix that but take a look around, i'm sure someone has dealt with it before.

Ended up getting it fixed...got almost all my gear for the Explorer...going to be unbelievable.

there is a company that makes a modular bullbar system that can accomidate a winch

http://www.truckwinchmount.com/photos/index4.html

i have no experience with them i just know that they are one of the only bolt on winch set ups, unless you go with a front mount reciever and a winch on a tray with a hitch,

both have their pros and cons

Just thought I'd post an update for you guys so far of my lovely Explorer. Getting excited as chase season gets closer...but I need help! Where can I get a winch plate for the Explorer that can mount near my license plate...or any advice on mounting one? Thanks guys!

Edit: Won't allow me to submit one so check this link for it! https://www.facebook.com/BVStormChasing/photos/a.377295306283.158581.361713996283/10153576852451284/?type=3&theater

I would suggest getting the 2" front mount receiver and a 2" mounting plate for a winch then you can easilly use the winch in the front or rear (assuming you have a 2" in the back).

Here is the winch mount http://www.harborfreight.com/hitch-receiver-mount-for-winches-69106.html

and the front receiver: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076RLHC

I wanted my lights to be more on the stealth side:

I looked at the photo on your FB, if it were me I'd get rid of the LED flood light and install two 100 watt HID flood lights in the two light mount holes that bumper should have.

You may want to BUILD something like this (and with a front hitch you could use it in the front and combine it's output with the headlights and other flood lights)
31O3p8uMD%2BL.jpg

I say build because pre-made they are a complete rip off at over $1000. You can get (4) 55 watt HID floods on ebay for $30-$40 each. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271750820881 Just need to come up with the mount and telescoping pole.

As for tires I would go with Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

If it were me, I wouldn't lift a storm chaser truck because of the propensity for uplift in a possible tornado to toss your truck like a hot wheels if significant air can get underneath.

I would throw some 32" tires on, I did that in my 03 and 08 in the winter. I got some solid all terrains, currently I gave cooper atp and they're unstoppable in the winter. This will also fill your wells a bit better again reducing the ability of air to create lift under your truck. Most storm chasers I know of drive much heavier SUVs trucks or vans.

I think an explorer will work well just a suggestion. You also need to ensure your truck can move out if the way most reliably in many situations and altering your suspension as you wish will cause extra fail points that could put you in danger. It does look neat but I would pass. You don't want to be stranded with a destroyed cv joint, ball joint, etc etc.

With simple cooper 32s on my truck a few years ago when the Midwest was dumped on with snow, I drove through literally 2+ feet of snow drifts for a solid 1/8 mile as it came over my hood. These tires and a heavy stereo were all I had different from stock. I had probably 3-400 in audio equipment over the rear axle.

KW3gGPpl.jpg

I'd like to get some 30.5 A/Ts on it right now but every time I put in either a 30 or 31 inch tire size as an option at stores it's giving me a 15 inch rim...any suggestions?

I'd like to get some 30.5 A/Ts on it right now but every time I put in either a 30 or 31 inch tire size as an option at stores it's giving me a 15 inch rim...any suggestions?

I have had 31.5-32" rims on 16, 17, 18, and 22 on this body style.

No that's 31.6 total diameter. I've done it before assuming you're using the proper wheels (stock or correct 40-44 offset) you should be fine. Or if it runs it's very minimal and should have no marginal impact.

Back