2016 Sport Seats | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport Seats

Hi Halwg, thanks for checking in :).

We'll have to agree to continue to disagree. I am never "snookered" into buying anything. I deeply researched every, and I mean every, seven passenger alternative to the Sport. My shortlist was the Audi Q7, Durango R/T and the Sport. I drove all on my shortlist and most of the others, then I made an informed purchase of the vehicle that best met my personal quality / content / capability / cost requirements.

Who is calling, or has called, the Sport a "sports car" or "track car"? Not me, not the OP, not other Sport owners in this forum. It's only the Sport naysayers that make these references. For some reason there are forum members that can't comprehend why Ford built the Sport in the first place and feel that they must always make "put down" comments regarding Sport owners and their enthusiastic exploration of the Sport's performance potential.

Live and let live. I've never seen a comment from a Sport owner putting down someone who chose to purchase a base model or XLT. I guess it is too much to expect reciprocal respect from forum members regarding our decision to purchase the Sport.

+1 ^This

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Halwg, thanks for checking in :).

We'll have to agree to continue to disagree. I am never "snookered" into buying anything. I deeply researched every, and I mean every, seven passenger alternative to the Sport. My shortlist was the Audi Q7, Durango R/T and the Sport. I drove all on my shortlist and most of the others, then I made an informed purchase of the vehicle that best met my personal quality / content / capability / cost requirements.

Who is calling, or has called, the Sport a "sports car" or "track car"? Not me, not the OP, not other Sport owners in this forum. It's only the Sport naysayers that make these references. For some reason there are forum members that can't comprehend why Ford built the Sport in the first place and feel that they must always make "put down" comments regarding Sport owners and their enthusiastic exploration of the Sport's performance potential.

Live and let live. I've never seen a comment from a Sport owner putting down someone who chose to purchase a base model or XLT. I guess it is too much to expect reciprocal respect from forum members regarding our decision to purchase the Sport.
I really respect the way u put that... I never read sport owners put the other guys down...
TAKES A MAN TO RESPECT A MAN!!!

I was going to say the Platinum but it is just over $50k
Hi Peter, even if the Platinum is just over 50k, finally people who want the 365hp v6 can get it along with the options they have wanted that have never been available on the Sport. Good to see some Sport DNA in the mainstream explo. Do you know if the Platinum has all the Sport mods or just the eco boost v6?? I wouldn't think that most Platinum owners would be happy with the firmer Sport suspension and quicker steering.

I couldn't have said it any better Hardrocktimes. I have also driven several would be competitors at this price Durango (a fat pig), Audi (overpriced), BMW X5 (disappointing performance and seats) and although not 7 seater...Cherokee Summit (terrible ride). The Sport's list of "pros" is way better than its "cons"... power, performance, comfort and 7 passenger usability cannot be knocked. The little things that I find like door alignment etc I can live with. I think Ford is working these things out as evidenced in the 2016s improvements. Just my 2c.

Hi Peter, even if the Platinum is just over 50k, finally people who want the 365hp v6 can get it along with the options they have wanted that have never been available on the Sport. Good to see some Sport DNA in the mainstream explo. Do you know if the Platinum has all the Sport mods or just the eco boost v6?? I wouldn't think that most Platinum owners would be happy with the firmer Sport suspension and quicker steering.
Hi Fred. I believe the engine is that only main feature it has in common. Sgt 1411 listed the unique features of the Sport in another thread.
This isn't the post I was referring too but it does describe the differences; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3442042&postcount=4

Peter

Well, I'll respectfully go against the consensus in this thread. If Ford did not have spirited road driving in mind when they designed the Sport then why did they :

- stiffen the Sport body structure by 37 percent
- give the Sport a quicker steering ratio
- lower the suspension and fit sport tuned shocks, bushings and sway bars
- reprogram the EPAS and PTU to favor sporting driving
- increase the Sport's 20" rim width from 8.5 to 9.0 inches
- give the Sport a 365hp v6?

It certainly wasn't to improve its off-road capabilities.

Due to torque steer vectoring the Sport is a handful at over 100mph. It's not a sports car or sports sedan, but it is a capable car to drive in a spirited fashion at lower speeds (<100mph). I do have to brace my knee against the door for higher speed right turns and I brace against the console for left turns. It throws me around like I'm a sack of potatoes.

The current Explo is a bulked up Taurus. A car, not a truck. It responds well to street oriented tuning. I do not understand why those of us that like the Sport for its designed purpose (spirited SUV street driving) constantly receive comments in this forum like "get a Mustang" and "it's not designed for that" when it clearly was.

The OP is correct that the Sport's seats are not up to the cornering capability of the vehicle. Although I wouldn't want any more aggressive side bolsters in the seats (I'm 172lbs and 5'9" and the seats are ok for me as my daily driver) I completely understand that someone might want to stick a set of Sparcos in and go for it.

Lighten up and live a little.

Anyway, MHO.

Well said, thank you!....

Are the front seat full leather or leather trimmed with suede on the 2016 Sport?

Edit - Did some youtube searching and watched some videos on the 16 Sport, looks like all leather seats, that is a little disappointing. Love the leather/suede seats in the my Taurus. Not a fan of all leather seats.

Did the Sport seats change for 2016? We like our 2014 Sport seats much better than our 2012 Limited seats.

Some people on here are comical. Buy a Mustang for stiffer seats. Sure, but then you'd be looking at my taillights at the track and still only be able to haul 2.5 people around.

Did the Sport seats change for 2016? We like our 2014 Sport seats much better than our 2012 Limited seats.

Some people on here are comical. Buy a Mustang for stiffer seats. Sure, but then you'd be looking at my taillights at the track and still only be able to haul 2.5 people around.

Not so sure against a 5.0...

Not so sure against a 5.0...

I'm not stock & I usually get a really good jump on stock 5.0s and SRT8s out of the hole. How it ends really depends on how good a jump it was. They play catch up the entire run. The looks on their faces is priceless.:D

Let's get back on track. This thread is about the Sport's seats.

Peter

I am 6'5" and can tell you the drivers seat was not thoroughly engineered compared to the all of the 'sport' aspects of this vehicle. Coming from an Expedition I guess I was a bit spoiled, after only 1 week I am not happy. The Expedition seats are 1 inch wider and a full 2 inches longer and over 2 inches thicker. Now I understand this is not Expedition however both vehicles have the same width so I do not understand why Ford would skimp on their upper Explorer models. Since I cannot afford the newest Expedition Limited which goes for over $55k compared to my 2009 model which was $45k, I went with the EX Sport - the next best thing...right?!? I am seeking a custom upholster to bolster the bottom seat to at a minimum the proper fit for above average guys...which is why I'm not totally disappointed since this is a soccer moms vehicle....right:) I would not suggest this vehicle for taller folks, although the power and performance is why I purchased the twin puppies in the first place. I totally love the Sport, just have to deal with the unimpressive drivers seat.

Back