Idea's ??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Idea's ???

Torqueranger

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 ford explorer 5.0l
I have a Blue 99 Explorer with a 5.0L ..The motor has 240k miles but still runs great but I wound buying my wife a new car and now it needs to be sold .. It needs a battery and 4 tires .. MY question is it worth try to sell or just call a junkyard to come grab it ??? I was looking to get $600 for it ..

Located by Atlantic City ,NJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a Blue 99 Explorer with a 5.0L ..The motor has 240k miles but still runs great but I wound buying my wife a new car and now it needs to be sold .. It needs a battery and 4 tires .. MY question is it worth try to sell or just call a junkyard to come grab it ??? I was looking to get $600 for it ..

Located by Atlantic City ,NJ

Of course a lot depends on condition, but where I live most anything that runs and drives is worth double what you want for it. How bad is the rust? The junk yard would probably only give you $350 for it. Put a used battery in it and sell it for $1000.

Of course a lot depends on condition, but where I live most anything that runs and drives is worth double what you want for it. How bad is the rust?
What rust the body is clean and maybe a little under the body but that's it ..

What rust the body is clean and maybe a little under the body but that's it ..

I assumed being a north eastern vehicle it would have quite a bit of rust. If not, I'd throw a battery in it and ask $1500. Is it AWD? If so ask $1700. Stick it on your local craigslist.

Another vote for put a battery in and sell it. ($1900 or whatever the going rate is in your area - $300 due to the tires = ask for $1600 in the ad and settle for any $1000 or more offer).

What did you do to prevent the body from rusting out?

I doubt you'll get anything over 1000 for a 240k mile truck. I'm in Jersey and been watching these things for a while. There are tons up for under $1000 some being V8 trucks. I hate seeing good trucks scrapped but sometimes it's not worth the trouble of dealing with people to make an extra few hundred. I'd toss it up for 1000 bucks and see what happens just because winter is coming. So long as it's AWD... if it's 2wd forget it you'll never sell it.

My 96 V8 AWD had 143k on it when I bought it and had a knock in the engine, but still ran and drove fine. I paid 500 bucks and it had 3 new tires and a new catback with brakes in good shape too.

Back