• Register Today It's free!

Bulb color?

4X4Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V6
This might be a stupid question.. but I'm wondering what color bulb to use for the brake light/turn signal combo bulb? I plan on getting an LED bulb but I'm not sure if I should get red or white..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The original bulb is white - it goes through a red lens to make the color. Red LED's are cheaper to make than white, and the red lens won't affect the red LED - so either color should work just fine.

Always go with red, if you use a white bulb with red lens the red will look pink, or in other words "washed out" when I had leds on my explorer tails I used a set of high power reds they put out I think 800 lumens each and were perfectly visible during the day and looked awesome at night! Use ebay and search high power red (bulb type) led bulb, most come as a pair, beware of the Chinese crap, go for the usa sellers and don't pay more then 30$ got mine for 20 :D

Always go with red, if you use a white bulb with red lens the red will look pink, or in other words "washed out" when I had leds on my explorer tails I used a set of high power reds they put out I think 800 lumens each and were perfectly visible during the day and looked awesome at night! Use ebay and search high power red (bulb type) led bulb, most come as a pair, beware of the Chinese crap, go for the usa sellers and don't pay more then 30$ got mine for 20 :D

Is it plug and play, or do you need some type of adapter for it to work correctly? Thanks for the response!

Nevermind, answered my own question. Thanks again for the input! :)

Nevermind, answered my own question. Thanks again for the input! :)

No problem buddy! Make sure you get a set of resistors so you will not get the annoying hyper flash the run about 10$ for a set of 4 easy to install, only takes about 30 second's :D

No problem buddy! Make sure you get a set of resistors so you will not get the annoying hyper flash the run about 10$ for a set of 4 easy to install, only takes about 30 second's :D

Fast flash is not necessarily a bad thing...

Maybe with incandescent but not LED.

Well if you like the hyper flash with a LED the more power to ya! :D personally I have load resistors in place to keep mine from doing it, it looks funny and makes the installation of nice, cool LED'S look unprofessional.

Well if you like the hyper flash with a LED the more power to ya! :D personally I have load resistors in place to keep mine from doing it, it looks funny and makes the installation of nice, cool LED'S look unprofessional.

I don't know exactly what you mean by hyperflash but the ones I've seen flashed at about 500ms on 500ms off vs 1 sec on 1 sec off. Was not fast enough to look like a strobe.

Why do they flash faster without loads? I thought thermal flashers were a thing of the past and replaced by electronic flasher units.

Actually, I remember with the thermal flashers adding more load would make them flash faster.

I don't know exactly what you mean by hyperflash but the ones I've seen flashed at about 500ms on 500ms off vs 1 sec on 1 sec off. Was not fast enough to look like a strobe.

Why do they flash faster without loads? I thought thermal flashers were a thing of the past and replaced by electronic flasher units.

Actually, I remember with the thermal flashers adding more load would make them flash faster.[/QUOTE

Ok let's go over these questions one by one lol, whenever a bulb on your vehicle (or most of them) burns out for example a front turn signal, the vehicle will "let you know" the bulb is out by making the bulb flash really quickly, kind of like a bulb out indicator, now here's why a led bulb makes the cars blinker blink fast, led bulbs don't pull enough power since they don't need too, they can produce 2 even 3x as much light as a incandescent using a fourth less of power, now here is where it gets weird, the vehicle can tell if there is a load, (from the old 30-40 watt bulb), if it is not pulling a specific wattage it will trip the cars "bulb out" function, so therefore you need a resistor to "make the car think it's actually pulling the true 30/40 watts of power, do a quick youtube search of led hyper flash. :)

I'm planning on going LED soon for the turns but I do not want load resistors as they cancel out the power savings.

Does anyone know of a replacement flasher relay that is not load dependent? They should make fixed flash rate relays...

***EDIT ADD BELOW***

After doing some Google research it looks like I just need to replace my factory flasher relay with a EP-27 "Electronic" flasher relay...

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=319669&cc=1414493&jnid=560&jpid=2

RockAuto has them and it even says LED on the side...

Back