Installing HID? Read this first. | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Installing HID? Read this first.

For those that have installed the Diode Dynamics HID Kit. I've decided to go with this kit as well but have a question on if I need to install the optional relay that wires power to the battery. I do use the automatic light feature all the time.

Yes I did install it as well, and I run mine on AUTO with DRL running all the time.

Their Customer Support is excellent so give them a quick call to be sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes I did install it as well, and I run mine on AUTO with DRL running all the time.

Their Customer Support is excellent so give them a quick call to be sure.

I did not install and I am running mine in Auto with no issues.

I rarely use Auto as I don't drive real frequent in the dark this time of year (especially during the week) but when i do the Auto seem to work fine (mine are Daytime Brightlights) and while I haven't checked to see if warm when not in use - for us it would be almost impossible unless REALLY hot to know any difference with it being 110+/- out.

·The WORST thing you can do, is install an HID/Xenon kit in a reflector (OR projector) that was made for a halogen headlight. Usually these headlights are designed specifically for the light output of a halogen and since HID/Xenons give out more light than a halogen it screws up the light output and light leaks all over the place and you generally end up blinding every oncoming driver.

Source; http://oppositelock.kinja.com/headlights-explained-1262237738

Just another source that backs up what several members have posted previously.

Peter

I know that Peter is passionate about the HID conversion and I have not even once been flashed for my HID plug and play conversion from my OEM halogens.
Reflectors, yeah that's another matter thou there are now kits designed for those housing to help prevent the blinding.

I know that Peter is passionate about the HID conversion and I have not even once been flashed for my HID plug and play conversion from my OEM halogens.
Reflectors, yeah that's another matter thou there are now kits designed for those housing to help prevent the blinding.
I have met many vehicles whose lights I found irritating but not necessary blinding. I just turn my head a bit but don't flash them. You can't accurately focus 100% your type of conversion due to not having the correct projectors and that is the issue.

Here is a summary of what Transport Canada says;

If you wish to have HID headlights on a vehicle that was not originally equipped with them (ie: came from the factory with incandescent bulb headlights) you must replace the entire headlight assembly, bulbs and lenses, with HID equipment that meet the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations (used to be CMVSS) Standard 108 and 108.1.
http://drivesmartbc.ca/rules-road/equipment/replacing-headlights-hids

Peter

Pictures of install

Can anyone share their pictures of where they installed the ballasts?

Thanks all, I installed HIDs from Diode Dynamics this weekend, instructions were poor, but nothing I couldn't figure out as I am mechanical, took me about 1 hour from start to finish.

Can anyone share their pictures of where they installed the ballasts?

I used existing holes (that have welded OEM nuts already in place) for mine and I did secure the wiring after these shots a little more.

20150403_145854-M.jpg

20150507_180506-M.jpg

Here's a real world pic from the roads around my house. This is looking down a level stretch and stationary. First on high...

15343245281_ca17ac01c9_c.jpg

Here on low.

15323405996_42338f287c_b.jpg

In driving, the cutoff is below the trunk line of any cars bigger than Miatas. ;) Seriously, a car that sits low enough to have any issue would also have issues with the OEM version.
Looks great! Is this a 35w ballast on 4300k bulbs? Do i still need a relay for the headlights? Tnx

i used existing holes (that have welded oem nuts already in place) for mine and i did secure the wiring after these shots a little more.

20150403_145854-m.jpg

20150507_180506-m.jpg

thank you!!!! :d

FYI for those contemplating a headlight upgrade from the OEM Halogen.

Diode Dynamics has now offered an LED headlight replacement bulb for many vehicles including the 2011-15 Explorer.

XP80 LED replacement bulb.

I'd like to see reviews of diode dynamics LED bulbs vs. HID's.

I just did Diode Dynamics HIDs in my xsport.. Perfect cut off.

Good comparison: left is 4300k HID, right is stock halogen
IMG_20151010_200802468_zpsneylagf5.jpg

After:
IMG_20151010_204514197_zpsm7tjyfom.jpg

I may or my not lower the passenger side just a touch.

I just did Diode Dynamics HIDs in my xsport.. Perfect cut off.

Good comparison: left is 4300k HID, right is stock halogen
IMG_20151010_200802468_zpsneylagf5.jpg

After:
IMG_20151010_204514197_zpsm7tjyfom.jpg

I may or my not lower the passenger side just a touch.

I wouldn't, since that is not oncoming traffic and will help to light signs.

The light pattern on the right looks like an eagle!

Has anyone installed the Diode Dynamics new LED replacement headlight bulb?

The light pattern on the right looks like an eagle! Has anyone installed the Diode Dynamics new LED replacement headlight bulb?
wondering the same on the DD LED's. I'd be a tester if they need one!

FYI for those contemplating a headlight upgrade from the OEM Halogen.

Diode Dynamics has now offered an LED headlight replacement bulb for many vehicles including the 2011-15 Explorer.

XP80 LED replacement bulb.

I like the idea, but it seems most are using it as a FOG light replacement. Anyone know how these will compare to the HID kits?

Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone have a how to, with photos, on how to access the head and fog light bulbs? Anything to "know" about the process? Thanks!

Back