Explorer Audio upgrade(s) | Page 16 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Not sure if it is a concern for any of you here, but I was not aware of this. If you trade in the vehicle with an aftermarket stereo/speakers, they cannot Ford certify it. Or at least that is what I was told from my dealer. They wanted all of the original Ford speakers and Sub woofer (on my Edge Sport) before they could certify the car for me. It sounded great! I had an amp, component speakers and a 10" sub installed along with a sound processor to interact with the factory radio/nav head unit. I thought it would be a selling point for them on a used edge, but quite the opposite. Just something to keep in mind.

I've never, ever had a problem trading in a vehicle with aftermarket speakers/equipment. If a dealership tells you they can't "certify" it then I would simply ignore them as most of what they tell you is meaningless. If it really bothers you, ask them if they're going to give you any LESS money for the trade-in because of the stereo (I've never seen this as an issue). Again, I've never, ever had the issue you described. Having said this, any aftermarket equipment you leave in the car (even if it's really nice) is not likely to get you any more money on a trade. If you sell your car privately and a buyer just happens to start drooling because of a nice system, then you might make some money back on your investment. But 99% of the time any upgrades you do with your stereo is pretty much wasted money. Which is why I always install all my equipment with the intention of taking it out when I sell the vehicle. It can be re-used on your next car, or sold on eBay.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am of another camp ... I keep my cars until the doors fall off (my last car before my 2013 explorer was a 1996) so any upgrades I install die with the car. They would be too old and outdated to be of any value to remove and try to sell.

unless it's obvious you've changed the audio system (like Sub box in the back) how else are they going to know. They don't need to know, you won't get $$ back on these upgrades at the dealer for sure. There are things buyers (dealers or otherwise) don't need to know at times.

unless it's obvious you've changed the audio system (like Sub box in the back) how else are they going to know. They don't need to know, you won't get $$ back on these upgrades at the dealer for sure. There are things buyers (dealers or otherwise) don't need to know at times.

Most of the times, as in my case, a mounted amplifier that has left a noticeable indentation under the seat...

Again thanks ! Sounds like I will set aside an afternoon in the near future and get at. I probably will be using Pioneer speakers like you, have had good luck with them in the past. While I am at I will throw some Dynamat sound deadener in the doors at the same time.

Edit - ordered Pioneer 6x9's for the front and 6.5" for the back from Amazon this morning as well as some Dynamat to do the doors while I have the panels off. Should be a project for next weekend. Good to have a much better understanding of the work involved now.

Thanks again ShannDaMan , got the new speakers and Dynamat installed yesterday and today. Took about 5 hours in total by time I cut down the spacers to mount the speakers etc.. Broke a couple of those white fasteners so had to make a run to the local Ford dealer. Outside of that it went pretty well, new speakers sound great. Boy the "premium" sound system with Ford sure comes with cheap speakers. Stereo sounds much crisper now, although a sub would sure be nice, just not worth the hassle. My C7 'Vette has a sub in it and when I jump between vehicles you sure notice the difference.

Glad the install went easy for you, and that you like the speakers.
I agree that a sub would be nice to have in this system, but is too much of a hassle to easily integrate into the factory system without Sub.
You can try to compensate for the lack of sub by adjusting the EQ low setting up a bit, if you bought the same speakers as me they have very good low freq response and can handle a bit of low freq overdrive and still sound clean.

the EQ settings that sound best to me are:

High - 5 above center
Mid - 2 above center
Low - 3 above center

I am 48 yrs old and spent 20 yrs in the army around helicopters, so my high freq hearing is bad, you will probably want your High level lower.

Also, the factory system (without sub) soundstage is biased toward the front speakers, so adding a few steps of rear fade will increase rear fill and improve the system overall sound significantly.

Microsoft Sync

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum as well as the Explorer scene all together and so far I'm loving both! I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited AWD. I don't know how many speakers it has but I do know that it has the sub and amp. I was actually surprised at how well the OEM system sounds, but being the basshead that I am, it just isn't enough. I'm wanting to redo the whole system. I've read this entire thread and haven't seen anything about stereo upgrades. Right before I purchased my Explorer I started working on the system in my 07' Dodge Megacab. I know, poor planning... I have the newest Kenwood DDX9902, 2 sets of Focal 6.5" coaxials, and the JL Audio XD400/4v2. I'd like to install all of this in my Explorer as well as some sort of custom box with 1 or maybe even 2 JL Audio 13TW5's. My question is this, is there any way to upgrade the headunit without loosing all of the Sync features? If possible, I'd like to do it all myself so I haven't contacted my local stereo shop. I'm sure they'd know what I needed to do but I figured I'd reach out to ya'll first!

Hi everyone! I'm new to this forum as well as the Explorer scene all together and so far I'm loving both! I recently purchased a 2011 Ford Explorer Limited AWD. I don't know how many speakers it has but I do know that it has the sub and amp. I was actually surprised at how well the OEM system sounds, but being the basshead that I am, it just isn't enough. I'm wanting to redo the whole system. I've read this entire thread and haven't seen anything about stereo upgrades. Right before I purchased my Explorer I started working on the system in my 07' Dodge Megacab. I know, poor planning... I have the newest Kenwood DDX9902, 2 sets of Focal 6.5" coaxials, and the JL Audio XD400/4v2. I'd like to install all of this in my Explorer as well as some sort of custom box with 1 or maybe even 2 JL Audio 13TW5's. My question is this, is there any way to upgrade the headunit without loosing all of the Sync features? If possible, I'd like to do it all myself so I haven't contacted my local stereo shop. I'm sure they'd know what I needed to do but I figured I'd reach out to ya'll first!
Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
The Limited has a 390 watt 12 speaker system. Although I don't know for sure, I doubt that you can upgrade the head unit since so many things are integrated through MyFord Touch (MFT).
Please add the model (Limited) to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thanks.

Peter

My question is this, is there any way to upgrade the headunit without loosing all of the Sync features? If possible, I'd like to do it all myself so I haven't contacted my local stereo shop. I'm sure they'd know what I needed to do but I figured I'd reach out to ya'll first!

No, not really a way to "upgrade" the head unit, if by upgrade you mean replace it with an aftermarket one. Although there are plenty of aftermarket solutions that can integrate with it and give you some really decent sound.

Tony

Thank you both for your replies! I guess I'll have to make my way to my local stereo shop.

No, not really a way to "upgrade" the head unit, if by upgrade you mean replace it with an aftermarket one. Although there are plenty of aftermarket solutions that can integrate with it and give you some really decent sound.

Tony

Tony,

What did you have in mind? I have a 2016 XLT (so no sub)... I'd like to find something that can integrate into the head unit to keep all factory functions. Then I could add an amp and new speakers and maybe a small powered sub under the front seats.

Not sure which options Tony was referring to, but I'll be using an Audio COntrol DQ-61 in my 2016 XLT.....from there I'll be feeding a pair of JL Audio amplifiers and running aftermarket speakers....including subs.

Tony,

What did you have in mind? I have a 2016 XLT (so no sub)... I'd like to find something that can integrate into the head unit to keep all factory functions. Then I could add an amp and new speakers and maybe a small powered sub under the front seats.

There's tons of options and manufacturers to choose from. As GeoGeek shared above, he/she is using an Audio Control DQ-61. Audio Control has several units that do something similar, depending on what features you want (the DQ-61 is pretty feature-rich). Audio Control is but one of many brands with their own solution to integration.

What you're going to look for is a Line Output Converter (LOC) which will take your factory signal and convert it into something your aftermarket amplifiers will be happy with. There's all sorts of parameters to take into consideration (for example, the DQ-61 also has equalization, time delay, and signal summing). The summing could be particularly important because a lot of new cars (read: our Explorers) split the audio signal at the OEM amplifier into different bands of frequencies which in and of itself would require multiple aftermarket amplifier channels inputs in order to produce an amplified signal to your speakers that represent the entire audio spectrum. A summing function would combine those separate signals into a single usable full-spectrum signal for your amplifier.

Aftermarket equipment integration into the factory system can be tricky business depending on your goals and often requires a lot of research from multiple sources. Mostly gone are the days where you could just pull the OEM stereo out of your dash, plop in a Pioneer head unit with or without new speakers and amplifiers and call it good.

Keep in mind I'm referring to the upgraded Sony system when using the example of signal summing. Your XLT system might not need this, I'm not as familiar with it.

Hope that helps.

Tony

The 2016 XLT (mine has the 9-speaker premium stereo with 8" MyFord Touchscreen) has no outboard amplifier and, as best I can tell has five channels of speaker-level output coming from the factory head unit. There are Front Left, Front Right, Rear Left, Rear Right, and center channel pairs of speaker wires coming out of the factory radio....I can give you the wire colors if you'd like.
The front left (and right) go first to the 6x9 in the door and then another set of wires jump off (in parallel) up to the tweeter, which has a capacitor to block the low frequencies.
The right (and left) rear signal goes first to the 6-1/2" speakers in the rear doors and then also have wires that split off and go to the 3" speakers in the 3rd row.
The center channel output feeds directly up to the 3" speaker in the dash.
The stereo achieves the balance of the output among these speakers by using speakers with varying impedance....therefore, it would be quite difficult to do a simple swap-out to aftermarket speakers. If you also put in an aftermarket amplifier, you have the option of adjusting the levels of output going to individual speakers.

I have a 16 Sport and while the stock sound system is good....Its not great. The bass is very very limited. Anyway to just install an aftermarket sub without hacking things up? I know in my mustang they have a replacement subwoofer which mounts in a clean location and hooks up to factory wiring

Hi all,
I am also interested in swapping font, back, and center speakers.
I have 2016 sport with 12 speakers. what ohm should I get?
can I get speakers with 2 ohm ? or 4 ohms?

Anyone install one of these integrated amp and sub in their XLT? I have the 9 speaker system, would be nice to have some deeper bass, this might be a nice way to do it. Looks to me like it could fit right behind the 2nd row seats in that space/cavity, measurements look like it will tuck right in, just a matter of running the power and speaker inputs.

http://www.amazon.com/Powerbass-BTA8-Single-8-Inch-Enclosure/dp/B0081OQRAO/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I have ordered it and will let the forum know how it works out. Not looking for thumping bass just a nice level to give the system some fullness. Replaced my door speakers already , this will be the last step.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Did quite a bit of research on how best to do this, here is what I have come up with. Think DaxManley on this thread had it mostly right.

I will pull out the radio and off the back will grab my L/R speaker wires from the front speakers to get the signal to the sub and use the blue switched wire for the on/off function on the sub. Back on pg 7/8 on this thread there are some good pics of that unit pulled out of the dash and wiring labelled. That saves a lot of time.

There is a grommet behind the glove box in the 2016 to get thru apparently to run the power to the battery, the washer fluid line runs thru it. Some have claimed that it was easy to push a wire thru this grommet , others claim it is near impossible. You have to dismantle the glove box to get to it. I think it might be easier to drill the firewall as was done again back on pg 7/8 by DaxManley. Need to be very close to this location as the firewall can be tricky to get thru it is double walled, video below is great for that location.

Drilling a hole thru the firewall, about the 8 min mark if anyone is interested. This is for trailer brakes but applies if your looking to power a subwoofer.

Looks like they got thru pretty easy at this location....need to make sure you use a grommet and silicone to seal after the wire is in.

https://www.etrailer.com/tv-install-tekonsha-prodigy-p2-brake-controller-2014-ford-explorer-90885.aspx

I've never, ever had a problem trading in a vehicle with aftermarket speakers/equipment. If a dealership tells you they can't "certify" it then I would simply ignore them as most of what they tell you is meaningless. If it really bothers you, ask them if they're going to give you any LESS money for the trade-in because of the stereo (I've never seen this as an issue). Again, I've never, ever had the issue you described. Having said this, any aftermarket equipment you leave in the car (even if it's really nice) is not likely to get you any more money on a trade. If you sell your car privately and a buyer just happens to start drooling because of a nice system, then you might make some money back on your investment. But 99% of the time any upgrades you do with your stereo is pretty much wasted money. Which is why I always install all my equipment with the intention of taking it out when I sell the vehicle. It can be re-used on your next car, or sold on eBay.

Tony

It's actually not meaningless. There are standards a vehicle has to meet in order to be certified. If one of your aftermarket speakers craps out do you think the dealer wants to be on the hook to go find whatever it is you stuffed in there and replace it? Ford sure as hell isn't going to cover it and thats the point of a certified vehicle. You might consider it a good thing that your dealer will let you slide but then you have to ask yourself if the certified vehicle your buying from them is really what it should be as well.

It's actually not meaningless. There are standards a vehicle has to meet in order to be certified. If one of your aftermarket speakers craps out do you think the dealer wants to be on the hook to go find whatever it is you stuffed in there and replace it? Ford sure as hell isn't going to cover it and thats the point of a certified vehicle. You might consider it a good thing that your dealer will let you slide but then you have to ask yourself if the certified vehicle your buying from them is really what it should be as well.

Excellent point. Still, coming from someone that buys and sells a lot of new cars, I've never been told or experienced this. But still, you make a good point.

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Spent the last 40 yrs buying and selling vehicles, all types including a lot of high end sports cars never had an issue with after market speakers trading in or selling a car. Most buyers are glad to get them. Trade in value determined by power train, tires, brakes, body and interior condition, not why do you have high end speakers in your car shouldn't they be those low end paper Made in China pieces of crap? Ford could still certify the vehicle just by excluding the audio system if need be.

Back