View from beneath 2016 Explorer Platinum | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

View from beneath 2016 Explorer Platinum

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Aviator Reserve
I picked up my 2016 Platinum two days ago, and I'm thoroughly impressed with this vehicle. One of the first things I do when I get a new car is put it up my lift and check out the underside to see "what makes it tick." This time, I had my camera with me, and I took a bunch of photos while I was poking around under my Explorer. Among the things I noticed:

- There's removable ductwork under the oil pan that directs cooling air at one of the catalytic converters. (That's why I think it's there, so please correct me if I'm wrong.)

- The exhaust system is a true dual exhaust with two pipes running front to back. I was expecting a merge to a single pipe, then a split to exit through the two mufflers at the rear.

- The rear differential and the driveshaft that delivers power from front to rear are much more robust than anticipated. And that's a good thing.

If you're interested to see what the underside of a new Explorer looks like, here's a link to my online photo album. I've added a brief description at the bottom of each photo so you know what you're looking at:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/9964408@N07/8V2f45

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Those are great photo's thanks.

The removable air duct your referring to does look like it sends air to the exhaust system but its part of the TOW package. It sends air to cool the PTU.

- The rear differential and the driveshaft that delivers power from front to rear are much more robust than anticipated. And that's a good thing.

Can you please expand on what you mean by this? We own a 2015 Ford Explorer and even though it's been fine so far my dad just doesn't believe it is a reliable car, so any positive information would be appreciated.

There is a merge in the pipes. It is at the resonator chamber fwd of the muffler just under the fwd crossmember. Great pics!

Can you please expand on what you mean by this? We own a 2015 Ford Explorer and even though it's been fine so far my dad just doesn't believe it is a reliable car, so any positive information would be appreciated.

While I'm not a professional mechanic, I've restored muscle cars, built 1/4-mile race cars, and maintain my daily drivers in the shop in my barn. Many of my buddies are also automotive enthusiasts, and when they visit we usually put one of their daily drivers on the lift for one reason or another.

Over the past thirty years, I've had the opportunity to examine the underside of many all-wheel drive vehicles (e.g., Toyota Rav4, Volvo V60, Chevy Equinox) and typically see what I consider to be a small differential at the rear of the vehicle. They're designed this way because these vehicles are primarily front-wheel drive (like the Explorer) and the rear differential and driveshaft are designed to accommodate only the limited torque needed to enable the rear wheels to assist in limited-traction situations.

I found my Explorer's rear driveshaft and differential to be larger and more stout than the equipment I usually see on all-wheel drive vehicles, and that's why I made the comment. Keep in mind that I do not know for certain if the Explorer's setup can actually accommodate more torque than the rear differential in other AWD cars I've examined, but it sure looks more heavy-duty.

There is a merge in the pipes. It is at the resonator chamber fwd of the muffler just under the fwd crossmember. Great pics!

I agree, on the Explorer the two pipes from the engine merge into a common chamber (probably for pressure equalization), but they emerge from the chamber as two separate pipes rather than a single pipe and continue as dual pipes all the way to the rear.

Other "dual" exhaust systems I've seen do the merge at the front, then a single pipe runs from front to rear and splits at the rear to make the vehicle appear to have a dual-exhaust system -- but it's not a true dual-exhaust system as found on the Explorer.

This exhaust system is specific to the Sport and Platinum (twin turbo V6 engine) only. The Limited, XLT and Base models do indeed have a 1 into 2 system.

Just as I've been suspecting from how they look more like a crossover than a SUV, transverse engine, primarily front wheel drive junk. Ford ruined the Explorer. Never will I own a Explorer newer than 2010. I'll prob upgrade from my 2003 to a 2010 eventually when once that gets too old it will be on to a Land Rover LR4, Toyota LandCruiser, or Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.

Just as I've been suspecting from how they look more like a crossover than a SUV, transverse engine, primarily front wheel drive junk. Ford ruined the Explorer. Never will I own a Explorer newer than 2010. I'll prob upgrade from my 2003 to a 2010 eventually when once that gets too old it will be on to a Land Rover LR4, Toyota LandCruiser, or Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
While it is true the 5th gen Explorer is no longer what the previous generations were, Ford decided to make the change due to a steady decline in sales of the 'old' version. The majority of buyers were no longer interested in it. The market changed and therefore Ford made the wise choice to move with it. Sales of the 5th gen have increased yearly and in fact Ford hasn't been able to keep up with the demand and has decided to convert one of its other plants to help in the production of the Explorer. You can't argue with success.

Peter

TechGuru, as mentioned before, the 2011-2016 Explorer was designed for the large number of people who drive their families on paved roads mostly and sometimes take the vehicle "off roading" meaning driving on a dirt or gravel forest road that may get a little bumpy. It is perfectly suited for that and Ford hit the nail on the head. That is what the majority of owners will need this generation of Explorer to do and it is designed to do that well. It is not a rock crawler. Perhaps someday Ford will bring back the Bronco and design it to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. There are only two things that I wish my new Explorer would have, and those are skid plates and about another inch of ground clearance. Then for me it would be a perfect vehicle.

Oh and Exit32, nice pictures of the underneath of your Explorer. Aren't the 15 and 16 basically the same though unless you have the Sport with the more performance suspension?

I am extremely surprised that they used a true dual exhaust system. My 2011 XLT has dual exhaust that merges into a single pipe. Glad to see the redesign was more than just a simple a facelift.

I also noticed they relocated the horns to the front grill where the hood lever is. No more muffled horn sounds.

Back