Grunt/grind when first accelerating after startup | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Grunt/grind when first accelerating after startup

foxtemple

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Ford Explorer
My ex emits a noise that can be only be described as a grunt-like noise when first accelerating after turning on the ignition. Pretty much after you turn on the car and first set off there is a grunt. If you are setting off on a downhill grade you can feel and hear a grinding sensation through the brake pedal. The noise isn't particularly loud but you can definitely hear it. I have tried immediately putting my car in neutral and the car still emits this noise. It happens when you get to around 5mph.

Another thing that may be a separate issue is that my rotors feel warped only sometimes. I mean I am pretty sure they are slightly warped but when I am braking downhill my car shakes pretty badly. Lets say I am braking from 20mph to a stop down hill... my car will shake. If I brake from the same speed on a level grade my brakes feel like they are fine [only maybe slightly warped]. I ordered new LCA bushings on amazon along with new front rotors/pads. I am guessing this may help but I am not sure. Anyone experience either of these 2 issues?

Could be the infamous dragging caliper striking again!! Do a search of the forum!

Well, your brakes sound warped for sure, probably the fronts more than the rears. When you come down hill, and brake, you load the fronts even more. That's why it's worse in that circumstance.

I bet the "grunt" you are hearing is your strut bushings on the way out. See my post on this repair.

Back