Bluetooth/Handsfree options - 04 Explorer Limited | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bluetooth/Handsfree options - 04 Explorer Limited

Lockdown

Reaction score
City, State
Naples
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi all! My wife has a 2004 Ford Explorer Limited 4dr with the original 6 CD changer, Ford part number 4L2T-18C815-CE. The truck also has the rear seat factory DVD (although it's not working; next project).

Here's photos of the front and rear of the stereo:

4L2T-18C815-CE_front.jpg

4L2T-18C815-CE_rear.jpg

So, my question is what would be recommended to integrate Bluetooth Handsfree operations with the stock radio unit? We need the handsfree driving and BT music features. At this point, I'd rather keep the stock head unit.

Ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For home and car stereo stuff, I use Crutchfield. They have knowledgeable information. Crutchfield.com, but I'd call them and ask them. And no, I don't work for them, but this post does remind me that I need to get new speakers for my Explorer.

For home and car stereo stuff, I use Crutchfield.

Thanks. I've been looking at their site as I've used them for other vehicles. Interestingly, their vehicle selector regarding audio setups doesn't have my truck's configuration... they only offer the "w/o Rear DVD" option.

I was looking at THIS on eBay that looked like it would do the trick perfectly, but the distributor said it wouldn't work with my radio... I suspect they may be wrong...

Probably just replace the HU and bring it up to date. Do a Google search for a work around for the RES. Actually if you have an '04 you can get an adapter to retain the RES. As mentioned above call crutchfield they are excellent.

you need the one that connects to the SAT plug at the back, what you have is the integrated CD changer which is not supported.
i've looked at GoGroove and used some of them, the issue I have with them is that you have to tune it via FM radio and stream music and accept/place calls.

12107258_1688949138002203_5518242596596991445_n.jpg

this one you have to use the PIE AUX adapter. I used this in my toyota since the HU has an AUX input but no AD2P streaming (only receive and place calls via bluetooth)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIE-FRD03-A...t-interface-/111791916404?hash=item1a07514574

10599217_753848644656590_5454960244343229642_n.jpg

[MENTION=260027]lincolnshibuya[/MENTION] Thanks for the ideas. I've looked at the FM Transmitter units, but would rather not go that route if possible.

This is the route I went.

Installed this JVC head unit a few years ago and it has worked great. Nice features and I like it a lot.

A couple months ago I had a 1,200 mile drive ahead of me so I installed this BT adapter made for the head unit. Mounted it on the right side of the instrument cluster facing the driver. The unit has a plug that plugs into the rear aux input of the head unit. It works perfectly.

Thanks. I've been looking at their site as I've used them for other vehicles. Interestingly, their vehicle selector regarding audio setups doesn't have my truck's configuration... they only offer the "w/o Rear DVD" option.

The stock head unit is the ONLY unit that will allow you to use the rear DVD system. That is why Crutchfield says "no dvd options" on all the head units. If you want to buy a stock head unit or get one from a junkyard, you can use the rear dvd system. Otherwise, you will just buy an aftermarket head unit that has Bluetooth capabilities built in, and then get an aftermarket dvd system or use a portable dvd system instead.

I just installed a Kenwood Double Din Bluetooth w/ handsfree unit in our 04 with Premium Sound and Rear Entertainment System. We no longer have sound inputting to the head unit from the DVD but I wired it so the DVD does get power when the key is on. That way the DVD will still play and provide output to the wireless headsets. We didn't play the DVD sound through the speakers all that often anyway. This way we didn't have to completely give up on the rear DVD.

I bought the unit and all the install accessories from Crutchfield. The install looks clean and we retained the steering wheel controls and subwoofer.

UPDATE: The rear DVD does in fact power up and I see the blue screen flash up on the video display, I have not been able to actually play a DVD. The must be more communications information being passed between old head unit and DVD player. Sorry

I just installed a Kenwood Double Din Bluetooth w/ handsfree unit in our 04 with Premium Sound and Rear Entertainment System.

Which unit did you get?

Also, do you have a copy of the wiring diagram for the factory harnesses?

I just installed a Kenwood Double Din Bluetooth w/ handsfree unit in our 04 with Premium Sound and Rear Entertainment System. We no longer have sound inputting to the head unit from the DVD but I wired it so the DVD does get power when the key is on. That way the DVD will still play and provide output to the wireless headsets. We didn't play the DVD sound through the speakers all that often anyway. This way we didn't have to completely give up on the read DVD.

I bought the unit and all the install accessories from Crutchfield. The install looks clean and we retained the steering wheel controls and subwoofer.

I was wondering if there was a way to tap power for the DVD. You would have to cut the power connector to DVD and wire it to a power line that wouldn't blow the fuse, so I'd be curious too. I thought it was crappy that you have no way to power the rear DVD without a factory head unit. That's just dumb.

The rear DVD unit has power to it at all times from the same power circuit as the head unit. However, the DVD needs a signal to "turn on." The DVD connector on the back of the Ford head unit is a 16 pin connector. Pin 6 (LG/BK) is the turn on signal (see photo at top of post). Ford listed it as "Audio System ON (ASYSON)." I used the wire from the new unit labeled for Power Antenna to instead turn on the DVD. I didn't actually cut the wire to the DVD but instead used one of those splitters that snap onto the wire.

The rear DVD unit has power to it at all times from the same power circuit as the head unit. However, the DVD needs a signal to "turn on." The DVD connector on the back of the Ford head unit is a 16 pin connector. Pin 6 (LG/BK) is the turn on signal (see photo at top of post). Ford listed it as "Audio System ON (ASYSON)." I used the wire from the new unit labeled for Power Antenna to instead turn on the DVD. I didn't actually cut the wire to the DVD but instead used one of those splitters that snap onto the wire.

Thanks for that as well. Currently the factory DVD won't power on, so that's on my ToDo list...

Also, thanks for the diagrams. I was hoping that I may be able to wire in a 3.5mm female jack/Aux port, but don't see how from those three drawings...

you need the one that connects to the SAT plug at the back, what you have is the integrated CD changer which is not supported.
i've looked at GoGroove and used some of them, the issue I have with them is that you have to tune it via FM radio and stream music and accept/place calls.

How did you like the FM transmitter units? Was the quality any good? Could the person on the other end hear you ok? I'd rather not go with FM mode, but may be forced to...

Also, what is the unit in your 2nd photo?

Thanks!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIE-FRD03-A...t-interface-/111791916404?hash=item1a07514574

How did you like the FM transmitter units? Was the quality any good? Could the person on the other end hear you ok? I'd rather not go with FM mode, but may be forced to...

Also, what is the unit in your 2nd photo?

Thanks!

The music streaming via FM is OK (i listen to mostly talk radio or low volume music), you just have to turn on the volume on your phone louder than normal. The phone is picking up some noise because the unit is placed below the dash near the shifter on my mustang, so I have to speak louder when doing bluetooth phone calls. My LS and Continental has HU that has external mic that I placed near the steering wheel and facing me so the reception on the other side is excellent) there are other gogroove units that has longer and flexible arms to properly orient the unit. I bought this on-sale so I can't complain, it works for me leaving everything stock.

the other unit (pictured below) that I used was for my 07 camry hybrid that has an AUX input but it can't stream music via bluetooth (can receive/place phone calls only via bluetooth) it's similar to Kinivo BT adapters sold in amazon, except that I could use it using headphones. You can use this but you have to buy 2 adapters, one that converts your SAT to an AUX input and the other is a BT adapter to connect to the AUX input. Unfortunately our stock HU don't have an AUX input.

Stock Radio (SAT plug) << PIE-FRD03-AUX-S Adapter << GoGroove or Kinivo BT adapter.

If you go with either (FM or AUX) note that you can only receive/place calls when it's switched to that mode. If you are listening to FM or CD from the stock radio, you will not be able to receive calls until you switch. The other issue I found out too is that since the cigarette lighter is always on, you have to unplug it when leaving the car and have to disconnect/reconnect (re-power) to enable bluetooth again if it disconnects.

Best way is to buy a HU with BT capability, receiving and placing calls is seamless.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-BTC455...ie=UTF8&qid=1444937269&sr=1-4&keywords=kinivo

Thanks lincolnshibuya.

At least I'm not against a wall... My 2011 Ram and our older 98 ML320 both have the Scosche BT1000 installed. They work totally independent of the factory systems, but have the benefit of automatically powering on and hooking up to the paired phone when the vehicle is started. The call quality is ok, not great, but not that poor either; depends on where you put the mic.
Before I rip the BT1000 out of the ML320 for this Explorer, I'm still looking at newer options.

Back