PTU Problems | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Explorer PTU Leak

Well my brand new Explorer Sport 2 weeks old and with 500 miles already has a leak! The dealer said it was a PTU seal leak. In addition both front wheels have damage to them from the factory.
What a disappointment. I have owned Fords most of my life including Explrers, Mustangs and Taurus.
Hoping the dealer fixes properly and this is not a continuing problem. Kinda glad I bought the Ford ESP now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well my brand new Explorer Sport 2 weeks old and with 500 miles already has a leak! The dealer said it was a PTU seal leak. In addition both front wheels have damage to them from the factory.
What a disappointment. I have owned Fords most of my life including Explrers, Mustangs and Taurus.
Hoping the dealer fixes properly and this is not a continuing problem. Kinda glad I bought the Ford ESP now.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
I have merged your thread with this existing one on the same issue.

Peter

Hey everyone,

Guess I'll throw my story "hat" in the ring... My wife was having issues with our 2011 Explorer, when reversing out of our slightly sloped driveway, the car had "tension" and would not roll freely, but all of a sudden it would free up with a clunk/jump. It was also making a grinding noise slightly as you drive. When you park, you can definitely smell burning rubber or something, so I took it to the dealership this past Monday night.

Just got the bad news, they say the PTU has a crack in it, thats the problem. They quoted $2048 parts and labor to fix... Geez.

Does this sound like a fair price? I've read through the thread and the closest I've seen was about $1300 total, but that was for the seal. I definitely dont want to get ripped off.

Hey everyone,

Guess I'll throw my story "hat" in the ring... My wife was having issues with our 2011 Explorer, when reversing out of our slightly sloped driveway, the car had "tension" and would not roll freely, but all of a sudden it would free up with a clunk/jump. It was also making a grinding noise slightly as you drive. When you park, you can definitely smell burning rubber or something, so I took it to the dealership this past Monday night.

Just got the bad news, they say the PTU has a crack in it, thats the problem. They quoted $2048 parts and labor to fix... Geez.

Does this sound like a fair price? I've read through the thread and the closest I've seen was about $1300 total, but that was for the seal. I definitely dont want to get ripped off.
I really have no idea of the repair cost but I'd definitely get some quotes from other dealers. I'm sure replacing a PTU unit would be much more than replacing a seal.

Peter

Hey everyone,

I would also send a PM to the Ford CS reps here on this forum.

You should be getting assistance from your Region Ford Service rep, the PTU issues are well known inside Ford and they may assist you if you push hard enough.

2017 MY will maybe see a redesigned PTU.

I believe I was quoted $600-$800 USD for the part depending on salvage versus new. The labor seems like it was a few hours or $300 to $500 USD. I keep getting the PTU replacement quotes mixed up with the clutch replacement quotes on my wife's 2012 Focus Titanium before Ford actually extended the warranty and said they'd pay for it.

Huge bummer seeing that Ford has done nothing for this issue yet.

My last vehicle, a 2009 Ford Edge also had the 3.5, and was AWD with a PTU. Guess what, previous owner had it replaced (under warranty I would assume) and I picked it up with about 90ish thousand miles. After a couple months or so I got the nasty drips in my driveway, and was getting the HORRIBLE burning smell filling my interior when I would stop.

Ended up having to take a huge loss and get rid of the vehicle, the dealers and forums said the repair was sometimes up to $3000-$4000 and seemed to only postpone an inevitable issue. I loved the AWD system on the Edge, but Ford needs to do away with this PTU garbage.

Hey everyone,

Guess I'll throw my story "hat" in the ring... My wife was having issues with our 2011 Explorer, when reversing out of our slightly sloped driveway, the car had "tension" and would not roll freely, but all of a sudden it would free up with a clunk/jump...

I really have no idea of the repair cost but I'd definitely get some quotes from other dealers...
Hello awd_sr,

I agree with peterk9’s suggestion. Seeking a second opinion from another Ford Dealer is another alternative to reach a resolution.

In the meantime, please check your inbox when you get a chance.

Let me know if you need anything else! :)

I would also send a PM to the Ford CS reps here on this forum...
Sgt1411,

Thanks for the mention, and enjoy the rest of your day! :thumbsup:

Tricia

PTU leaking black syrup like oil

I just got my ex back from the shop today and was told that my power transfer unit had almost no oil in it and that there was metal in what oil there was left. The shop put 1/2 a quart of oil in it and told me to check if it still leaks. I think I've read that PTU seal leaks are not uncommon. Should the shop replace a seal? What about the metal fragments?

What about the metal fragments?

What kind of shop simply refills a leaking driveline component, with metal fragments, and sends you on your way? Guaranteed failure heading your way. The PTU is a known weak point, especially the unserviceable ones on the early, NA models. Expect an $800 - $1000 replacement at some point.

Dealer discovered ptu was leaking on my wife's 2011 XLT when we brought it in for the door handle recall. It was done under warranty so no clue on how much it cost but it was not a small job.

I'm not sure how long the ptu has been leaking but back when my ex was within the bumper to bumper warranty I brought hard shifting and clunking to their attention multiple times and they could never fix it. Could it be the ptu? Would I have any luck getting a ptu replaced even though I'm out of warranty from ford? Also does anyone know the part number for the ptu and the best place to get one in case I need it replaced in the near future?

I'm not sure how long the ptu has been leaking but back when my ex was within the bumper to bumper warranty I brought hard shifting and clunking to their attention multiple times and they could never fix it. Could it be the ptu? Would I have any luck getting a ptu replaced even though I'm out of warranty from ford? Also does anyone know the part number for the ptu and the best place to get one in case I need it replaced in the near future?

PTU is covered under powertrain warranty which runs 5 years/60k miles. Ours was replaced at 50k-ish....right before we traded it in :D.

How many miles are on your ride now?

PTU is covered under powertrain warranty which runs 5 years/60k miles. Ours was replaced at 50k-ish....right before we traded it in :D.

How many miles are on your ride now?

The PTU is a known problem.

Use the Ford Reps here on this Forum to get your Regional Service Manager involved.

You shouldn't be paying for PTU repair.

Has anyone on this forum had their out of warranty car covered with the help of a regional service rep? I brought my car in for clunking and hard shifting way before my powertrain warranty was up but I have no clue if that was related to the PTU... the dealer was never able to fix my problem but did replicate it.

Does anyone know if a bad PTU would cause front end clunking??

Does anyone know if a bad PTU would cause front end clunking??

Unlikely. More likely front suspension (struts, strut bearings, CV joints, etc.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought there was a TSB on PTUs that covered Explorers. Not sure it will help you though. At 65k miles, you might get a friendly dealer that will take up your cause with Ford warranty. As you said, you don;t know when it started leaking. Could have started at 59,999 miles and just didn't notice it now to report it.

Back