• Register Today It's free!

Dimming side mirrors?

Tony407

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Ford Explorer Sport
Does anyone know if the auto-dimming side mirrors from the Limited can be easily retrofitted onto the Sport? I'm tired of being blinded by traffic behind me. $50K for a vehicle that doesn't have this as standard equipment? Come on, Ford!!!

Tony

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does anyone know if the twin turbo engine from the Sport can be easily retrofitted into the Limited? I'm tired of being caught by traffic behind me. $50K for a vehicle that doesn't have this as standard equipment? Come on, Ford!!!

Sorry about the sarcasm (not really).....As I've mentioned before, the old $50K argument grows old really fast. No one twisted your arm when you bought the vehicle and you should have known about it's options (or lack thereof) prior to your purchase. If you didn't....shame on you for not doing your homework. For Ford, trying to please everyone with all the options simply drives the costs up even further....next time buy a Limited or Platinum or simply understand that there are compromises that need to be taken into consideration across the trim levels that they chose to offer.

Does anyone know if the twin turbo engine from the Sport can be easily retrofitted into the Limited? I'm tired of being caught by traffic behind me. $50K for a vehicle that doesn't have this as standard equipment? Come on, Ford!!!

Sorry about the sarcasm (not really).....As I've mentioned before, the old $50K argument grows old really fast. No one twisted your arm when you bought the vehicle and you should have known about it's options (or lack thereof) prior to your purchase. If you didn't....shame on you for not doing your homework. For Ford, trying to please everyone with all the options simply drives the costs up even further....next time buy a Limited or Platinum or simply understand that there are compromises that need to be taken into consideration across the trim levels that they chose to offer.

Fanboy much?
Usually the next trim up, has all of the features from the previous trim, plus extras.

The Limited does NOT have side dimming mirrors. The feature was only added in the 2016 model. Since no Explorer model had it before 2016, it would highly unlikely to be an easy upgrade for 2011-2015 models. Wiring will probably not be there for the dimming function to work.

Bugger off. I knew damn well the mirrors didn't dim. Even back then I thought Ford needed to include dimming mirrors for $50K but I liked it so much I bought it anyway. Now I'm asking others if I can retrofit because that's what we car lovers do. We like to modify our cars. And we usually start with things we think will make us happier. And we sometimes whine about our cars not coming with certain equipment. It happens from time to time. Sorry you took so much of your precious time to reply to my "old argument" when you could have used your sarcasm elsewhere. Sorry for the sarcasm (not really).

Tony

The Limited does NOT have side dimming mirrors. The feature was only added in the 2016 model. Since no Explorer model had it before 2016, it would highly unlikely to be an easy upgrade for 2011-2015 models. Wiring will probably not be there for the dimming function to work.

Oh...I didn't realize they weren't a feature on the Limited either. That's almost worse than what I was originally whining about (had to put that in there to keep the HughCares police away). How does a car manufacturing giant like Ford Motor Company not offer such a common and popular feature such as dimming side mirrors on the ENTIRE LINE of the most ubiquitous mid-sized SUV in North America? LOL. (Easy, HughCares. Down boy.)

Seriously though. Thanks for the reply, Omar302. I'm sure you're right, if the mirrors weren't offered then it's not worth it to even try.

Tony

Bugger off. I knew damn well the mirrors didn't dim. Even back then I thought Ford needed to include dimming mirrors for $50K but I liked it so much I bought it anyway. Now I'm asking others if I can retrofit because that's what we car lovers do. We like to modify our cars. And we usually start with things we think will make us happier. And we sometimes whine about our cars not coming with certain equipment. It happens from time to time. Sorry you took so much of your precious time to reply to my "old argument" when you could have used your sarcasm elsewhere. Sorry for the sarcasm (not really).

Tony

Yep, Tony, you got hosed and now you are whining on the internet. We all feel really bad that you wasted your 50K on such a lousy vehicle!

And you realize that if you simply asked a question about switching mirrors sans the 50K vehicle whining, folks would be much more apt to give you a civil answer.

I've wondered how those mirrors work and for others in the same boat here is an explanation that seems to indicate it isn't just a matter of changing mirrors.

In auto dimming mirror technology, a forward-looking sensor detects low ambient light from headlights behind the car and directs the rear-view sensor to look for glare. The mirrors darken automatically in proportion to how bright the glare is, then clear once the glare is no longer detected. The technology is called electrochromics, which applies electricity in order to tint glass through a low-voltage power supply. The electricity moves through an electrochromic gel placed between two pieces of glass during manufacturing, which have been treated with an electrically conductive coating. Electrochromic technology is also increasingly included in building design with the use of so-called "smart windows," as an energy-efficient response to light and heat.

Read more : http://www.ehow.com/how-does_5003057_auto-dimming-mirrors-work.html

Peter

[MENTION=163604]peterk9[/MENTION]

Thanks for the information. With dimming side view mirrors, they use the same sensors & electronics that control the interior dimming mirror. You can even test it on your MKT by simply turning on the interior lights at night, the sensor on the interior mirror will take that light as glare from behind & then both your interior & side view mirror(s) will darken. So the side mirror(s) just follow the interior mirror.

Fanboy much?
Usually the next trim up, has all of the features from the previous trim, plus extras.

Me? A Fanboy?....Not at all my friend.

Oh, and by the way...the Sport is not to be considered a trim level above the Limited...it's just a "different" trim. The Platinum is the step up from the Limited by virtue that it has all that the Ltd has to offer plus more. Just because the Sport may cost more (simply due to the twin turbo engine only) doesn't mean it is a step up. This is clearly the case since it doesn't offer all of the options that the Ltd does...

Pick the trim level you are most satisfied with and then understand that you may not get all of the options that you personally feel the vehicle should have to make you happy. Don't spend your precious money and then whine about how many options are missing and how much you paid....no one cares....

I gotta agree with hughcares on this one. i see folks on here all the time throwing around how much they paid for this vehicle and how it doesn't do this or doesn't do that. do folks not research what they're buying or ask questions?

i also don't understand the whole throwing around the 50k stuff. we all know what these vehicles cost and throwing the price around for the sake of an argument, is silly. if you're so disappointed with it, why keep it. sell it and move on. i just don't understand some folks being so disappointed in their car and keeping it. is it some form of self torture so you never make that mistake again?

I gotta agree with hughcares on this one. i see folks on here all the time throwing around how much they paid for this vehicle and how it doesn't do this or doesn't do that. do folks not research what they're buying or ask questions?

i also don't understand the whole throwing around the 50k stuff. we all know what these vehicles cost and throwing the price around for the sake of an argument, is silly. if you're so disappointed with it, why keep it. sell it and move on. i just don't understand some folks being so disappointed in their car and keeping it. is it some form of self torture so you never make that mistake again?

You don't understand why people keep the vehicle instead of selling it?
It's called depreciation and a vehicle is one of the worst asset anyone can buy (unless it's a collector)!
You're already out thousands of dollars, just by driving it out the lot.

Me? A Fanboy?....Not at all my friend.

Oh, and by the way...the Sport is not to be considered a trim level above the Limited...it's just a "different" trim. The Platinum is the step up from the Limited by virtue that it has all that the Ltd has to offer plus more. Just because the Sport may cost more (simply due to the twin turbo engine only) doesn't mean it is a step up. This is clearly the case since it doesn't offer all of the options that the Ltd does...

Pick the trim level you are most satisfied with and then understand that you may not get all of the options that you personally feel the vehicle should have to make you happy. Don't spend your precious money and then whine about how many options are missing and how much you paid....no one cares....

Here in Canada, the difference is more than just the engine.
No tow package, bliss, inflatable seatbelt and lower quality rims.
The standard offerings of the Limited is fairly plain and costs an additional $2,250 for equipment group 301A; which includes bliss, park assist, auto dimming driver's side mirror etc...

The standard offerings of the Limited is fairly plain and costs an additional $2,250 for equipment group 301A; which includes bliss, park assist, auto dimming driver's side mirror etc...
That is the same for the Limited model sold in the U.S. except the 301A package there is $3000 (U.S.).

Peter

You don't understand why people keep the vehicle instead of selling it?
It's called depreciation and a vehicle is one of the worst asset anyone can buy (unless it's a collector)!
You're already out thousands of dollars, just by driving it out the lot.

Oh brother. Your arguments are getting more silly with every post.

But thanks for explaining depreciation to me. I'll live a much fuller life now that i understand that concept.

Oh brother. Your arguments are getting more silly with every post.

But thanks for explaining depreciation to me. I'll live a much fuller life now that i understand that concept.
613GT500 has a point. Some people will keep their vehicle despite the issue(s) just for that reason (depreciation). This has come up and has been discussed on this forum before.

Peter

considering yesterday's post and thread I find this one hilarious.

Also thanks Peter for that bit on the electrochromic system. I would say to retrofit on a car that didn't come with you'd probably need to replace your rear view mirror if it wasn't auto dimming. then you'd need wires and a vehicle software update/OPC load.

I'd be some work but doable. The goal of the sport was to have a sporty SUV/tall wagon device - that didn't cost the 60+K of the others on the market.

meh - I want to see them make an expedition sport. but I digress.

Ummm....you do realize that you are simply reinforcing the point I made with regards to trim levels right?.....The available options within those trim levels obviously also come in to play (I didn't realize that I had to spell it out). At the end of the day...the significant difference between the Ltd and the Sport is the engine. Some standard features and additional options available on the Ltd are not all offered on the Sport and some Sport options (wheels and blackout trim for example) are not available on the Ltd.....Therefore you can easily conclude that they are simply different trim levels from one another and that the Sport should not be considered a higher trim level than the Ltd since it does not have access to some of the "luxury" options the Ltd has.

Ummm....you do realize that you are simply reinforcing the point I made with regards to trim levels right?.....The available options within those trim levels obviously also come in to play (I didn't realize that I had to spell it out). At the end of the day...the significant difference between the Ltd and the Sport is the engine. Some standard features and additional options available on the Ltd are not all offered on the Sport and some Sport options (wheels and blackout trim for example) are not available on the Ltd.....Therefore you can easily conclude that they are simply different trim levels from one another and that the Sport should not be considered a higher trim level than the Ltd since it does not have access to some of the "luxury" options the Ltd has.

No, the difference is not only the engine (comparing a stock Limited to a stock Sport).
As I already listed, No tow package, No bliss, No inflatable seatbelt and lower quality rims!

An option for additional features…is an option…it’s not standard equipment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, the difference is not only the engine (comparing a stock Limited to a stock Sport).
As I already listed, No tow package, No bliss, No inflatable seatbelt and lower quality rims!

An option for additional features…is an option…it’s not standard equipment.

Unless I'm missing something, you are again reinforcing what HughCares stated. Options on one vehicle may be standard on the other. So the limited has tow package, bliss and inflatable belts standard and the Sport has a better engine standard and looks better.

You can get those options on the Sport, but you cant get the Sport engine in the limited, so i suppose the limited is limited in that regard.

Back