Labor cost for engine replacement? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Labor cost for engine replacement?

4X4Bauer

Reaction score
City, State
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer EB V6
It could possibly be something else, but I think I'm starting to hear some timing chain rattle. Considering I have access to the exact same engine, what would a typical mechanic charge for labor? Most of the mechanics around here charge $60 an hour. And I really don't want to fix the timing chain, knowing that the complete kit is $300 and labor is a few hundred more, and then there's still the head gasket issue with these engines.. I'd rather start somewhat fresh with a low mileage one.

Selling it isn't an option. I just had the rockers repaired and overall I have too much money into this to give up now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

8hrs in the book to pull, 8hrs to drop in. I was quoted 2 grand in labour from a non ford shop. They all seem to think you need to pull the transmission, I did it myself without pulling the transmission.

8hrs in the book to pull, 8hrs to drop in. I was quoted 2 grand in labour from a non ford shop. They all seem to think you need to pull the transmission, I did it myself without pulling the transmission.

Jesus, that's scary. I only paid 750 for the rocker panels but I'm not looking forward to shelling out almost 3 grand for the engine. Maybe I'll sell it? Who knows. This car is causing a growing money-eating cancer in my bank account.

Same here, was quoted 2k for just labor plus the cost of the motor. Did it with a body on Saturday in about 10 hours in my driveway.

Yeah, took me a couple days to do myself. Just need an engine hoist and a lot of wobble extensions to reach the transmission bolts.

I'd do it myself, but I'm 18 and I'm not mechanically inclined enough to take on an entire engine replacement.

An engine swap (same engine) is not to difficult. It is a lot of physical labor. There are a bunch of short cuts that really save time. Remove the hood, having a torch to cut exhaust pipes heat stuck bolts, air tools and someone who has done it before all help.

I had a guy helping me who was a professional parts stripper, and the old engine came out fairly easy. Do some research and you can find a lot of time saving tips.

Around here, if the replacement engine out, I can get an engine swapped for something around $600 to $1000 in labor.

. Considering I have access to the exact same engine, what would a typical mechanic charge for labor? Most of the mechanics around here charge $60 an hour. .

I had a new, reman engine installed into my Ex 2 years ago and the engine R&R labor charge at a Ford Dealership came to approx. $1650. This included the parts they swapped over from my old engine to the new and the evacuation of the AC system and re-charge.

That's another thing. You the book says you need to evac the AC system, but you dont. On a v6 there is more than enough room to move the pump to the side and tie it off with zip ties. A couple hundred bucks in savings right there. I didn't bother pulling the rad either, there is about 6 to 8 inches of room with it still in when you pull the engine.

Engine replacement cost

Sorry to hear about your situation. I just had the engine in my 2003 Eddie Bauer replaced at the Ford dealer. Dropped an intake valve on #6 cyl. All in, labor and a rebuilt engine will set you back about $5500. The dealer will be glad to give you a written estimate. Takes them about 3 to 4 days to get it done.

If yours is in otherwise good condition then I would drop in a Ford re-man and get the 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

Good luck.

I had a crate engine put in mine 2 years ago. All in it was $4500, but that included the cost of the engine itself. Had it back in 4 days once they got the engine delivered to the shop. This was not at a Ford Dealer, just a local mechanic. Mine is the 4.6L V8 also.

Back