Anyone lease and bought it out after 3 years? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone lease and bought it out after 3 years?

Ecobeast88

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
Anyone on here buy out there lease after 3 years? Leased my explorer now and kinda glad I did after joining this forum. Don't think I'll keep it after the lease is up. Would like to hear other people's reasons for buying one out. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I’m not leasing my Ex, I did lease my previous car, a MazdaSpeed6, and then bought it at the end. My thoughts are, if it doesn’t give you any issues over the 3 years and you take care of it, go ahead and buy it.

You have a 2015 and already thinking about ditching it...in 3 years? Must be the worst Explorer to roll off the plant ever.

Not sure about the tax laws in the US, but the majority of people I know that lease to return, are Sales Rep and Business owners; who uses the vehicle "mainly" for work.
This allows them to write off a portion of the lease every year.

Otherwise, the only benefit of leasing is being able to drive a new vehicle every 2-3yrs, as it is not the best financial decision; due to the residual being just shy of 60% at the end of the term.

I'm on my 6th lease and will go on to my 7th after this one. If you lease and then buy out, you will be paying more than if you bought it initially. But you can look at a lease as a long test drive if you are thinking about buying it anyway. One advantage of leasing is that you likely won't have any maintenance costs apart from the regular oil/filter changes and you don't have to pay the full vehicle price or the full amount of tax either.
My 2011 Limited was on a 4 year lease but the dealer really wanted it back after 3 years as they had a buyer for it. The Ex had about 11k miles on it. They paid off the remaining year, bought it from Ford (residual was around 19K after 4 year lease) and gave me a great deal on the Lincoln which was in the showroom and I have now on a 3 year lease.

Peter

I am on my first lease with the 2016 explorer, there are enough dislikes/lack of options that I will not keep it at the end of the lease. Of course this is why I leased it, after having a 2006 and lots of issues, I did not want to get stuck again.

I am on my first lease with the 2016 explorer, there are enough dislikes/lack of options that I will not keep it at the end of the lease. Of course this is why I leased it, after having a 2006 and lots of issues, I did not want to get stuck again.

Once your lease is up what would you most likely move into? I like the explorer just not happy with the quality of it.

Once your lease is up what would you most likely move into? I like the explorer just not happy with the quality of it.

Well that is the quandary, I like the explorer better than anything else out there, but the quality is lacking and there are some design issues that limit it use for me.

Well that is the quandary, I like the explorer better than anything else out there, but the quality is lacking and there are some design issues that limit it use for me.

What are those limiting design issues?

Rear window not opening, dead pedal in the way, visibility around vehicle, AWD vs a real 4wd.

Ah, I see...so nothing major other than personal taste; as none of those were a concern that I noticed.

Ah, I see...so nothing major other than personal taste; as none of those were a concern that I noticed.

Nope, it is nice, just some things I did not like about it

I miss a retracting rear window as in my old 4Runner. It eliminates smells surely and rapidly while driving after you've suddenly been made aware of a fume-spewing vehicle in front of you via olfactory means.

Plus, if the back is loaded and you want to retrieve something off the top without opening the hatch and spilling content, the retracting window is a blessing.

LOL :bsnicker:.....kind of like those auto dimming side mirrors you yourself demand it should also have eh? :hammer:

LOL :bsnicker:.....kind of like those auto dimming side mirrors you yourself demand it should also have eh? :hammer:
I think you have the members mixed up, First of all, no one demanded self dimming mirrors. There was a thread started by another member asking about the item and discussions followed on that topic.
It also wouldn't hurt to start showing a little more respect for fellow members.

Peter

Back