• Register Today It's free!

94 4.0 in my 91

tuck817

Reaction score
City, State
Ft.Worth TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 2 door 4x4 xl
My buddy wrecked his 94 and gave me his motor. My question is can I just put my intake and exhaust on it and it will work? I noticed his has the cam sensor on it and mine doesn't.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will if you also swap the computer.

That's not available. Also I tried to remove the whole cam sensor and broke the housing and electronics. My thoughts were I could just put my top end on his block and run with my ecu. will that not work?

'91 to '94 4.0's all use the exact same long block. So, worst case scenario, you have to strip both engines down to the long block move the '92 accessories over to the '94 long block.

That's what I was thinking. Any one know if putting my oil drive from my 91 where the 94 cmp is going to work.

That should work but I don't know why you'd want to. You ought to be able to just plug/cover the hole and be a-ok. Piece of sheet metal with some Permatex The Right Stuff and it'll outlive the rest of the vehicle.

I have also heard older engines use 2 1/4" pipe, where 93+ use 2". If that's the case, you can swap exhaust manifolds, but you will need to delete the egr.

Thanks all for replies if it will ever stop raining I'll get to it.

That should work but I don't know why you'd want to. You ought to be able to just plug/cover the hole and be a-ok. Piece of sheet metal with some Permatex The Right Stuff and it'll outlive the rest of the vehicle.
I would still need something to turn oil pump.

You could've just left the old cam synchronizer in and left it unplugged. It would still drive the oil pump. But now just pull the unit from your old engine and install into the new used engine.

Benjam :D

Got everything done on top today. Gonna do oil pan gasket tomorrow do I have to do timing cover gasket at the same time? And should I do rear main?

Timing cover gasket is probably easier done without the engine dropped in. It's possible to do but a lot of stuff has to be moved/removed. It'd also give you a good opportunity to look the timing system over and see how happy things are.

Back