New Member Intro | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New Member Intro

NOFEARCT

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Sporttrac
I'm excited to start learning all that I can about my new "truck." I picked up a MY14 Explorer Sport this morning, tuxedo black over black/brown.

To the explorer, I'm hoping to add:

-Michelin LTX M/S2 265/60/18 (Need suggestions on a winter capable all season)
-Go Rhino! Push Bar (no model intended for civilian use...)
-Rigid LED Q Series lights for push bar
-Rigid 50 inch E2 Light Bar for roof
-Window Tint + Weather Tech window visors

Looking forward to hearing from y'all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like that list of mods. It's a different direction than most others here have gone. I just picked mine up last week, black on black. I'm going to start the mods next week. Window tint, pasti-dip the rims all black, wheel spacers and a mild tune. Keep us posted and take pictures as your making the changes.

Kevin

Welcome !!

Welcome to this forum!
Thank you BrooklynBay!

I like that list of mods. It's a different direction than most others here have gone. I just picked mine up last week, black on black. I'm going to start the mods next week. Window tint, pasti-dip the rims all black, wheel spacers and a mild tune. Keep us posted and take pictures as your making the changes.

I am completely new to this platform, I know on my old truck there was a wide range of people going down to 17's or going up to 24+ inch rims; what seems to be the general direction of the new explorer crowd? I imagine the new ones are leaning more towards on road performance?

Welcome !!
Thank you, 04Mach1!

Welcome

Welcome to the Forum NOFEARCT.:wavey:
Since you have so many projects planned, I will move your thread over to the Modified 2011 + Ford Explorer Discussion forum. Many members have completed various 'mods' and would be happy to assist in any project you want to do.

The tire you mentioned has a 4.3 out of 5 overall rating in reviews from 47 users. The 'snow' rating is the lowest (3.4) compared to the other categories which are all over 4.0 on 1010tires.com. This isn't a surprise since no all season will be as good as a dedicated Winter tire. Also you seem to be going to a wider (265) tire that the one I assume you have (255). For Winter driving, especially in snow, you are better off with a narrower tire.
Good luck Chris.

Peter

Welcome to the forum, with the list if vehicules you previously owned can't wait to see what you do with your Ex.

To answer one of your question regarding rim size, tight now it seems most stick with 20's or upgrade to 22's.

I personally think 22's log great, it's a good size doesn't look exaggerated, I really think ford should of done like the Edge and equipped the ExSport with 22's.

You'll find plenty of pics

Welcome to the Forum NOFEARCT.:wavey:
Since you have so many projects planned, I will move your thread over to the Modified 2011 + Ford Explorer Discussion forum. Many members have completed various 'mods' and would be happy to assist in any project you want to do.

The tire you mentioned has a 4.3 out of 5 overall rating in reviews from 47 users. The 'snow' rating is the lowest (3.4) compared to the other categories which are all over 4.0 on 1010tires.com. This isn't a surprise since no all season will be as good as a dedicated Winter tire. Also you seem to be going to a wider (265) tire that the one I assume you have (255). For Winter driving, especially in snow, you are better off with a narrower tire.
Good luck Chris.

Peter

Thanks Peter.

Yeah I know that going wider on the tires won't help in the snow but the other 9 months of the year it will be beneficial... It's a tough place to be, every car I've owned has had multiple sets of wheels and tires and I'm really trying to avoid that this time around. Maybe Michelin all terrains would be better?

I could probably get some Continental DWS... Those have been exceptional on previous cars.

Welcome to the forum, with the list if vehicules you previously owned can't wait to see what you do with your Ex.

To answer one of your question regarding rim size, tight now it seems most stick with 20's or upgrade to 22's.

I personally think 22's log great, it's a good size doesn't look exaggerated, I really think ford should of done like the Edge and equipped the ExSport with 22's.

You'll find plenty of pics

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to do some more searching around, lots to do, lots to modify! Haha

Does anyone have an idea of what I can sell my factory 20 inch Sport wheels and tires for?

Welcome. I'm from the Boston area too.

Thank you.
How are you liking yours?
How was it in the snow?

I traded in my 08 Scion Tc for my first SUV purchase. It has about 33500 miles and I took a 6800 mile road trip early on. Zero issues and no complaints.

Since we live in New England, we have crazy weather. I felt a kid in a candy store during the first snow storm. I drove through piles of snow that covered the height of my tires so maybe a foot of snow easily. Never got stuck before and I'm still using stock tires and brakes.

When did you get your car?

I'm interested in pictures of your mods especially the Rigid LED Q Series lights for push bar.

I traded in my 08 Scion Tc for my first SUV purchase. It has about 33500 miles and I took a 6800 mile road trip early on. Zero issues and no complaints.

Since we live in New England, we have crazy weather. I felt a kid in a candy store during the first snow storm. I drove through piles of snow that covered the height of my tires so maybe a foot of snow easily. Never got stuck before and I'm still using stock tires and brakes.

When did you get your car?

I'm interested in pictures of your mods especially the Rigid LED Q Series lights for push bar.

That's awesome. I'm looking forward to giving it a go in the winter months, I've always had trucks avid SUV's so my expectations might be a big skewed.

I have the Q series on order but I'm thinking of going with twin 30 inch light bars instead, one in white and one in amber. Not sure yet what I'm doing really.
I have pictures up on Instagram though, if you wanted to see the steelies + push bar look

Just ordered a pair of E2 Rigid light bars, one 28 inch and one 20 inch. Should have them within a week, I'll post pictures when it comes time to install.

No ideas from anyone on what my 20 inch Sport wheels/tires are worth?

Well didn't last quite as long as I imagined. Traded the explored in recently on a new rig (needed more towing and off-road capability...) but great car that will truly be missed.

I have the Setina push bar and my two rigid led light bars sitting the garage looking all said now. Let me know if anyone is interested in them!

Well didn't last quite as long as I imagined. Traded the explored in recently on a new rig (needed more towing and off-road capability...) but great car that will truly be missed.

I have the Setina push bar and my two rigid led light bars sitting the garage looking all said now. Let me know if anyone is interested in them!

What did you trade it in on?

Back