List of Useful Threads - Hood Paint bubble issue only | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

List of Useful Threads Hood Paint bubble issue only

Stevesmith, I would run away from that vehicle as fast as you can. No body shop can make it back as good as factory fresh. If that dealer won't get you another one to your specs go to another dealer.

On another note... My dealer is wanting me to bring mine in and leave it with them so they can get pictures sent in to Ford for approval to send it over to their body shop.... Not happy with the body shop option. They should replace the hood... Any Ford service people on here that can help me with getting the hood replaced instead of repaired? This is looking like it will be my last ford product. The quality is just not there with the explorer.

It has been discussed that a repaint will only cause it to happen again. The hood is contaminated.. needs to be replaced and painted correctly in an appropriate environment.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blwnsmoke,

Thanks for the post. I have only been on the board a short time but it appears you have been around for a while and have a lot of ford knosledge. When I talked to general manager at dealership yesterday they stated they should have caught it as well but indicated that since it was already in inventory it took the ability to order again out of the picture. If they order it on priority 1 does that notify the plant that it is a remake so it is inspected closer? The original order priority was 22. I am worried that maybe there is a issue with this paint since it is a newer caribou color than the prior years. The General manager told me when the plant started shipping trucks in the color they got one that everytime you put a rag to it that there were swirl patterns and that the factory did sometime to color after that. I just don't wanna wait another month and end up in same situation. The dealer was already giving me a good deal on the car ($1250 under invoice) to match another located dealership before all this and it is a dealer I have bought from 4 times before so I am trying to balance my frustration with the situation and come to a resolution. However as you said I am having trouble stomaching the idea of buying an extensively repaired car. I just wish they would have said right off the bat that they would priority order another one. I would rather pay invoice and have it "brand new" then get the current deal I have with them. They also offered me many things like the protection plan for free but the issue still remains that it will be a repaired vehicle. I have an email into the sales zone manager who's information I located on internet to see what they have to say. The photos you posted make me even more concerned.

I'll PM you shortly.. on the road right now.

It has been discussed that a repaint will only cause it to happen again. The hood is contaminated.. needs to be replaced and painted correctly in an appropriate environment.

Spoke with another dealer who agreed to replace the hood! Will advise how that goes...

I just got a call from a Ford Regional Service Manager (Lisa) on case #8119700 and she said that my bubbling on the Explorer hood was due to weather related! So even if my Explorer was under 36,000 miles, Ford wouldn't honor under warranty. I did told her to read the forums but she said things like this happens! I am hoping the local dealership will have a different opinion and still go ahead and fix the hood bubbling paint issue or at least show a little more concern. I will update once I get more information.

I just got a call from a Ford Regional Service Manager (Lisa) on case #8119700 and she said that my bubbling on the Explorer hood was due to weather related! So even if my Explorer was under 36,000 miles, Ford wouldn't honor under warranty. I did told her to read the forums but she said things like this happens! I am hoping the local dealership will have a different opinion and still go ahead and fix the hood bubbling paint issue or at least show a little more concern. I will update once I get more information.

LOL, not laughing at you but at their response. I swear I'd love to see their face in person when they say this type of stuff (to see if they can even keep a straight face). "weather related"?? as in the sun and the rain that every car is exposed to??

Be interested to know how paint bubbles on a new 2016 sitting on the lot could be considered 'weather related'.

Peter

"Weather related" probably comes straight from the top in the form of Ford's chief legal counsel.

Instead of taking responsibility -- deny, deny deny due to the likelihood of a class action lawsuit coming out of this.

Isn't that special.

Ford Corporate is offering to pay 60%of the cost to replace my hood due to the corrosion issue. They are not sanding/repainting, which I am grateful for but still this will cost me over $800.00 to repair a manufacturing defect. I don't really have much choice, I guess. *Sigh*

Keep in mind that the warranty starts from the date of manufacturing on the vin#, so if your vehicle sits on the lot any length of time before purchase, the warranty clock is already ticking.

Keep in mind that the warranty starts from the date of manufacturing on the vin#, so if your vehicle sits on the lot any length of time before purchase, the warranty clock is already ticking.

Not sure of that. I've always understood the warranty starts on the "in service date". In other words when the vehicle is purchased/leased and put into service.

Warranty date starts from the day that the vehicle is sold to the original buyer.

Not according to my guy. They looked at my vin and said I was 2 months out of warranty. Aug. 17 2012. Have to check my purchase date and see what the differance would be. Cause if thats the case I might still be under warranty.

Not according to my guy. They looked at my vin and said I was 2 months out of warranty. Aug. 17 2012. Have to check my purchase date and see what the differance would be. Cause if thats the case I might still be under warranty.

Your guy is wrong!

Look in your warranty guide book that comes with the vehicle. Either you are mistaken on your purchase date or "your guy" is an idiot (assuming he is a Ford Dealer employee) lol.

Straight from the warranty book:

KNOW WHEN YOUR WARRANTY BEGINS
Your Warranty Start Date is the day you take delivery of your new vehicle or the day it is first put into service (for example, as a dealer demonstrator), whichever occurs first.

http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ranty-Guide-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_01_2014.pdf

As other have mentioned...your guy is wrong.

Ok just checked my purchase date which was 9/14/12 so I,m still 6 weeks out of warranty, which still screws me. :(

Well my visit to pick up my new explorer went about like the rest of special ordering a vehicle from ford, horrible!...
On another note... My dealer is wanting me to bring mine in and leave it with them so they can get pictures sent in to Ford for approval to send it over to their body shop...
stevesmith1328 and TinMan4154,

Let me get this escalated, if you haven’t already. Please PM your full name, VIN, mileage, dealer, and best daytime phone number. I’ll loop in a customer service manager for your region to assist! :)

Okay just got off the phone with the customer service rep for Florida and they proposed the 50/50...
Ford Corporate is offering to pay 60%of the cost to replace my hood due to the corrosion issue. They are not sanding/repainting, which I am grateful for but still this will cost me over $800.00...
Thanks for the update, Kfoss1 and juliehopson63.

I’ll be happy to document your product feedback. Please PM the same information I requested above, along with the details of your experience, and I’ll make sure it’s noted! :thumbsup:
2013 explorer sports here. 58,000 miles +/- bubbles!!!
I just got a call from a Ford Regional Service Manager (Lisa) on case #8119700 and she said that my bubbling on the Explorer hood was due to weather related!...
Hi guys,

I replied to your PM. Please check your inbox when you get a chance. :)

Keep in mind that the warranty starts from the date of manufacturing on the vin#...
Not sure of that. I've always understood the warranty starts on the "in service date"...
Warranty date starts from the day that the vehicle is sold to the original buyer.
Hey guys,

blwnsmoke is correct. The Warranty Start Date (also known as the in-service date) is the day you take delivery of your new vehicle or the day it is first put into service, whichever occurs first. As he stated, this is in the "Warranty Guide." It’s easy to access the guides online as well, just click here.

I'll be here if you need me, and have a great day! :D

Tricia

Not true, warranty starts when vehicle leaves a dealer lot.

Then your dealer is starting the warranty's early and telling Ford they were sold in order to increase allocations. Not a cool move from the dealer.

I PM you Ford Service.

Just so you are clear my paint damage is all over car except the lift gate. Learned today that the runny looking paint was the actual paint and not the clear coat. They are going to have to repaint the whole back right quarter panel, back right rear door and the whole hood. Then wet sand the 10 or so bubbles and clear coat it again. Thank God I didn't buy this vehicle, however someone with the worst vision couldn't miss this. I feel sorry for the customer that unknowing buys this vehicle later.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:

Asked my dealer to try and find me another one and told them to leave off the trailer option as we rarely use it and it appeared to be limiting our pool of choices. I looked on internet myself and found one close to the same options. Asked dealer to call and check the mileage and condition. Haven't heard from dealer for 2 days so I emailed them and told them to not worry about it as I was never coming back. Horrible customer service. All they tried to do to remedy the situation since Monday was asked me to take the damaged car when it got repaired and offered me some free add ons for the trouble.

Went to another dealership today and told them the whole story and they were great. I also contacted the Ford Sales Zone Manager who is awesome and working with my new dealership to try an do what he can on his with Ford to expedite a new car from the plant. From what I can tell Ford is trying to do the everything possible to make this right for me. Fingers crossed everything works out.

Back