• Register Today It's free!

How much damage could occur?

funfool

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport explorer
So the 98 sport sohc has had a real erratic idle on a cold start in the mornings.
Now it is getting colder it has got worse.
Did not have a check engine light before, now for the last week it is throwing the infamous p0171 - p0174 codes.
I suspect the intake gaskets, but it also runs great when it warms up.
If I do nothing at this time for a couple months, ... hypothetically .., would it cause much damage? I mean if it was the intake gaskets.

So the 98 sport sohc has had a real erratic idle on a cold start in the mornings.
Now it is getting colder it has got worse.
Did not have a check engine light before, now for the last week it is throwing the infamous p0171 - p0174 codes.
I suspect the intake gaskets, but it also runs great when it warms up.
If I do nothing at this time for a couple months, ... hypothetically .., would it cause much damage? I mean if it was the intake gaskets.

Our '97 Sport is doing the same thing, My '01 ST is currently apart for intake O-ring replacement and the 00M12 noise abetment kit install.

Rough idle when cold that clears up once warm is almost certainly intake gaskets/O-rings. Especially when accompanied with the P0171/174 lean codes. As long as the engine runs fine once warmed up you can wait to change the intake gaskets. It shouldn't hurt anything to wait a few months. I'd like to do the ones on my '97, but I've been to busy this fall. Maybe after the ST is back together.

Thanks koda, I have read a few of your threads and know how thorough you are.I certainly trust your opinion, :salute:

And keep up the good work :D

Back