Rear End Swap in '00 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rear End Swap in '00 Explorer

truckyea45

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Ford Explorer Limited
Hey Folks,
I have a 2000 Ford Explorer 4.0 V6 4WD Limited edition that I am trying to find a new rear end for (completely stock). I managed to break the old housing in half and was able to see the shaft inside. I did some homework and found that my current rear end has 4.10 ratio (D2 code on the driver side door panel) I went to the junk yard and found plenty of explorers sitting on the lot, but they all had anything from 3.73s to 3.55s open and limited slip. Will I have any issues bolting up a used rear end with a different gear ratio? Any issues with my transfer case and 4WD? I am looking at a 3.73 rear end off of another limited explorer and I was hoping to go pick it up today if it will work. The only problem is it has a V8 in it. Any advise?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The ratio makes no different to bolting in a replacement diff. I just did this on my '01 Sport Trac, though I found another 4:10. Pretty straight forward swap. If you're reusing you original brake calipers you don't even need to disconnect the brake lines or parking brake cables. Just unbolt them hang them out of your way.

BTW, The difference in the speedo reading going from a 4:10 to a 3:73 is insignificant.

Edit: If you're 4WD (which you are) the front and rear ratios must be the same. You can't have a 4:10 in the front and a 3:73 in the rear, as funfool is about to point out.

it wont work, you need matching gear ratio front and rear with 4x4 / awd

One gear would literally shred the other gear, if they do not match.
And the 4.10 is a nice ratio, would drive like a dog with the 3.73, keep looking for the right gear ratio.

it wont work, you need matching gear ratio front and rear with 4x4 / awd

One gear would literally shred the other gear, if they do not match.
And the 4.10 is a nice ratio, would drive like a dog with the 3.73, keep looking for the right gear ratio.

You're correct, I didn't consider that or notice it was 4WD.

Thanks Koda2000! I have heard people say keep the rear ratio the same as the front, but I am assuming that is for vehicles with solid front axles?

Thanks Koda2000! I have heard people say keep the rear ratio the same as the front, but I am assuming that is for vehicles with solid front axles?

I've edited my original response. The front and rear ratios must be the same. I didn't notice you were 4WD. My bad.

Thanks for the advise guys. Any thoughts on limited slip vs open? A couple rear ends I found came with 4.10s but they were open. I am not towing anything and looking for fuel econ more than anything.

In a hypothetical situation, lets pretend :D

Lets say you have a parts explorer parked around back, your rear end goes bad and your parts truck has different gears.

You could just swap the rear ends, and then remove your front drive line.
Have your truck back on the road in a couple hours, while you look for correct rear end.
I hear removing the front drive line is bad on the transfer case in awd vehicles.
I am not saying it is a good idea.

Just saying in a emergency and the rear end is free, it would bolt up and work, just can not use 4x4 or even have the front drive line installed

Limited slip is better if you can find one, but a used limited slip's clutches are likely worn out and it's now behaving as an open diff (unless you replace the clutches). I don't off-road and don't drive in the snow, so it makes no difference to me.

Good point funfool, but I hate to lose my 4x4 because I deal with a lot of snow. Any other vehicles I can look at with the same rear end? Can I pull an 8.8 rear end out of a ranger or mustang and bolt it up to my explorer as long as it has 4.10s? I don't want to deal with changing out rear gears.

Good point funfool, but I hate to lose my 4x4 because I deal with a lot of snow. Any other vehicles I can look at with the same rear end? Can I pull an 8.8 rear end out of a ranger or mustang and bolt it up to my explorer as long as it has 4.10s? I don't want to deal with changing out rear gears.

The ranger diff has 28 spline axles where the Explorer's use 31 spline axles, which are stronger. Any Explorer 4:10 (LSD or non-LSD '95-'01) would be a direct bolt-in.

Thanks for all of your help guys. I will let you know how it goes

The ranger diff has 28 spline axles where the Explorer's use 32 spline axles, which are stronger. Any Explorer 4:10 (LSD or non-LSD '95-'01) would be a direct bolt-in.

They're 31 spline unless I've missed something over the years.

OP if you do a lot of snow driving you're going to want to stick with the LSD or your 4x4 won't function as well as it could.

If you're after fuel mileage and you're in a bind and found 3.73 LSD axles, you could swap both front and rear axles and ditch the 4.10's all together. The 3.73's will probably net you better fuel mileage assuming you're running stock size tires. If you have bigger tires and or do a lot of heavy towing I'd stick with the 4.10's. If this is just a daily driver used as a commuter vehicle 3.73's are just fine.

They're 31 spline unless I've missed something over the years.

OP if you do a lot of snow driving you're going to want to stick with the LSD or your 4x4 won't function as well as it could.

If you're after fuel mileage and you're in a bind and found 3.73 LSD axles, you could swap both front and rear axles and ditch the 4.10's all together. The 3.73's will probably net you better fuel mileage assuming you're running stock size tires. If you have bigger tires and or do a lot of heavy towing I'd stick with the 4.10's. If this is just a daily driver used as a commuter vehicle 3.73's are just fine.

Typo - Yes 31 spline.

Back