Side Mirror Courtesy Lights

Bill #5 Explorer

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
On a 2016 XLT, does anyone know how to access the light bulb in the courtesy lights under the side mirrors? It's the little round plastic cover, about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin. I want to change mine, if possible, to an LED bulb. I'm on an LED light bulb kick!:) I like the cleaner, whiter light, against my tri-coat white paint. Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On a 2016 XLT, does anyone know how to access the light bulb in the courtesy lights under the side mirrors? It's the little round plastic cover, about the size of a 1/2 dollar coin. I want to change mine, if possible, to an LED bulb. I'm on an LED light bulb kick!:) I like the cleaner, whiter light, against my tri-coat white paint. Thank you.
Those are 'puddle lights' Bill. There is a post in a thread here somewhere. I think a dremel tool may have been involved. I'll see if I can find it.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3205410&postcount=191

Peter

They are sealed. You have to cut them open to change them.

Check with Dan at daytimebrightlights.com if he has them for the 16's yet.

Sealed?? That's crazy. Same issue with the license plate lights?

Thanks guys.

Check with Dan at daytimebrightlights.com if he has them for the 16's yet.

They do, I did the switch in mine.

Bill #5 Explorer: If you buy the puddle lights from them, they even give you the LED's for the license plate for free.
And no, the license plate ones are plug and play. So are the puddle lights, if you buy from Dan, since they send the whole lamp with lens.

good to know I was about to get into this mod myself.

I thought for sure you could pop that exterior cap off and trade the bulb element. Though with my big fingers I was going to use pliers.

They do, I did the switch in mine.

Bill #5 Explorer: If you buy the puddle lights from them, they even give you the LED's for the license plate for free.
And no, the license plate ones are plug and play. So are the puddle lights, if you buy from Dan, since they send the whole lamp with lens.

Britta-S, can you post some details how to do this "cutting"? Thanks!:)

I ordered the puddle lights this morning. Thanks everyone.

Zero cutting, enjoy!

Britta-S, can you post some details how to do this "cutting"? Thanks!:)

As the others said, and I saw you already ordered: No cutting, just plug and play and be a lot happier with bright, good looking puddle and license plate lights :)
The only negative I also reported to Dan is that the plastic hinge to secure the light assembly is clear and not black like the stock ones. This creates a shine out the gap between mirror glass and mirror housing (depending on the setting of your mirror). But a black sharpie solved that "problem" (if you want to call it that).
Just be sure, if you want to do it, "paint" it before installing. The lights sit very snug and getting them back out is a PITA.

paint pen - check

I'm planning on the same mod. figure I'll get enough water in there and whatever when washing the car - I might use something a bit stronger than sharpie.

meh - prolly overkill.

thanks for the input and thread.

paint pen - check

I'm planning on the same mod. figure I'll get enough water in there and whatever when washing the car - I might use something a bit stronger than sharpie.

meh - prolly overkill.

thanks for the input and thread.

The sharpie held up pretty well in the 3 months it's on there now, including rain/washing.
But maybe, if you want to be safe and have time to prepare (I only found this negative when installing them, so needed a quick solution), go with something more durable and you definitely won't regret it :)

Britta, I got to thinking, do the brighter license plate LED lights help with backing up at night? Thanks.

Day Time Bright Lites

I have to agree with the above posts and offer another thumbs up for Day Time Bright Lites!!

I tried good LED's first and they were better, brighter, whiter, but no where near as good as the ones from DTBL!! Their puddle lights simply do an outstanding job and yes, they do through in two nice LED's for the license plate.

I then went back and purchased the LED trunk light replacement, which is the equivalent of one of these puddle lights but for your interior trunk area. Incredible!!! Night and Day difference.

I've done a lot of LED work and I have to say their quality and workmanship is superior to anything I have seen for the Ex.

Led Bulb is far Much Better

Honestly speaking I don't know how to change it but I can say one thing for sure. LED bulb is far much better than other. If you are facing nay issue related to the replacement glass, there are many options you have for it. you can either go for a new one or just get just mirror from some store.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Britta, I got to thinking, do the brighter license plate LED lights help with backing up at night? Thanks.

Sorry for the late answer Bill.
Actually, I can't really tell you. One thing: It definitely didn't get worse :) I did the upgrade pretty soon after buying the Ex (4 months now), thus I don't really remember. But, when installing them you will see that, since they're directed to the license plate, more light goes downward to the license plate than it does illuminating the ground behind the vehicle.
I can't give you a definite answer other than: Probably yes, but not enough to mention :)

Back