Removed step sides, have a few questions now. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Removed step sides, have a few questions now.

Grabber12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
Ok so I removed the step sides on my 97 explore and once I pulled them completely off I noticed holes where the moldings clipped in. Did explorers without step sides have some sort of moldings to cover the bottom door seals or am I going to have to seal every hole and paint?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I noticed on a few pictures that some non step side explorers have a molding so my real question is will I be able to get moldings from the junk yard and snap them in?

Let me know what they charge you because i want to take my running boards off but dont want to just leave the open holes there.

Do you have any pics of what it looks like with the steps off?

20151029_144351.jpg

20151029_144400.jpg

I was thinking maybe filling the holes with seam sealer that comes in a caulking tube sanding it down then Rhino lining from the grey molding on my door down. Removing the step sides gave me over 2 inches of added Clarence. From bottom of the step side to the ground was 12 7/88, with the stepside removed its 15 1/4 now.

I noticed on a few pictures that some non step side explorers have a molding so my real question is will I be able to get moldings from the junk yard and snap them in?

Mine had the same holes when I removed them, I just left em. Not even noticeable on my X

The holes kind of bother me and I noticed when I'm on the freeway it makes a whistling noise. I went to the junkyard and found an explorer that was not a step side and took the side skirts off of it. I'm going to sand them down real good and Rhino line them and put them on my explorer. When I get done I'll be sure to post some pictures.

How much did they charge your for the pieces?

18 dollars from ecology auto in California.

Wow that is cheap. I need to go by the old pick and pull to see if any of their explorers have those pieces.

last question

What all did it take to get them off?

The step sides basically just unbolt from an L bracket on the bottom and then you just pry them off and there's some little clips holding everything else on. When you take the sideskirts off of your donor Explorer it's only going to be held on by 2 Phillips screws on each end inside the wheel well then the rest just pulls off with clips. Make sure you keep as many clips as you can off of your Explorer and the one you're pulling the side skirt off of because you will need them. I got mine on and it looks good I will send some pictures soon.

Here is the finished product.
20151102_132032.jpg

20151102_132046.jpg

That is exactly what I want to do with mine. I dont want the running boards.

I have an all white explorer and my running boards are grey. I think they were a dealer add on. Anyways thanks for all the info. I am going to start this project really soon.

When I took the skirts off my white 94 about 15 years ago, I was left with 19 holes down each side. I bought a roll of 2" wide, white non-skid step tape. I taped it down the entire side and its still there. Hardly noticeable, and looks like white bed liner.
Recent Picture that Rick took;
rick10.jpg

[MENTION=3817]BKennedy[/MENTION] where did you get this tape at?

BKennedy that's a clean explore. I wish the 2nd gens had that sold front axel.

First Gen's don't have it either, its an add on...:)

I got the tape at either Dixieline of Home Depot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can put a solid front axel in my explorer? Never seen that before. What are guys pulling it out of?

Back