2016 Sport misfire issues after mods installed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2016 Sport misfire issues after mods installed

16Sport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Southern Maine
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Hello everyone!
Recently purchased a new 16 Sport. Put a couple thousand miles on it and began mods over several weeks with goals of running very low 13s!

First ordered the Livernois intake kit and 93 Tune with zero issues

Then installed the Livernois race downpipes, Corsa Exhaust, 3 bar map, evenflow 160 stat and re-gapped my plugs to 030.

At that time I reflashed my ecm with the new 3 bar 93 tune provided by Livernois. Drove to the track and could only best a 13.5 @ 101 with a 1.9 60 foot. Seemed slightly off since better times have been achieved and I'm an experienced bracket racer just above sea level.

Few days later I got on the turnpike and floored it to feel excessive misfires and black smoke coming from the exhaust. The misfires are occasional at lower rpm and speed, but are consistent in one gear between 65-95mph under a full throttle downshift and pull. Anytime within that speed range it will run very rough and have a huge loss of power at full throttle. I tried switching to the 91 3 bar tune with the same results. What is weird is that at no time has this set a code of any kind. The amount of black smoke is excessive enough to keep my exhaust tips coated thick and speckles of black all over the rear window hatch and license plate after every ride.

Spoke to Livernois a couple weeks ago and they said it was very easy to damage the plugs during a re-gap. So I took their advice and bought a new set of OEM plugs and carefully re-gapped them again with my Snap on gapping tool...still experienced the exact same results at the same speeds.

Spoke to Livernois again last Thursday and their tech said he was 110% sure it was still the plugs. So I had a set of their professionally gapped plugs overnighted so I could hit the track on closing night last Friday. But after another careful installation I still suffer the same misfire and black smoke between 65-95 mph under full throttle. Ive been over every inch of the engine making sure everything is plugged in and looks good. Ive also had a dozen tanks of gas through the tank at different stations over the past weeks to eliminate bad fuel as a possibility.

Livernois is a top ranked Tuner and Jamie over there has been great about getting right back to me with any questions. I'm sure its just something simple. But after almost a month of guesswork I wanted to see if anyone had ideas or has seen the same issues. I just installed H&R lowering springs and have plans for an Alky Meth kit and stickier tires.....But rule of thumb is fix any existing issues before adding more mods! Any ideas on my issue would be very much appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you pulled the plugs out can you tell which cylinder is misfiring? You'll probably have to pull them right after it misfires. If you could pin it to one cylinder or all of them, that's a start.

If you swap back the old map sensor and put the stock tune back on, does it still misfire?

Are you still on the 91 tune?
Have you tried the plugs again, but without gapping?

I was thinking the same thing as jays05 regarding old MAP and tune(or stock).

I have not tried the stock tune as it will require swapping the down pipes back to stock. But plan on changing the map sensor to eliminate that as an option. All the plugs removed thus far have looked identical and shown no variance.

depending on the tuner you used to transfer the tune file to the vehicle.

I know SCT has a datalogger program you can use and record whats going on. If your tuner uses SCT, they can view the datalogs and maybe help you out instead of just throwing parts at the car.

Maybe the .030" gap is your problem. Did you try gapping them tighter? I have been using .025" for a very long time.

I think the only right way to gap iridium plugs is with feeler gauges. Don't use a gap tool. I also use a magnifying glass to make sure I didn't damage the center electrode.

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in and heres where I'm at so far....

I have not tried to not gap the plugs or gap them tighter. Livernois was specific where to gap them with their tune.

Its not a SCT tuner so no data logging is available that I can see.

I have noticed a misfire at lower speeds as well today while driving around and some related black smoke out the exhaust. Even a couple times in 2nd gear

Desperate for answers I did swap out the 3 bar map for the OEM one this afternoon and re-downloaded the 91 and 93 1 bar map tunes. Still have the same misfires so the map sensor is not the issue.

Between having 2 sets of plugs gapped, paying for a set locally installed and overnighting a set from Livernois I'm out over $400 in plugs alone. Buying another set feels redundant at this point.

Since mine is one of the only 16 Sports to be fully modified its hard to compare to other vehicles as the prior years run a different tune.

I'm starting to wonder if the tune Is too rich or if its possible I have a failing coil with only 5K miles? Hmmmmm......

Still no DTC's so diagnostics are going slow

How about bringing it into a tuner. Maybe they could diagnose quickly.

Im in Southern Maine so no tuners near by. I was hoping to continue working with Livernois as all the parts installed thus far have been purchased through them. if they were closer id drive to their shop for diagnostics

Thanks to everyone who has chimed in and heres where I'm at so far....

I have not tried to not gap the plugs or gap them tighter. Livernois was specific where to gap them with their tune.

Its not a SCT tuner so no data logging is available that I can see.

I have noticed a misfire at lower speeds as well today while driving around and some related black smoke out the exhaust. Even a couple times in 2nd gear

Desperate for answers I did swap out the 3 bar map for the OEM one this afternoon and re-downloaded the 91 and 93 1 bar map tunes. Still have the same misfires so the map sensor is not the issue.

Between having 2 sets of plugs gapped, paying for a set locally installed and overnighting a set from Livernois I'm out over $400 in plugs alone. Buying another set feels redundant at this point.

Since mine is one of the only 16 Sports to be fully modified its hard to compare to other vehicles as the prior years run a different tune.

I'm starting to wonder if the tune Is too rich or if its possible I have a failing coil with only 5K miles? Hmmmmm......

Still no DTC's so diagnostics are going slow

Likely not a coil, unless the 3.5 EB does not display rough idling and engine vibrations as a result of a failed coil.
At any case, it's a free diagnosis to pull one coil at a time and see what happens.

The tune I have been running from LMS for years is a little on the rich(safe) side. When outside temps are above 95 degrees, mine does a similar version of what you describe, just not as extreme. Guys on the EP Forum(yes, the SHO guys;)) suggested 3 gallons of E85 in a tankful to raise octane(so they could run more boost, I think the highest I've seen with my tune is 13-14) I can tell you that my E Sport LOVES the E85 mixed in. I think it leans it out just enough to make my tune closer to perfect. Give the E85 tank a try(careful, just 3 gallons!) and see if the stuimble improves.

Ive checked around and being in Southern Maine there are no E85 dealers locally. Have not checked the PCV but will inspect it tomorrow.
Problem has seemed to get worse where it will happen at other speeds during a full throttle downshift. I'm starting to think its not ignition but maybe something else. Its getting colder here so that may change the conditions or when the problems happen. I did just start to get 2 codes which are catalyst below threshold so Livernois is going to send me new tunes taking the rear O2s out of the loop. But they admit this will likely not solve my issue. I did try running the stock tune also and the power loss seemed to lessen with the boost levels back to stock. Ive had it suggested that the issue could be anything from a broken valve spring to leaking boost line. Its hard to diagnose an issue when your vehicle appears to be the only one with this particular problem!

I ran out of ideas and parked the Explorer. The misfire could be a boost issue or something else but with no DTCs its tough to say. Started to see issues at slower speeds and the engine would make noise when it happened. Livernois has run out of ideas and there are no performance shops in my area. Im thinking about trying a tune with a different company to see if the problem lies there. The symptoms feel like im running way too rich at times and im afraid all the noises and smoke could lead to damage. Its definately been discouraging.

As much as it sucks, I would return it all to stock, then if there is still a miss, take it to the dealer.

If no miss, add parts 1 at a time and verify each addition functions without issues. I'd do the exhaust last, after all else is running good.

I agree w/ BlackJac. What happens if you order a new tune and ir doesnt fix the issue? Then you are out the additional tune plus you still have the misfire. Not the ideal process, but likely the best to solve the problem.

As much as it sucks, I would return it all to stock, then if there is still a miss, take it to the dealer. If no miss, add parts 1 at a time and verify each addition functions without issues. I'd do the exhaust last, after all else is running good.

Best advice yet. Parking a brand new vehicle? I don't think so.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I swapped out the pcv this morning which did not help. But at least thats one more idea off the table. Tonight i let my mechanic and long time friend take it home to test and view live data on his Snap On Modus scan tool. He plans to watch each cylinder individually, see 02 sensor readouts and basically go over everything. If he cant resolve the issue ill either put it back to stock and have a fire sale on the performance parts, or park it for the winter and trailer it across country to Livernois in the spring and pay them to figure out the problem. I own several vehicles including tuned cars so if its tucked away for 5 months over the winter Ill still have plenty of transportation. I dont mind spending money for performance as long as im happy with the end results. Trying to stay positive that my buddy identifies the issue tomorrow!
In the meantime id like to thank everyone who has chimed in with suggestions and ideas. Its all very much appreciated!

Back