PCM Differences - UMP1 vs VET1 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PCM Differences - UMP1 vs VET1

arco777

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer 2dr 4x4
Anyone knowledgeable about what may have changed between strategy codes UMP1 and VET1? From what I've read they are interchangeable on 1994 non-Cali models. There's got to be a reason for the different calibrations.

I have one of each, have run the UMP1 for years and recently acquired a VET1.

Alternately, does anyone on this forum tune with Moates or TwEECer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford has records only back to 96'

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vd...ageid=calibration_pub&gutsid=calibration_menu

More info but still doesn't say specifically what was changed about the fuel injection parameters. If any.

http://www.cb4x4.com/PDFs/Engine - EFI - EEC Program Codes.pdf

At first I though it would be for batch or sequential fire, but I couldn't say at this point.

That being said it IS an emissions calibration code! It may have been done simply because some states testing stations could not read the PCM correctly without a patch. (this is the most likely scenario in my opinion)

You remember those days? the tech would be dig'n around to find the right connector!, and then fail you because his computer failed to connect! Nowadays for OBD-I they don't even connect to it, if the check engine light goes out after start they assume all's well.

From what I can gather it is just a firmware update. Probably to correct a glitch rather than a tuning change. In which case yours has probably been done when it was near new. If so a "tear tag" may have been placed somewhere on the truck, passenger toe kick, PCM itself, door jam, near the brake booster, yata yata... .Of course it would be IF the dealer had the mechanic apply the update sticker in the first place.

I do know that some of these were simply to add more code definitions to the code table and made no other changes to the programming and were simply done before the vehicle was sold via the test port.

This doesn't provide much comfort does it? Only to get worse with time. I bought a PCM a year ago, just in case. The one I got was an Identical part and tune code however. Test ran it and put it back in the static bag for that fatal day... ..

Now that I blew the trans I'm thinking when I finally cook the motor it's 5.0 and OBD-II time. May even do it now. Sell the 4.0 and all the OBD-I stuff to help with the cost.

Oh yea. My 94' has the UMP1 as well.

I will be interested to see if you have any noticeable change in performance, pre-detonation, better emissions test results, better fuel econ, etc.

Please do let us know.

FR-425, I think you're my favorite forum member.

Great info. I don't think it is batch vs sequential, as I believe 93/94 were sequential as well as gaining EGR and a cam position sensor. But all the other stuff makes sense.

I'll probably put it in when I get time to see if I notice any differences. It'd be neat if the difference was something noticeable. I'll have to see if it affects my mystery engine "skip" that happens while waiting at red lights.

Your second link, is that a backup of the FordFuelInjection/OldFuelInjection site? I've been looking for such a thing, was sad to see it disappear.

I will say that I believe VET1 is later. The Navajo it came out of was a late 94 production model (Sep/Oct 94) with the aerodynamic mirrors and rear interior panel having a plug where a 2nd Gen has a switch.

Yes I believe so. To bad that page doesn't have the years listed! major oversight.

I agree that VET1 is the later if not the latest update. This is why I'm interested to here your results. I may sell the UMP1 and get the VET1 if it shows improvement in the EGR reliability.

Production date on mine is Sept. 94' and has the UMP1 so who knows?

FWIW, this one was throwing codes for EGR position sensor issues and had the CEL physically removed. Could have been related to the 21 year old DPFE sensor though. I haven't had EGR issues, have you? The plastic DPFE seems to hold up better than the original syle.

Yep, about every two months I replace the DPFE. (EGR 151 it's the plastic one)

Down here they are kill'n me with Ethanol. It produces tone of water in the exhaust and keeps kill'n the thing.

If I go on a long highway run it dies after about 140 miles. Always have three on the truck at all times. Sucks!

I need to do the late model conversion! supposed to deal with the Ethanol/water prob. Just haven't been able to take the truck out of service till now. It was my only truck.

Had to slap down money on a second truck. (04 Colorado) shhhh don't tell.. . :)

That's weird, I wonder if there is a workaround. Something like a vapor trap added to the DPFE hoses. I wonder if an air/oil separator could be made to work or a water trap from an air compressor. I haven't had to replace my DPFE in about 4 years and 10% ethanol is all I can get.

I seem to be one of the few with this issue, that is repeated issue so frequently. A lot of it is just quality of the part. Some last 6 months other weeks.

My boss is a hydraulic engineer and we could not get a separator in there in such away as to not throw off the pressure. (good idea though)

The solution is the later model DPFE that is Ethanol tolerant. I just haven done it yet.

Orielleys sells the thing as a kit with the late model pigtail. It's just a mater of cutting the old connector off and splicing in the new one. The color code is different so it's a bit fiddly. (simple though it's just power, ground and output)

There is a good write-up on it on the forum. I shall be referring to that for the late model wire colors.

Here's the kit:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...327_2713&keyword=egr+pressure+feedback+sensor

Gets rid of the EGR151 and replaces it with the "improved" EGR155. Those are the BWD part no's. The motorcraft part no is DPFE5

It is a "modification kit" made by Ford. hmmmmmm

I'll bet there is a TSB on this but it has just been to many years now for it to be searchable.

Note: Some 94's did have the newer DPFE. It comes up in a parts search, then you have to choose based on the plug type you have. Maybe yours already has it.

The old one is "D" shaped. The new is oval.

FR-425, I think you're my favorite forum member.

Great info. I don't think it is batch vs sequential, as I believe 93/94 were sequential as well as gaining EGR and a cam position sensor. But all the other stuff makes sense.

I'll probably put it in when I get time to see if I notice any differences. It'd be neat if the difference was something noticeable. I'll have to see if it affects my mystery engine "skip" that happens while waiting at red lights.

Thanks man! That's high praise. I to have benefited from your input! cheers. :)

Here's the kit:
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/d...327_2713&keyword=egr+pressure+feedback+sensor

Gets rid of the EGR151 and replaces it with the "improved" EGR155. Those are the BWD part no's. The motorcraft part no is DPFE5

It is a "modification kit" made by Ford. hmmmmmm

I'll bet there is a TSB on this but it has just been to many years now for it to be searchable.

Note: Some 94's did have the newer DPFE. It comes up in a parts search, then you have to choose based on the plug type you have. Maybe yours already has it.

The old one is "D" shaped. The new is oval.

That's interesting! My 94 had the pot metal older style. I actually installed the style you linked back in 2008 when I had the factory one fail. Now that I remember, I got it from a Mazda/Ford dealer. It was a retrofit with updated pigtail just like that. It has been working fine since 2008.

Ahhhh memory refresh!

Cool I'll be get'n that on there stat. As soon as I get a 700r4 trans conversion done!

Just can't see put'n the A4LD back in this. Even a hot rod built one. Toooo much money.

I had started a build with PATC for one of their supper-dupper A4LD's but canceled the order. Just could not justify $3,200

Ahhhh memory refresh!

Cool I'll be get'n that on there stat. As soon as I get a 700r4 trans conversion done!

Just can't see put'n the A4LD back in this. Even a hot rod built one. Toooo much money.

I had started a build with PATC for one of their supper-dupper A4LD's but canceled the order. Just could not justify $3,200

I follow your logic. Waiting on my factory trans to fail at 194k miles and counting... I have done some upgrades to it and it shifts great, but some day it is bound to fail. I considered a 700R4 but can't stand the thought of GM products in my Ford. Also I really like the way my A4LD shifts. I'll be going with a PATC trans when the day comes. Price they have listed is $2265 at the moment.

Yea I was going for the custom gear ratio stage 3 jobby. figured if I was going that route I wanted the lowest possible first gear and a reduction on 2, 3 and overdrive + the bang-bang TC etc.

I seem to be one of the few with this issue, that is repeated issue so frequently. A lot of it is just quality of the part. Some last 6 months other weeks.

My boss is a hydraulic engineer and we could not get a separator in there in such away as to not throw off the pressure. (good idea though)

The solution is the later model DPFE that is Ethanol tolerant. I just haven done it yet.

Orielleys sells the thing as a kit with the late model pigtail. It's just a mater of cutting the old connector off and splicing in the new one. The color code is different so it's a bit fiddly. (simple though it's just power, ground and output)

There is a good write-up on it on the forum. I shall be referring to that for the late model wire colors.

Got a link to that Write-up? I'm having the same issue as you and haven't come across that write up in my searches.

I can't find it either! it was in a registry or project thread so searching is pointless.

However! No worries, the kit comes with instructions and are DUH rated.

The new pigtail has all white wires! So it's just a pin position match, pin 1 to pin 1 etc.

You chose which pin you want to call pin one and proceed 1-2-3 done.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I switched to VET1 and have run it for several weeks now. Haven't noticed any difference, honestly.

Back