• Register Today It's free!

Need advice on new Sport Purchase

JUCD VPR

Reaction score
City, State
Belleville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
16' Explorer Sport
My wife and I are sadly getting rid of our 09 Dodge Challenger SRT8 to buy an SUV for our 11 month old son. Putting the car seat in an out of the back of a Challenger is pretty annoying for her to say the least!

So we thought we'd buy used SUV, a 2013 Explorer Sport but they want $35,500 for a 29,800 miles on it.

So I got to thinking, if I am buying an extended warranty anyway thats another few grand... what is the differences between the years?

So we are pricing out 2015 and 2016's now a options, we can afford it just not sure I want to drop this much on an SUV and fear i'll be disappointed, I'm a car guy, have a 99 Viper in the garage etc and it was;t even this expensive when I bought it used.

Any advice on this purchase, is it worth it? We are back and forth between the Jeep Cherokee Limited also looking at a 2013 Limited with 18,000 miles for $34,000, but the sport seems faster and looks great, plus 3rd row seating would hold us over for some years even with an additional baby down the road. Ahh need some advice/help. What do you all think as owners?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think you'll like a Sport as a daily driver. I have a couple pretty fast cars too and it won't come close to those performance wise, but it is suprisingly quick and fun to drive, especially as a daily driver. We took it on a 3,000 mile road trip last year and were very impressed with it. I don't know about a good price for a used one but if it's nice and the price is in the ballpark of what you want to pay... go for it.

You have a Viper in the garage and intend to drive your young child around in the SUV?

I'd go for the Limited with more lux features and drive slowly and safely with my kid in the Ex.

Want to open it up? Just jump in the Viper by yourself.

Haha I won't be driving fast with my child in the car, but I drive alone sometimes. I like quick acceleration to drive away from the idiots. I drive safe so not to worry. Will be taking it on road trips as well.

Is the engine the only difference of the Sport and limited, doesn't the sport have the same lux as the Limited?

Considering our new 2016 Sport, I dont see how you could be disappointed.

You seem to be happy with Dodge vehicles. I would say stay with what you know. You should test drive both the Jeep and the Sport and only then make a decision on what you prefer. Be cautious of the quality of the explorer. If you so choose take a good long while looking everything over on it, especially the paint on and under the hood.

I'm coming from a 2011 and 2015 RX350 (can't get anymore luxurious that compared to a Ford product), but the Sport or Platinum offers enough to make "concessions'.
I too chose the sport for the 3rd row and 365hp and something else similar (with a 3rd row) would be a $100k GL550!

No one is buying a Explorer Sport to compare it against a sports car...but to compare it with other large SUVs; you can't find anything at this price range.

A sprinkling of dealers will let you keep a vehicle overnight to see how you really like it..Hopefully you can find one.

We have a 2011 xlt v6 and a 2016 sport. Definitely go with the sport!

Cool thanks for the feedback, we are going to test drive both the Explorer Sport new and used as well as the Jeep Cherokee Limited.

Any great Ford sales going on? nothing attractive in the St. Louis area that I can find. Dodge has all sorts of deals, Ford has $250 off lol. Horrible financing, we'll just go with the local credit union if it comes to that.

Cool thanks for the feedback, we are going to test drive both the Explorer Sport new and used as well as the Jeep Cherokee Limited.

Any great Ford sales going on? nothing attractive in the St. Louis area that I can find. Dodge has all sorts of deals, Ford has $250 off lol. Horrible financing, we'll just go with the local credit union if it comes to that.

Ford is running the friends and family promo in the US, which supposedly works out to $750 over invoice price.

Jeep hasent released the 16 yet is why your finding good deals on it. You can get great financing options right now on a 15 explorer but not the 16... I could have got 0% on a 2015 but the lowest I could get on my 16 was 2.9% and I have perfect credit.

Jeep hasent released the 16 yet is why your finding good deals on it. You can get great financing options right now on a 15 explorer but not the 16... I could have got 0% on a 2015 but the lowest I could get on my 16 was 2.9% and I have perfect credit.

What is the difference between the 15 and 16 Sport?

I almost bought a Grand Cherokee SRT but it only has 2 rows of seats. The Explorer Sport, comparably equipped has 3 rows and is 18k less expensive. Not as quick as the Grand Cherokee SRT but I have other toys to play with. I think the Explorer Sport, for the money is a bargain. We have 21k miles on ours with no issues at all.

What did you all pay for your 16' Sport?

I almost bought a Grand Cherokee SRT but it only has 2 rows of seats. The Explorer Sport, comparably equipped has 3 rows and is 18k less expensive. Not as quick as the Grand Cherokee SRT but I have other toys to play with. I think the Explorer Sport, for the money is a bargain. We have 21k miles on ours with no issues at all.

Do you have the 15 or 16?

Do you have the 15 or 16?

Ours is a '14. I bought my wife a '16 Escape and after doing research, I found that the '16 has a vastly simplified MyFord Touch system. 15's and earlier are sometimes frustrating to non tech savvy people (although we never had a problem figuring it out) so the '16 has been improved. I'm a GM guy and after owning our Sport for 18 months, we did not hesitate one second in buying a second Ford.

The 2016 Sport is luxurious, spacious, sharp looking and when you step on the gas and those twin turbos kick in it feels like a 8cyl.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think we have decided to buy new, local dealership doesn;t have it here yet, says net week they arrive...Black on Black 2016

Back