• Register Today It's free!

4.0 sohc no start

funfool

Reaction score
City, State
Albuquerque New Mexico
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 sport explorer
Be gentle with me, am looking for a good thread to follow.
I am 50+ years old and never owned a computer controlled car before.Time to learn.

It has had a rough idle when first started, but when warm it runs great.
Couple weeks ago it triggered the cel, and it has the p0171 & p0174 codes.
Wife drove it to a appointment Friday and it ran just fine like normal, comes out 45 mins later and it wont start.
We had it towed home.
The tow truck driver said it was the fuel pump, with the sport on the flat bed tow truck, ears are pretty close to the fuel tank and he turned the key on and it made no noise.
I am 1/2 deaf anyway and just take his word for it.

So I know the fuel pump is not making noise when turn the key and a place to start.

Can I use a tire pressure gage on the fuel rail? I do not own a fuel gage.
Any tricks here you can share?

If I turn the key on, can I check for juice at the fuel pump? Or will it only get juice for a few seconds if not running.

I also rechecked for codes and is only the same 0171, 0174 stored. Would a fuel pump throw a code?

Going out now to check fuses, and try some starting fluid, but if anyone has a good link or some advice, would be helpful.
In the past I had one car with the electric fuel pump, when it went out we had warning.
It lost power and would not get to full speed etc...
The explorer has awesome power and no warning, so hesitant it is fuel pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the fuel pump inertia switch. It's behind the trim on the passenger side kick panel, it's possible it may have been tripped and shut off the fuel pump.

I will check the ineria switch thanks.
I just sprayed ether into the maf and it start and run for a few seconds.

inertia switch is not tripped .

swapped the fuel pump relay with the pcm and makes no difference so the relay is good.

following this link here
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2385057
need to do steps 6,7,8 but I think this is looking like a bad fuel pump?

any links to a decent pump to replace it with?
Any other ideas to try before changing the pump?

How about cutting a access hole through the floor?
Would be awesome if I could do that and be able to get to the pump without dropping the tank.
Of course the wife just filled it while out doing her running around.
And I already cut the top off on it. Would not hurt the value of the truck any more by making a hole/trap door in the floor. Just wonder if anyone has tried and found a obstacle in the way stopping success.
2w20a44.jpg

Fuel pump access

Sounds like you have a fuel pump failure. You can get to the pump by lowering the fuel tank, or by cutting an access in your floorboard. The access panel would not lower any vehicles value, as it is completely covered by interior carpet and hidden by the fuel tank.

There are several excellent threads on the Forum about fuel pump access panels. These contain photos and information. Use the "search" function on the Forum to locate the articles.

I have cut an access panel, because after 415,000 miles, I have had two fuel pump failures on the interstate where I lacked equipment to drop the fuel tank. Next time the fuel pump fails, I will have the access panel. Overall, though, I would agree that it would be easier to drop the fuel tank if you were on your garage.

Good luck with your project, however you chose to proceed.

Mr. Alligator.

well I am in a old farts rv park, we are not allowed to work on our vehicles.
Same time if I find the location to cut out, and I was just messing around in the back of my truck, would be better then dropping the tank and sloshing gas around and pissing off the owners for working on my truck in the park.

Yeah thanks for the vote on the failed fuel pump. I also think that is what it is.
But a little confirmation from other members will help.
even if ya all told me lies that it was the pump, I would feel better while shelling out the cash and replacing it. :D

And just to add, I know it is really easy to say ... "do a search"
Yes I know the info is here, this site has been around for years and every issue has been covered 100 times.

To google the problem may actually be faster then trying to sift through all the info here.
I made a post about stickies.
I believe they should be a how to and cover the issue the author is writing about, and the thread should be closed. Meaning others not replying to it.
A simple sticky about the p0171 & p0174 codes is so incredibly long, is faster to go off site to find the info then searching through all the pages.

So I do not think it is wrong to ask others for a link to the threads they like to use.

Chop top

I think I saw your post where you had vehicle damage (tree?) that you were going to resolve with the chop top...

How do you like your "chop-top" truck? Advantages? Disadvantages? Does it work out? Anything else needed, like soft top cover?

Actually it works pretty good. Looking at the photo above, I think it is a bit of a safety hazard for rear passengers, it does need a roll bar added to correct the strength removed.
Just saying, try at your own risk!

So far, the heat and ac work really well. Everyone is covered and dry. When you roll up to a stop light, you get a rush of fresh air from outside.
I do have a link here, I titled it "need a little help here" Wrong title, I will just have to finish it as I figure it out. Is no set way.
Yes right now I want to apply bedliner to the truck, at least where the snaps will go.
I do not want to put them on or paint around them. But that is where am at.
Then some decent material to cover it and hand sewn, I wont get fancy and keep it basic.

But yeah it needs a top, but without it, is still a pleasure to drive.

ok I have the access door cut, tomorrow will pull the pump out.

I have been looking on rock auto for the new pump, now it seems they sell just the pump itself for $20 up to $100, then you can buy the whole assembly for $60 and up.

Can I just buy the $20 piece is what am wondering, think I would spend a little more in hopes of something that would last longer.
Can anyone share if they have had good or bad luck with just swapping out this one piece?

I have no knowledge of the maintenance on this truck.
If I pull the fuel pump and find out it has already been replaced, Not a ford oem pump, will the part still work?

I would like to order the part right away in hopes to get it in 3 day by Saturday is my problem.
Afraid to order it without seeing my actual pump. My wife needs the truck for work.
With my disability, am doing good with pulling the seats one day, cutting the access panel the next, pulling the pump will probably take most the day tomorrow. Most of that time looking for the tool for the hose connections :p

Have you checked any threads about the upper and lower manifold gaskets? My' 98 SOHC had the same symptoms and I was ready to cut a fuel pump access door when I came across the problem of fatigued upper and/or lower manifold gaskets. They shrink over time and allow a vacuum leak that throws p0171 and p0174 codes. Changed out the gasket sets and everything is fine. Both upper and lower gasket kits are less than $20 or so at Rock Auto. It does require that you pull off the manifold but that is a doable job. Just a thought.

One thing that can stop the fuel pump...

Is a clogged fuel filter...I don't know what your maintenance schedule is but what was the last time that filter was changed? If the fuel filter is clogged the lack of flow through the filter will stop the fuel pump from running...

To answer your question on the fuel pump pressure; yes you can use a tire pressure gauge to measure the fuel pressure... It is not the best tool for it but it will work in a pinch...

Now since you got the engine to run with starting fluid you can bet one of the problems is a lack of fuel... It can be a dead fuel pump or a clogged fuel filter stopping fuel flow to the engine...And a fuel filter is a lot easier to replace than the fuel pump and cost less to buy and replace...

Well I got the fuel pump out, very surprised to see it was original. Had a manu date of 06/11/98 on the housing and also the pump. The truck has 199591 miles on it, a birthday of 200k is just around the corner.

Thanks for the input ranger7ltr, I also ordered the fuel filter for it.
I thought about just trying to change the filter, I already had the access hole cut ... I saw the date on the tag for the fuel pump, I had to change it also.

I have to admit, I think the access door is a great improvement. Something the Builders should do when they build the car.
It is so simple to do, I will be doing it on any future explorers I may buy or build.
I would do it before any long trip or a day on the trail, and a xtra fuel pump in the tool box.
It is just a common problem and a 15 min fix, if you have the access hatch.
And learning that they are now making fuel pumps repairable, replaceable parts and not forced to buy the whole thing. Is awesome, and probably been been going on for 25 years now :D

I purchased a new pump kit and then ordered the sock and filter, should be all I need?
402-P2471__ra_p.jpg

Mark this one as solved.
I got the fuel pump and the fuel filter yesterday, the sock is coming from a different warehouse in Houston Texas, which is not far from Albuquerque. It was marked for a Monday delivery and here it is Wed and still not here.

I was very doubtful but I looked at the new after market pump and the oem sock, was a perfect fit.
The oem sock seemed to be in very good condition with no holes or tears, I had to use a punch to set the pinch washer, will take some force to pry it off. I am leaving it.

I did get the fuel filter in, to be honest I still have not located where they are installed at, the rangers is by the tank and would think the same on the explorer, but when it is sunny and the ground dries up I will locate and replace it.
So it was the pump and not the filter.

I've cut an access port to the fuel pump on 2 Explorers of mine :D
It somehow eases the mind with fuel related matters, especially with vehicles used in areas with salt in the winter + no having to roll on the ground. It's a good idea to make a cover for it to keep out critters, fumes and noise.

Grab a couple pumps from the scrap yard for cheap and really rest easy about it.

Back