Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Adding Homelink Garage Door Opener

hidden garage door opener

has anyone hacked the garage door opener? if so, where did you hid the module and put the button? i have a 2014 xlt and a new house with garage and looking for ideas.

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just put a sunvisor with homelink in it and replace your visor.

I don't **** money

You can find them used online for reasonable prices or people have bought the homelink module and taken the visor apart and installed it...other than the labor that is a $10-$15 project.

I love how people come in with low post counts, ask for help, get a suggestion and immediately bring the attitude.

calm down cowboy

it was a statement and if I WANTED the visor, I wouldn't asking. thanks for the advice. not needed though.

anyone with other ideas other than the homelink?? I don't want the homelink because the "labor" is what's fun about tinkering with a vehicle

My remote came with a silver clip thingy. I attached it to the remote(5 second job) and then clipped the remote with that silver clippy thingy to the visor(only another 5 seconds). It looks like a professional install, almost like it was made for that. No cowboys and no ****tin'.

not what i'm looking for

i'm looking for a HIDDEN HARD WIRED GARAGE DOOR OPENER

google it add then you can see what i'm asking about

this is NOT where my post should be located OBVIOUSLY

thanks guys

Perhaps a better description of what you meant would have helped to begin. I listened and googled it.

I see what you are doing now. Not a fan of it though.

There are plenty of spaces you could put it though. You are only limited by your imagination and talent.

Lots of questions come to mind too. How hidden do you want it? Are you looking to hide the switch because the video I watched really didn't hide the switch, just the transmitter.

If you want to really hide the switch I would say inside the main center console or under inside the SYNC compartment. Not hidden so much, knee bolster or panel off to the side of the steering wheel.

You could get really tricky and try to incorporate it into an existing button or even getting like a fog lamp headlight switch if you don't have fogs and using that button for it. Stuff like that.

has anyone hacked the garage door opener? if so, where did you hid the module and put the button? i have a 2014 xlt and a new house with garage and looking for ideas.

thanks
I take it you don't have the visor with the 3 buttons.
It took me a few seconds using the Forum's 'Search' program to find the following 2 threads;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=309107&highlight=garage+door+opener
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306904&highlight=garage+door+opener
As you can see, I merged your thread with the first linked thread (this one).
The 'Search' program is your friend.

Also, please add the 'model' of your Ex to your profile so it shows in the margin. Thank you.

Peter

No one has yet installed a 'hidden' hardwired opener or at least hasn't posted about it. Looks like you will be the first. Doing an Internet search brought up several items/ideas. As jmr061 mentioned, there should be several places to hide the module and switch. Good luck.

Peter

2016 Ford Explorer - Homelink Retrofit

Hi, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with lights in the driver's side visor. I'd like to add a Homelink module to it and was wondering if it's as easy as swapping out the visor with one that has the Homelink module in it?

Also, are other MY/Models compatible with the 2016 or do I have to stick with the same year and Model (ie: 2016 Ford Explorer)?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Hi, I have a 2016 Ford Explorer XLT with lights in the driver's side visor. I'd like to add a Homelink module to it and was wondering if it's as easy as swapping out the visor with one that has the Homelink module in it?

Also, are other MY/Models compatible with the 2016 or do I have to stick with the same year and Model (ie: 2016 Ford Explorer)?

Thanks in advance.

Rich

I've done this swap in a 2010 Fusion Sport and in a 2014 Edge SEL. It is pretty much as simple as swapping out the visor - as long as your car has the lighted visor, the power plug is exactly the same for a Homelink one. In both the Fusion and the Edge, after removing the screws holding the visor to the roof, I had to remove the A pillar trim and pull the headliner down a bit to get at the plug since it's glued up above the headliner. Plug it in and test it before reassembling. And be careful if there's an airbag in the A pillar.

If I had to guess I'd say you could use a visor from any 2011+ Explorer with the same color interior, but I don't know for sure whether or not the visors changed for 2016. Color matching was the hardest part for me, since I bought the visors used on Ebay.

I've done this swap in a 2010 Fusion Sport and in a 2014 Edge SEL. It is pretty much as simple as swapping out the visor - as long as your car has the lighted visor, the power plug is exactly the same for a Homelink one. In both the Fusion and the Edge, after removing the screws holding the visor to the roof, I had to remove the A pillar trim and pull the headliner down a bit to get at the plug since it's glued up above the headliner. Plug it in and test it before reassembling. And be careful if there's an airbag in the A pillar.

If I had to guess I'd say you could use a visor from any 2011+ Explorer with the same color interior, but I don't know for sure whether or not the visors changed for 2016. Color matching was the hardest part for me, since I bought the visors used on Ebay.

Thanks for the info and it seems pretty straightforward on the install. I haven't been able to find any detail on the differences in visors between 2016 and the earlier Gen 5 Explorers. On car-part.com has them as non interchangeable, but not sure I trust that.

Does anyone know if they are interchangeable?

My issue is getting the Lowes/Chamberlain openers programmed to it. After 25 trips up & down the,ladder. No issue with the Mercury Montego I had....

I'd love to know if they are the same or not as this is a mod I'm about to do. Price on them is always crazy, too. Even at nearly dealer cost it's not cheap. I know when I bought it for my 2011 F150 it retailed for around $600 and I ended up paying around $300..

I've seen people buy the Homelink / Car2U Pro modules online and just put them in their visor if you're interested in doing some work. I did one in my F150 and after installing it, it didn't work. Bought it on eBay, used, tested it with no issue before installing it too.

Can we get someone with a 2011 - 2015 to post up a few pictures of their driver's side visor?

My issue is getting the Lowes/Chamberlain openers programmed to it. After 25 trips up & down the,ladder. No issue with the Mercury Montego I had....

What year was the Mercury Montego? It was probably when you needed a repeater to make it work. My 2011 F150 requires one to work with my Chamberlain MyQ garage door openers.

I'd love to know if they are the same or not as this is a mod I'm about to do. Price on them is always crazy, too. Even at nearly dealer cost it's not cheap. I know when I bought it for my 2011 F150 it retailed for around $600 and I ended up paying around $300..

I've seen people buy the Homelink / Car2U Pro modules online and just put them in their visor if you're interested in doing some work. I did one in my F150 and after installing it, it didn't work. Bought it on eBay, used, tested it with no issue before installing it too.

Can we get someone with a 2011 - 2015 to post up a few pictures of their driver's side visor?

What year was the Mercury Montego? It was probably when you needed a repeater to make it work. My 2011 F150 requires one to work with my Chamberlain MyQ garage door openers.

Hello. I bought a Homelink unit, about $20, and installed it in my visor. Took maybe an hour. I was familiar with it as I installed one in a prior vehicle the same way. I also had the problem of the unit not appearing to work with my Chamberlain opener. I believe all opener manufacturers changed the security code frequency or something and the newer units need a repeater unit in order for the visor unit to work. I bought one of those units, about $30, and everything works great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't take pictures, but it appears the our 2011 XLT visors are the same as on our 2016 Sport, except that the Sport has the opener. The color looks the same.

To answer a previous question, my Montego was a 2005 Premier. I was using Craftsman Openers (circa 2001) in the old house & I linked it with no problem.

The Chamberlain (circa 2015), I believe, is the as an equivalent Craftsman. I don't know why I would need a repeater.

Back