Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations | Page 25 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Winter Tire and Wheel Recommendations

On my 2011, my winter tires do not have the TPMS. Very often the low pressure light doesn't come on for a good half hour after I've been driving.
That will sometimes happen when you park the vehicle in the garage where the other tires are stored. Members have reported that. Not sure if that maybe the case.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That will sometimes happen when you park the vehicle in the garage where the other tires are stored. Members have reported that. Not sure if that maybe the case.

Peter

That's exactly the case. My summer tires are about 15' away in the garage so I always presumed that the signal told the car everything was fine.

I traded in my 13 Taurus SHO but kept the 20 OEM winter wheels I had.

Unfortunately doesn't seem the sensors from 13 SHO register with the 16 Sport. They won't learn to the vehicle :( Here is what the vehicle looks like.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 566

My ride comes with winter tire package so I have 18” steel wheels and sensors but no centre caps. Can anyone please post part number of the cap? Or is there any aftermarket centre cap to chose?

My ride comes with winter tire package so I have 18” steel wheels and sensors but no centre caps. Can anyone please post part number of the cap? Or is there any aftermarket centre cap to chose?
I'm guessing that you don't have the 18" Interceptor wheel since most of the packages I saw at my dealership had the standard steel wheel. You may have to go with the full wheel cover as I did when I had the 17" steelies on my 2011 Limited. With my current 18" Interceptor wheels I had to get different wheel nuts in order to hold the center cap. The full cover also requires different wheel nuts in order to hold the cover
According to my invoice, the centre cap on the right is F87Z1130GB Cover - Wheel. Fordparts.com shows the price as $69.30 ea. My dealer charged me $20.

Peter

Attachments

• PB050253b.jpg
    PB050253b.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 534
  • PA290305_001.JPG
    PA290305_001.JPG
    33.2 KB · Views: 512

Thanks peterk9.

My steel wheel looks exactly like the same on your post above. $20 each I will take the cap but at $69.30 I will have to shop around first.

Anyway my winter tires are Michelin Latitude and I find them very nice in terms of quietness and comfort. I have been riding with these tires since I got the car because dealer installed them. Will see how it perform in snow later.

I believe the currently being offered winter tire package with new Explorer purchase in Canada has superior value. My dealer offered $750 off after tax for removing the package and I said NO! There is no way you can get a set of wheel, TPMS, 18” SUV snow tires for $750 after tax. But I did notice different dealership has different brand winter tires.

Thanks peterk9.

My steel wheel looks exactly like the same on your post above. $20 each I will take the cap but at $69.30 I will have to shop around first.

Anyway my winter tires are Michelin Latitude and I find them very nice in terms of quietness and comfort. I have been riding with these tires since I got the car because dealer installed them. Will see how it perform in snow later.

I believe the currently being offered winter tire package with new Explorer purchase in Canada has superior value. My dealer offered $750 off after tax for removing the package and I said NO! There is no way you can get a set of wheel, TPMS, 18” SUV snow tires for $750 after tax. But I did notice different dealership has different brand winter tires.
Check the cap price with your dealer's parts department first. My center cap on the invoice was originally shown as $23.54. Worth a try before shopping around plus you will need the proper wheel nuts as well if the OEM ones were used for your Winters.

Peter

Attachments

• P9180347_001.JPG
    P9180347_001.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 511

Where are you guys getting these wheels from that cheap?? I have contacted Canadian dealers and I don't think they really want to do business over the border. Thats just the vibe I get. Anyone from the states have any good dealerships that will ship, preferably more to the east, like Montreal area, thats not too far from me

I'm not stateside but try 'Avantage Ford' in Montreal West Island - been dealing with them the last few weeks and they seem to be stand up guys and willing to go the extra mile.

I had them throw winter tires and rims into the deal for my 2013 Sport which I bought online from Toronto. They had someone drive the car down to me, but messed up and sent me 20" winter tires expecting me to swap the rubber on the rim. They realized the mix up and this morning they had another driver deliver a set of interceptor rims with rubber (and took the 20" rubber back).

Now I just need to find some center caps - but if I mention 'tires' to my wife she'll beat me

Thanks to peterk9 again. Now I understand to add centre cap to Interceptor steel rims I need both lug nuts and caps:

Lug nuts: part # DG1Z1015A or DG1Z1012A, cost about $20 USD for each wheel
Centre cap: part # F87Z1130GB, cost about $35 to 45 USD for each wheel

So if I want to buy a new set then it would easily cost $220 USD or $300 CND. I probably will have to skip it for now.

I'm not stateside but try 'Avantage Ford' in Montreal West Island - been dealing with them the last few weeks and they seem to be stand up guys and willing to go the extra mile.

I had them throw winter tires and rims into the deal for my 2013 Sport which I bought online from Toronto. They had someone drive the car down to me, but messed up and sent me 20" winter tires expecting me to swap the rubber on the rim. They realized the mix up and this morning they had another driver deliver a set of interceptor rims with rubber (and took the 20" rubber back).

Now I just need to find some center caps - but if I mention 'tires' to my wife she'll beat me

thanks bud. Ill give them a shout

Winter Snow Tires?

I am thinking about putting dedicated Winter Snow Tires on my '14 Sport.
(driving in Northern Michigan)
Should I be concerned about a speed rating?
(I would want to be safe up to 90ish mph in dry conditions)
What brand recommendations can be made here?

I would prefer to keep costs down and swap 20's onto to the stock rims. I would consider going to a cheap rim with 18's. If 18's are used, do you reuse the stock TPMS in the 18er rim? Do you need to reprogram the ECU for an accurate speedometer reading?

You would purchase new TPMS sensors for your winter wheels.

If you keep the tire diameter for the 18's, the same or close to the same as the 20's, there is no reason to reprogram the ECU. Too many people think that changing the rim size affects the speedometer, when it's the tire's outside diameter that affects it.

Many people have noted Bridgestone Blizzak as the best winter tires.

I am thinking about putting dedicated Winter Snow Tires on my '14 Sport.
(driving in Northern Michigan)
Should I be concerned about a speed rating?
(I would want to be safe up to 90ish mph in dry conditions)
What brand recommendations can be made here?

I would prefer to keep costs down and swap 20's onto to the stock rims. I would consider going to a cheap rim with 18's. If 18's are used, do you reuse the stock TPMS in the 18er rim? Do you need to reprogram the ECU for an accurate speedometer reading?
I think you'll find most of your answers in this thread. There are members in your area that have gone across to Windsor and picked up the Interceptor steel wheels from a Canadian dealer. I paid $88 each for mine plus $20 for each center cap. As stated in another post in this thread, you will need different wheel nuts if you want to go with the center cap. You don't need to install the TPMS but you will have the warning light on all the time. If using TPMS, get a set for the new wheels rather than reusing the OEM ones.

Peter

Peter

I think you'll find most of your answers in this thread. There are members in your area that have gone across to Windsor and picked up the Interceptor steel wheels from a Canadian dealer. I paid $88 each for mine plus $20 for each center cap. As stated in another post in this thread, you will need different wheel nuts if you want to go with the center cap. You don't need to install the TPMS but you will have the warning light on all the time. If using TPMS, get a set for the new wheels rather than reusing the OEM ones.

Peter

Peter

Holy crap, I priced the centre cap and full wheel covers for my OEM Ford steel wheels. The centre caps @$70 ea. discounted plus new lugs. Full wheel covers 18" @ $100 not sure if lugs are required. Would you mind taking a couple of pics of your centre caps for me?.

Holy crap, I priced the centre cap and full wheel covers for my OEM Ford steel wheels. The centre caps @$70 ea. discounted plus new lugs. Full wheel covers 18" @ $100 not sure if lugs are required. Would you mind taking a couple of pics of your centre caps for me?.
Post 301 shows them on my MKT. Post 453 shows the cap as well as the full cover I had on the 17" steel wheels I used on the 2011 Explorer. That full cover required special lugs with a collar to hold the cover in place. Post 455 shows the lug nut used to hold the center cap.

Peter

Post 301 shows them on my MKT. Post 453 shows the cap as well as the full cover I had on the 17" steel wheels I used on the 2011 Explorer. That full cover required special lugs with a collar to hold the cover in place. Post 455 shows the lug nut used to hold the center cap.

Peter

I don't mind the centre cap but you're saying that your dealer sold them to you for $20 instead of $70?.

Finally got my order in and will be picking up my winters next week.
Generic 18" black steelies (hopefully they are hub centric), wrapped with Hankook Ipikes, plus tpms.

Oh man!, were you like the lady on the IKEA commercial?. START THE CAR, START THE CAR!!.

I could never find a deal like that. So a few shots of rust check will have to do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back