LED Headlight Conversions | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where would you buy the dust covers? I can't find them on ebay. Also, has anyone successfully installed LED lights and still put in the dust covers successfully? Thanks.

I found the dust covers for my 2014 Limited at www.oemfordpart.com . The part number is 4S4Z13N019AA. Price was $6.98 each.

The catalog listing shows it as an HID Bulb Cap (Left or Right), but it is the same cap for the halogen units.

Here is a link: http://www.oemfordpart.com/auto-par...ngine/electrical-cat/headlamp-components-scat

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do the OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs retain the OEM ability to switch from lo to hi beam?

I'm very interested in hearing more impressions of the OPT7 lights also. I am very unimpressed with the stock Halogen bulbs.

How does the low/high beam cutoff work (I understand that it is a physical flap for the explorer). I've heard that the LEDs seem to have a short throw, so I'd like to hear about high beam performance. Certainly the low beam performance looks impressive.

What is the final verdict on the dust cover? I'd prefer NOT to drive without seeing as we have harsh winters with salt.

I'm very interested in hearing more impressions of the OPT7 lights also. I am very unimpressed with the stock Halogen bulbs.

How does the low/high beam cutoff work (I understand that it is a physical flap for the explorer). I've heard that the LEDs seem to have a short throw, so I'd like to hear about high beam performance. Certainly the low beam performance looks impressive.

What is the final verdict on the dust cover? I'd prefer NOT to drive without seeing as we have harsh winters with salt.
Welcome to the Forum.:wavey:
The hi and lo beams are in fact controlled by a shutter. The LED low beams in the 2016 models according to posts I have read almost negate the requirement to use the halogen high beams. They are apparently that good.
Can't comment on any LED retro fit conversions.

Peter

Also like to know how the hi/low beam works. I'd really like to ditch the factory halogen but still want high beams.

Also like to know how the hi/low beam works. I'd really like to ditch the factory halogen but still want high beams.
See post 26. Shutter moves up for Hi and down partially for Lo beam. It's a single bulb.

Peter

So any 9005 hid/led conversion kit will still have high/low beam? The shutter is in the housing?

LED Brights

Just test drove another 16 Ex Platinum. Noticed the awesome regular headlights, but the brights were like a gross yellowish old school bright light... Anyone had any luck or have some information on upgrading those to fancy LEDs that match the headlights and give a better range?

Just test drove another 16 Ex Platinum. Noticed the awesome regular headlights, but the brights were like a gross yellowish old school bright light... Anyone had any luck or have some information on upgrading those to fancy LEDs that match the headlights and give a better range?
The difference is that the high beams are still using Halogen bulbs. Found this thread using the "search' program and merged yours with it.

Peter

Hey guys. My post just got merged with this thread... Interested in any info on the 16 Explorer Platinum model, and what sort of high beam mods can be done on a leased vehicle. The high beams looked pretty pathetic on a test drive, bad color, bad range. The regular beams looked great though. Want high beams to match

Hey guys. My post just got merged with this thread... Interested in any info on the 16 Explorer Platinum model, and what sort of high beam mods can be done on a leased vehicle. The high beams looked pretty pathetic on a test drive, bad color, bad range. The regular beams looked great though. Want high beams to match
Just remember that on a leased vehicle, you want to be able to return any mods back to the OEM state when you return it at lease end. You should also check the lease agreement to see if there are any provisions that prohibit any modifications to the vehicle. I didn't find any in mine.

Peter

Just remember that on a leased vehicle, you want to be able to return any mods back to the OEM state when you return it at lease end. You should also check the lease agreement to see if there are any provisions that prohibit any modifications to the vehicle. I didn't find any in mine.

I was assuming that with any of these plug 'n play solutions that it would be easy to return to OEM state.

That said, in a lease, let's say for example a bulb does go out... How is replacing the bulb with this mod different than buying one at AutoZone or something. Just because its not the same as the OEM model?

I was assuming that with any of these plug 'n play solutions that it would be easy to return to OEM state.

That said, in a lease, let's say for example a bulb does go out... How is replacing the bulb with this mod different than buying one at AutoZone or something. Just because its not the same as the OEM model?
I've replaced the bulbs in all my leased Highlanders with ones that are brighter. No issues at all with that. I'm referring to mods where you have to cut wires and/or modify existing OEM parts (dust shields) to accommodate upgraded lighting systems.

Peter

I've replaced the bulbs in all my leased Highlanders with ones that are brighter. No issues at all with that. I'm referring to mods where you have to cut wires and/or modify existing OEM parts (dust shields) to accommodate upgraded lighting systems.

Agree. I am trying to avoid that if there is a solution that works in the 16 Explorer Platinum to get some upgraded high-beams... I only was in the car for about 20 minutes at night, in a lit parking lot, but could tell they weren't good at all.

LED Headlight Replacement Bulb Question

I bought Lumens H11 LED foglight replacement bulbs and they are great. Lots of power and look great. Burnt out one of my Phillips Crystal Vision tonight and thought about getting the Lumens 9005 LED replacement bulbs for the headlights. What would the result be as it is a projector LED bulb insight a projector lens? Wondering if it and the foglights would have the same power as my normal halogen headlights alone.

Lumens lights are here for reference: http://lumenshid.com/fog_led.html

Thoughts and suggestions appreciated. Planning on trading this summer this not wanting to spent a mint on a full ballast kit.

Has anyone tried this route? Given there are are projectors in our trucks, they should not create excessive glare for oncoming traffic.

Thanks.

Darren

I just installed LED headlights. They work great. Doesn't seam to have any glare to them, however they are a little different from HIDs. Super easy install though and don't have to worry about the ballasts and relay kits. I have found that the light output is about the same as the HIDs and are instant on compared to the warm up period. I like them and will most likely sell my HID kit even though I just bought it.

Thank you for the response. Could you please share what you used: product type and part number? Cost?
Did you use the kit with the bulbs, heat sinks etc or just the replacement bulbs?

Thanks again.

Darren

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I bought both of the kits off of Xenonhids.com. The LED kit comes with the LED bulb and a fan attached to it. Hooks right into the factory light set up. The HID kit comes with relay bulbs all the wiring and I bought the 55 watt ballasts.

Back