Glowing Red Cats after Intake Manifold Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Glowing Red Cats after Intake Manifold Change

kware1

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
Hello Folks-

I've been searching some past posts and haven't really found a solid solution to my problem.

Recently I changed my intake manifold which was leaking profusely. Other than that the truck ran fine.

After changing the manifold the truck has been running rough, knocking, and lacking power. Once the check engine light came on I went down to my local advance auto, which gave a code number of P0174. (Lean Bank 2) Since I recently had all the hoses everything apart for the manifold replacement, I suspected a vacuum hose may not be fully seated or something basic like that.

When I pulled into my garage the truck smelled like it was burning wood or something. I peaked underneath and found the drivers side catalytic converter glowing red.

From what Ive been reading in the posts, this means the cat is gone. Others seem as though an air leak could cause this situation.

Could it just be a coincidence that my cat goes right after I change the manifold? Or did something in the change causing the cat to over heat.

In either case, does the cat need to be changed...or should I be trying to find out why the air/fuel mixture is off? The last thing I need is to change the cat only to have it go again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have a vacuum leak, it is something you did. re-check your work.

Yeah. I know one thing I didn't do was replace the O Rings on the injectors. I felt they were in good shape. Do they definitely have to be replaced if removed? Also, if I found the culprit. Will that solve the catalytic problem or is it damaged as a result of the lean condition? Thanks for your help.

So I know this is an old thread I apologize for necromancing but this forum has helped me so I figured I'd post on this for other folks. I put in a new intake manifold as my old one leaked coolant. The truck ran extremely rough I replaced all 8 injectors and it still ran bad looked for a vacuum leak nothing. Replaced egr and 02 sensors. Nothing helped had cats installed the shop showed me how the new ones were glowing red almost immediately after start up. At this point I googled the symptoms and found this thread as well as another saying it was a vacuum leak. I bought a third replacement manifold. Upon removal I found the issue a pinched and melted 02 sensor wire. $2000 later the issue was a stupid wire in the back. I suspect it caused a vacuum leak as well as shorting out the 02 sensor causing the truck to run super rich.

So I know this is an old thread I apologize for necromancing but this forum has helped me so I figured I'd post on this for other folks. I put in a new intake manifold as my old one leaked coolant. The truck ran extremely rough I replaced all 8 injectors and it still ran bad looked for a vacuum leak nothing. Replaced egr and 02 sensors. Nothing helped had cats installed the shop showed me how the new ones were glowing red almost immediately after start up. At this point I googled the symptoms and found this thread as well as another saying it was a vacuum leak. I bought a third replacement manifold. Upon removal I found the issue a pinched and melted 02 sensor wire. $2000 later the issue was a stupid wire in the back. I suspect it caused a vacuum leak as well as shorting out the 02 sensor causing the truck to run super rich.

Nice first post. Thank you. :thumbsup:

Back