Dislike the 2016 Key Fob Design? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Dislike the 2016 Key Fob Design?

I do have to say that the explorers smart key is huge compared to other cars nowadays there's no reason to have a remote this huge especially since unlike all the cars I mentioned before there is no integrated emergency key inside the fob itself.

The large keys for a 2016 Ford Taurus do have integrated emergency keys inside of them.

I'll get pics on Monday.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The large keys for a 2016 Ford Taurus do have integrated emergency keys inside of them.

I'll get pics on Monday.

th_2015-11-21%2011.03.50_zpsqkvbvett.jpg

th_2015-11-21%2007.56.34_zpshrxboc9a.jpg

Here's the key in the remote of my 2016 Explorer Sport.

Ive had a few cars with the smart keys 08 Highlander, 10 Acura TL, 15 Outlander, 16 explorer XLT and I've never hit the button by mistake on any of them. The outlander does have a separate huge stick for just the auto start that has a lock button so u don't turn it on by mistake. I do have to say that the explorers smart key is huge compared to other cars nowadays there's no reason to have a remote this huge especially since unlike all the cars I mentioned before there is no integrated emergency key inside the fob itself. I almost leased an RX and they actually have a smart key credit card that's the size of a card and as thick as 4 credit cards, it has an emergency key in it so you put in your wallet and never ever think about a key ever again. That would be awesome.

In regards to the RX350, it comes with 2 keyfobs and a "wallet" smart card.
However, the key fobs do indeed have the integrated keys in them also and a similar thickness to the 2016 Ford keyfobs (except it's squared shape).

The main difference I noticed are the button on Ford's keyfobs are somewhat raised , while other manufacturers (such as Lexus) have the buttons indented inwards.

As promised, here are a few pictures of the keys to a new 2016 Ford Taurus.

fU8cdP.jpg

6MbuFC.jpg

Same IA fob as the 2011 - 2015 Explorers. Wonder why they changed it for 2016?

Peter

Same IA fob as the 2011 - 2015 Explorers. Wonder why they changed it for 2016?

Peter

I wonder if it would be possible to program an older style fob for a new Explorer.

The 16 Taurus did not go through a redesign. The 16 Explorer not only got a face lift...it got an entirely new electrical system which is why the FOBs are different.

The 2016 FOB's are the same as what I had with my 2013 Fusion. I never set any alarms off with either one and I carry the FOB in my pants pocket without any other keys attached to it. I actually like the FOB design.

...for the size I wish they had an internal LED, even a bit of glow at nite would help.
This fob is useless in the dark...

I have my Sport since June now and I didn't hit the panic button on accident once. I have it on my key chain with other keys, sometimes in my purse, sometimes in my jeans pocket and sometimes in my jacket.
I don't think a design is "flawed" just because one person has problems with it.

+1
Same person that would be complaining if they made it too small. "I keep losing it. WTF Ford!"

I have not had an issue with it. It's funny, because someone with a Highlander at work has his go off about 5 times a week. Man I would hate to see the forum thread on that one :D

I'm happy for you and you're entitled to your opinion. Don't knock my experience or the conclusion I arrived at on the basis of that experience.

I definitely don't knock your experience, I'm just saying that I wouldn't come to the conclusion "flawed" for this FOB model based on your experience.

+1
Same person that would be complaining if they made it too small. "I keep losing it. WTF Ford!"

I have not had an issue with it. It's funny, because someone with a Highlander at work has his go off about 5 times a week. Man I would hate to see the forum thread on that one :D

Ah, no there would not be a complaint. Just because one makes an observation about current design does not support that same person complaining that they made it too small. Dude, it's not about size.

Happy for your experience.

I definitely don't knock your experience, I'm just saying that I wouldn't come to the conclusion "flawed" for this FOB model based on your experience.

Well, you did and still do. To each their own.

Ah, no there would not be a complaint. Just because one makes an observation about current design does not support that same person complaining that they made it too small. Dude, it's not about size.

Happy for your experience.

Understood. But when you speak in absolutes (not just observations), these are the type of responses you will get on the internet. As you called the design a "PITA" others have a right to testify their positive experiences, contrary as they may be to yours.

I like the Ford design and I prefer OEM.

Local custom shops (that perform alarms / tinting / radar detectors / clear bras etc) often provide aftermarket solutions to things like this. I purchased an F150 without the key fobs a few years back, and I was able to have them sell and program me a set.

Well, you did and still do. To each their own.

I didn't, I disagree with your conclusion not your experience, which is obviously different to mine.

Anyways, as Ecobeast just mentioned, maybe there is an aftermarket one that you like better and can exchange for the ones you have now, if you find it worth while depending on how long you want to keep your Ex.

You could take the remote apart and remove the little button for the panic function if you really were that desperate.

DON"T REMOVE THE BUTTON!!!!

You can put a little piece of tap across the contact. This way, the change is reversible without damaging the IAK.

Follow instructions for changing the battery. By the time you see the battery, you will see where you can put the tape.

DON"T REMOVE THE BUTTON!!!!

You can put a little piece of tap across the contact. This way, the change is reversible without damaging the IAK.

Follow instructions for changing the battery. By the time you see the battery, you will see where you can put the tape.

How is putting a piece of tape over it going to solve that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 313

Understood. But when you speak in absolutes (not just observations), these are the type of responses you will get on the internet. As you called the design a "PITA" others have a right to testify their positive experiences, contrary as they may be to yours.

I like the Ford design and I prefer OEM.

Local custom shops (that perform alarms / tinting / radar detectors / clear bras etc) often provide aftermarket solutions to things like this. I purchased an F150 without the key fobs a few years back, and I was able to have them sell and program me a set.

I appreciate your perceptive and 100% agree that others can and should testify to their experiences, just as I did. That's what this forum is intended for. What might be a PITA design in my opinion can be world class, functional design to someone else. Maybe we are outliers? Who knows, who cares.

With regard to my speaking in absolutes, I expressed an opinion based upon observable behavior. Opinion is always subjective. My experience led to my opinion, and I did not say that other's experiences were not relevant or correct. For them it has equal value as mine does for me.

That's all there is to say about it. (As an example of an absolute). :)

I didn't, I disagree with your conclusion not your experience, which is obviously different to mine.

Anyways, as Ecobeast just mentioned, maybe there is an aftermarket one that you like better and can exchange for the ones you have now, if you find it worth while depending on how long you want to keep your Ex.

The simple solution was to remove the FOB from the key ring. Since doing this I still carry the FOB in my pocket and have had zero instances of the alarm activating.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How is putting a piece of tape over it going to solve that?

Wow, that is different than mine. Sorry for misspeaking.

I guess you could cut a piece of cardboard with a small hole to put on top of the button switch so that pushing the outer rubber button doesn't push the switch closed.

Back